Hong Kong's Professional Elite Regret Pre-1997 Exodus

There’s no doubt that some segment of the population is always going to be susceptible to the allure of the ‘foreign devil’ myth, no matter what the facts are:

“Do you think Saddam Hussein’s regime in Iraq was directly involved in planning, financing, or carrying out the terrorist attacks of September 11th, 2001?”

41%: yes. (up 5% from 2004)

– Newsweek Poll, June 23, 2007

: but there’s less excuse for such bone-headed thinking than ever before in history.

Dunno, spook, there’s so much competing noise, with so many willing to deliberately bleat mistruths. If they do it loudly, vociferously and vehemently enough, well then it must be true, right?

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Dunno, spook, there’s so much competing noise, with so many willing to deliberately bleat mistruths. If they do it loudly, vociferously and vehemently enough, well then it must be true, right?

HG[/quote]

HG, you’ll have to ask our resident experts on foreign devils, ac_dropout and Fred Smith, to explain the connection between reality and repetition. I’m afraid I’m a bonehead when it comes to understanding either phenomenon.

[quote=“Quentin”]Have you ever actually lived in HK, AC?

Or even actually been there?[/quote]
Like Taiwan, I visit quite frequently. Unlike Taiwan, one only need to worry about gwai lo, Ah-Singh, and a couple of boat people as undesirable. Unlike Taiwan, the seas part if you’re a fat cat from the Mainland.

Not to mention the fashion sense is impeccable in HK. A place where a woman or man understand the 5 keys to perfect foundation application. It’s metrosexual heaven.

And Jackie’s political commentary are so insightful.

But back on point, don’t you think the western media over-exaggerated the “dangers” of HK returning to China? It’s been 10 years now. Those people that fled are now returning. Those that cannot return have “regrets” of leaving. And even the most ardent TI supporters have moved to HK for better money.

The facts speak for themselves, the media, especially the western media was wrong. Swallow your pride and just admit you’re wrong. :laughing: :laughing:

ac_dropout, would you say the 41% rule holds true in China, too, or is your reality quotient higher than ours? That wouldn’t be surprising, if so, given the fact that your civilization has a four-thousand year head start on ours.

Never done it before, but i just squeeled like a church lady on you ac. I’m seriously hoping the mods kick your pathetic racist arse to the kerb for your racially driven trolling.

Hopefully that will be you gone for awhile.

HG

[quote=“ac_dropout”][quote=“Quentin”]Have you ever actually lived in HK, AC?

Or even actually been there? [/quote]Like Taiwan, I visit quite frequently. [/quote]

So in other words, you don’t know much, do you. And you hide behind a foreign passport.

[quote]gwai lo, Ah-Singh, and a couple of boat people as undesirable[/quote].

And you’re a hypocrit.

Only certain select fatcats. The rest get crapped on by the Honkies. :laughing:

I would say whatever the PRC is doing, it is currently working. Even the 2 system, 1 country model is working in HK.

If the leadership in the PRC can be that pragmatic, and not end up in a pissing war with media, what is wrong with ROC is my real question. How many Taiwanese have you guys met recently that “regret” leaving Taiwan?

Where’s ROC propaganda of 8 years under the DPP administration and how overseas ROC citizens “regret” leaving Taiwan?

[quote=“Elegua”]So in other words, you don’t know much, do you. And you hide behind a foreign passport. [/quote]Just like every other foreigner here. Best make up your mind about my “foreign” status, argument cuts both ways.

In a shock-jock-ironic-type of way. If it is lost on you, your lost, not mine.

Maybe in Macau at the crap table.

I’m always surprised at HK culture. All this contempt for the PRC. But once a fat cat comes in, the syphocants that come out of the wood works always shock me. Gwailo, ah-Singh, native Hongers…the speed at which these two-face move between these bipolar attitude is inhuman. Even TI business people in the PRC have a line they won’t cross. HK is pragmatism at the extreme.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]
HK papers were basically UK papers at the time. No better than a mouthpiece. Droning on and on about Patten, the great fearless leader, to save the oppress masses of HK from the draconian PRC. [/quote]
BULLSHIT. 100% BULLSHIT.
Look back at Wenhuibao and Dagongbao archives for May and June of '89. Scathing coverage of the demonstrations and what followed. Those papers most certainly were not getting their coverage from western media. You have absolutely no fucking clue what you’re talking about.

[quote=“ac_dropout”][quote=“Quentin”]Have you ever actually lived in HK, AC?

Like Taiwan, I visit quite frequently. Unlike Taiwan, one only need to worry about gwai lo, Ah-Singh, and a couple of boat people as undesirable. Unlike Taiwan, the seas part if you’re a fat cat from the Mainland.

Not to mention the fashion sense is impeccable in HK. A place where a woman or man understand the 5 keys to perfect foundation application. It’s metrosexual heaven.

And Jackie’s political commentary are so insightful.

But back on point, don’t you think the western media over-exaggerated the “dangers” of HK returning to China? It’s been 10 years now. Those people that fled are now returning. Those that cannot return have “regrets” of leaving. And even the most ardent TI supporters have moved to HK for better money.

The facts speak for themselves, the media, especially the western media was wrong. Swallow your pride and just admit you’re wrong. :laughing: :laughing:[/quote]
Quoted, for the record.

China’s bloody history under the communists until that point wasn’t a secret and the western media never had a monopoly on it.

Maybe in Macau at the crap table. [/quote]

No, mostly in Kowloon electronic stores, but elsewhere also. The locals rub their hands with glee when they see another bunch of mainland tourists in for shopping. Makes a pleasant change from all the illegal mainland beggars and prostitutes. But it doesn’t stop there. A bunch of mainlanders were bashed at the tram peak for pushing in not that long ago. Another copped a beating at Ocean Park. You’re ignorance knows no bounds.

