🇭🇰 Hong Kong | Hong Kong Milk Tea?

Wanted try Hong Kong milk tea in Hong Kong 九龍塘
Any good local Milk Tea shops to recommend (will be in 九龍塘 , so non chain shops in this area), there for a quick meeting/stopover on the way to EU.

Kowloon for those who don’t know the characters.

1 Like

Thank you, your better than Google!!
which for me showed 九龍塘 =Jiu Long Tang

4 Likes

Go to any tai Hing (太興) and get their cold milk tea.

3 Likes

That’s Kowloon Tong in English, for those who can’t read Chinese.

yep, quite different indeed from Kowloon proper

I will go and try (can I only order a drink??)

Turn it into a snack time with a pineapple bun (菠蘿包) or a similar light food. :yum:

Guy

1 Like

They don’t sell milk tea in shops. They sell them at 茶餐廳 which are casual local cafes. They all taste about the same, and your options will be pretty limited if you are only looking in Kowloon Tong which is a pretty upscale neighborhood, so just go to the first one you find. You don’t have to order food.

1 Like

If I am hungry will try, but want save room for the airline lounge, I heard CX lounge is nice and will get to try it? Have you used CX ones and which is good as it seems they have more than one

1 Like

If you have access to CX’s business class lounges at HK International Airport, you will have three choices for your lounge: The Wing (closest to the immigration / security check point—crowded and not really recommended unless your departure gate is right there); The Deck (compact, not bad, not the best); and The Pier (farthest away from the immigration / security check point, way out near gate 65, and the most impressive in my opinion, with multiple areas to relax and a nice tea area at the end of the lounge). More details here:

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/destinations/lounges/hong-kong-international-airport-lounges/the-pier.html

If you have access to the first class lounges, then you’ll need to let me know about them, as this is well above my status!

Guy

1 Like

yes, will visit the Uni there,

haha, should be business class, did not know first has its own? My company only gives business on very long (EU) flights, so can not use the CX in the KHH airport it seems?

and thanks, I will try to use the pier as make it sound much better and has tea! and 菠蘿包?

2 Likes

Since you’ll be entering HK International Airport after your layover, your best route to get to The Pier is to clear immigration and security (of course), then head to the connecting train that takes you closer to gate 65. You can walk if you like to get some exercise, but it would probably take around 15 minutes of fast walking to get there from immigration.

Guy

1 Like

The Pier has a variety of sweets and snacks in the tea area at the back—but I have not seen those buns there.

If you want food, the default choice is the dan dan mien at the noodle bar. There should be other Chinese options in that area too. For early morning arrivals at HKG, my preferred choice is the congee as congee prepared Cantonese style reminds me of home. :yum:

Guy

1 Like

Yeah, but I also suggest u to try some decent siumei there, I always get the chasiu yaugai siugap (so BBQ pork, soya chicken and BBQ duck) with rice at tai Hing, with their amazing cold milk tea, since the ice there is served AROUND the milk tea, not inside. It doesn’t dilute it, just cool it down. Good shit

2 Likes

Thank you for your appreciation! Happy to have helped

These are the best. The Absolute best.

Here is some extra pro tip when ordering milk tea, so the boss doesn’t think you’re clueless:

1. All milk tea in HK is 絲襪奶茶 or “stockings milk tea” so you don’t actually say that when you order. It’s just called milk tea in HK.

2. If you’d like to try 鴛鴦 don’t call it 鴛鴦奶茶 as it is not a milk tea. It is half tea and half coffee, with milk added.

3. The little spoon is for stirring the tea, not for drinking it! (I’m sure you know this already, but just in case. I’ve had friends visiting from Taiwan try to drink their milk tea with the spoon!)

4. No need to smile or be extra polite to the boss (or waiter/waitress), as they will not do the same for you (strangers do not normally smile to each other in HK). Just tell them what you want to order, and make it quick. Don’t ask 100 questions.

5. Bring your own tissue. Most places don’t provide them, and some places charge for them.

6. Don’t automatically assume the boss/waiter/waitress speaks Mandarin, because that’s not one of the official languages there. They would not come to Taiwan and assume you speak Cantonese, right? You can still speak in Mandarin because they probably at least understand basics (no need to ask), but first apologize that your Cantonese is bad before you start ordering. If they really don’t understand you, then you can try English.

7. If by chance you are being treated very poorly or unfairly, just apologize and tell them you are visiting from Taiwan, and then they will drop the attitude.

2 Likes

4 Likes