Funny I guessed because of your crap English you had to speak and read Chinese, but it is becoming glaringly apparent that your lame English is all you have. I mean if you read or speak Chinese and came here for even a day, you would understand local attitudes. If you bothered to read ANY HK Chinese newspapers from 1989, excluding the PRC mouthpieces, or or asked anyone who was here at the time (allowing your racist comfort factor of asking a Chinese since you already had replies from white people that were here), you wouldn’t have come out with your stupid idiotic post.

Is that a hint of insight? Not quite. The people of HK are equally fair weather friends as you and your family seeking solace in the US. It’s very much the Chinese way. Call it lessons from five thousand glorious years of shovelling pig shit while avoiding the real big stink.

HG

Jive Turkey,

Those credible pro-CCP and pro-HK-SAR broadsheet are like islands of truth in a sea of mis-information. Not to mention their Chinese grammar is impeccable.

No one is denying the occurrence of 6/4. The question is more about the approach of 1997 and the handover. The pro-CCP papers didn’t have the alarmist that the end of HK as they knew it was over. That the best days were behind them. That the unknown was a vacuum to be filled by apprehension instead of hope.

[quote]Quote:
And you’re a hypocrit.

In a shock-jock-ironic-type of way. If it is lost on you, your lost, not mine.[/quote]

Not really…originally your tales of persecution came across more like whining. Now it’s more like Imus.

[quote]Elegua wrote:
So in other words, you don’t know much, do you. And you hide behind a foreign passport.
Just like every other foreigner here. Best make up your mind about my “foreign” status, argument cuts both ways. [/quote]

Yeah, you think that you’ve got the market cornered because you’re Chinese; when really you’re just as ignorant as the guy across the isle from you on the flight over from Chicago .

Is that what bothers you - the syphocants - or are you feeling left out in the cold?

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“ac_dropout”]
But back on point, don’t you think the western media over-exaggerated the “dangers” of HK returning to China?

[/quote]

China’s bloody history under the communists until that point wasn’t a secret and the western media never had a monopoly on it.[/quote]
Geez, one can say that about any country large or small.

I’m just throwing out there the silly idea that propaganda in the media, mass issuing of visas, etc; are tools used by countries to try in destabilize those they see as strategic competitors.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]
I’m just throwing out there the silly idea that propaganda in the media, mass issuing of visas, etc; are tools used by countries to try in destabilize those they see as strategic competitors.[/quote]

Please stitch your sphincter shut; you are talking through it.

BroonArse

Huang Guang Chen,

Sorry that I don’t fit your stereotype of whatever you thought I was. The master of perception management strikes again.

HK is a souless place at times. I’m always surprised at how HK is able to change the kindess people into the most desperate gold-diggers in less than a year.

You mean like the majority of people on this forum. :laughing:
Any other broad strokes of insight you have to discredit everyone on this site.

Not really. One just needs to remember to not let their flattery get to one’s head, they need to make a living like everyone else. It’s not like Taiwan where there is space to hide on the farm. To them wealth equals success. To me wealth is transient, a score keeper at best. Success is an accomplishment that one pursues throughout life.

But I wonder if it is this pragmatism among Hongers that allow them to work within the HK-SAR.

[quote=“Jive Turkey”][quote=“ac_dropout”][quote=“Quentin”]Have you ever actually lived in HK, AC?

[/quote]
Quoted, for the record.[/quote]
Thank you for keeping a collection of my zingers for my future book.
See it’s not so bad working for a Chinese jook xin boss. :laughing:
You’re a credit to your people, spread the gospel of ac_dropout. :laughing:

[quote]Elegua wrote:
when really you’re just as ignorant as the guy across the isle from you on the flight over from Chicago .

You mean like the majority of people on this forum.
Any other broad strokes of insight you have to discredit everyone on this site.[/quote]

I don’t agree. From the posts, most people have a less racist and more balanced view than you. I need not do anything more than write in broad strokes as your posts explain your situation well enough.

[quote]Quote:
Is that what bothers you - the syphocants - or are you feeling left out in the cold?

Not really. One just needs to remember to not let their flattery get to one’s head, they need to make a living like everyone else. It’s not like Taiwan where there is space to hide on the farm. To them wealth equals success. To me wealth is transient, a score keeper at best. Success is an accomplishment that one pursues throughout life.

But I wonder if it is this pragmatism among Hongers that allow them to work within the HK-SAR.[/quote]

Yah, so what’s this go to do with the price of eggs? (I realize you are just answering what I asked - but still - what’s the point of the original comment?)

Elegua,

How so? People on this board can’t even agree if I’m Chinese or an American yet. A CCP lap dog. Or whatever nonsense they can come up that day.

Let’s focus on the thread, instead of worrying about how many frequent flyer miles I’ve racked up over the years. How Americanized is ac_dropout? How Chinese is ac_dropout? Irrelevant really, given the demographic of the posters here.

Ask a simple question like that and everyone’s insecurities come out. I’m not here to play on white guilt or do comparative culture studies.

To recap, before the masses went totally off topic. There are Chinese that emigrated from HK because of 1997 now living in regret oversea. Probably because they are missing the economic boom in the region. Like those Taiwanese that left Taiwan prior to 1980’s economic boom.

To what extent is the western media at the time responsible for the scare?
Did western perspection of the PRC cause Hongers to misjudge what HK has become under SAR?
Did PRC learn from western coverage of 6/4 on how to manage HK properly under SAR?