Horrible dating experiences in Taiwan

Are asian guys undatable?

Seriously, I’ve been in Taiwan for quite a while now and haven’t had one serious
dating experience :frowning: I’m at my campus most of the time and there’s some really nice guys here but they’re sooo hard to get! It’s really annoying because they’re geeky home boys so they should fall into my traps easily, but nopes. They never have time they are involved in ten tousand schoolprojects etc :s

All the guys I’ve been involved with here have been boring one-night-stands, and I don’t even want that kind of guys. I’ve been to some nightclubs in Taipei (Luxy, Room18, Passoa, Wax, Roxxy etc) but I seldom enjoy it there. I’ve tried the only nightclub in Hsinchu but the guys there are so not my type (you know the short, pierced, RnB guys that doesn’t know a word english).

I got really depressed yesterday when the latest boy of interest also ditched me. He’s a super cute computer engineer with perfect english and the same interests as me, I have his msn and as soon as I say something about “take a coffee, see a movie, have lunch etc” he stops responding (just like the other guys :ponder: :cry: )

So to the question, WHERE can I find some nice guys that WILL have time for me WITHOUT going to a nightclub?

That’s odd, I would think they’d be all over you if your profile pic is any indication of your real looks.

Maybe you’re coming on too strong. Seems like Taiwanese guys like the meek, submissive type.

Be the light bulb NOT the moth.

Well said!

[quote=“Nevernude”]That’s odd, I would think they’d be all over you if your profile pic is any indication of your real looks.
[/quote]

Too true! If that’s you in your profile pic, you’re gorgeous! There again, I’ve been conned before online by a girl who said she looked like Sade (That gorgeous singer with Nigerian/English ancestry) but who turned out to look like a troll. So I can’t imagine you being ignored if you look as cute as your avatar pic is.

Post a picture that’s not from some angle then I will tell you :laughing: . Seriously, the key for girl to play (for lack of better word) is seduction… be subtle about it. You need to make them feel like they’re making the move while the actul fact is you’re setting the trap… (again for lack of better word). I am a guy and I certainly enjoy the leading part even when it’s illustional:p, girls usually make the decision on whether they want to open up to me or not.

I left Taiwan when I was 15, wouldn’t know how guys acts there, but pretty sure you can find some guy (pretty sure more than some) dig white chicks.

Side note though, you like guys a bit nerdy, and a bit shy? If that’s the case, try to chat them up (in person) as much as possible without being annoying. Even if you do a good percentage of the talking, you should still be able to tell if they’re interested. As embarassing as it is, I was pretty geeky back in high school I have to say, certainly didn’t mind when girls paid attention to me.

Err if I was a girl I would probably not advertise too much about my “one nite stands” . Just sayin.

We all want those girls but maybe not to err “date” ?

Maybe sometimes its good to be like madonna and be “like” a virgin?

It seems you have two problems. You’re looking in the wrong places, you’re looking for the wrong guys.

1. Don’t meet guys in bars, or Universities, or book stores, or all the other cliched places most people will tell you.

2. If you want to date a Taiwanese guy, you can’t look on campus. There are alot of normal, cool guys who I play basketball with on various courts around Taipei. They are less meek and nerdy than the average Taiwanese, although they still seem to call fouls all the time. I’m not suggesting that you hang out on the basketball court to pick up guys, but just be conscious of the places you are trying to meet guys, and specifically what kind of guys you are going to meet at those places.

Finding a proper Taiwanese girlfriend is tough too. Foreign girls always think it’s so easy, but finding a girlfriend who doesn’t want to use you as an English tutor, likes to do things other than sit around and watch TV, doesn’t make strange squeaking noises all the time, and has arms that are actually wider than her elbows is not that easy. You just have to look in the right places.

You are not having much luck with the local guys at the north part of Taiwan, hein? At least Hsinchu is closer to Taipei and people in the north are more open, less traditional. If you come to the south here, Kaoshiung, the climate for dating is even drier. And the local guys here are more traditional, their moms need to know you better before they even consider you as a dating material (spoken from personal experience). The local girls need dad’s approval, the local guys need the mothers to check you up first.

But you know, we can try saving money and spend the summer vacation in Alaska. I heard that the ratio of men x women there are pretty good or if you have read the news lately, China might be a good place, there are more men there than women.

True dat. I’d add that you should be careful what you wish for.

Is it the unattainable that is so attractive? If so, then listen to Uncle Bubba. It’s much more fun to be the unattainable one than to be chasing those who are unattainable.

[quote=“Nevernude”]That’s odd, I would think they’d be all over you if your profile pic is any indication of your real looks.

Maybe you’re coming on too strong. Seems like Taiwanese guys like the meek, submissive type.[/quote]

yes I think I look better than my profile picture coz I’m skinnier and I don’t have any piercings. And yes, a lot of guys are interested in me but as soon as I start to show some interest they run away :ponder:

My only requirements are;
1) Good hygiene
2) taller than me (I’m 166 but over 175 is a minimum)
3) fluent in english (german and swedish would be acceptable too :neutral: )

Is this too much to ask?

and no, I am not meek and submissive because I know that time is a very important parameter in dating here. I don’t have time, I want NOW! :astonished:

I am the light bulb allright, not helping…

Honey, you just think you are. The proof is in the pudding.

Really, if your only criteria are ‘doesn’t stink, is able to communicate in one of my langages and a random genetic thing’, you aren’t exactly makin’ 'em feel special, are you? Or that you are much of a prize?

He is a beautiful, unique shining soul and you have never met anyone as interesting or hot as he. Got that?

[quote=“tommy525”]Err if I was a girl I would probably not advertise too much about my “one night stands” . Just sayin.

We all want those girls but maybe not to err “date” ?

Maybe sometimes its good to be like madonna and be “like” a virgin?[/quote]

Oh that sucked. It’s not that I “advertise about my one-night-stands” sorry granpa - I want a sexlife! :astonished: Don’t worry, I dont walk around with a big sign that says “HEY I am actually NOT a virgin!”

[quote=“Byshguy”]It seems you have two problems. You’re looking in the wrong places, you’re looking for the wrong guys.

1. Don’t meet guys in bars, or Universities, or book stores, or all the other cliched places most people will tell you.

2. If you want to date a Taiwanese guy, you can’t look on campus. There are alot of normal, cool guys who I play basketball with on various courts around Taipei. They are less meek and nerdy than the average Taiwanese, although they still seem to call fouls all the time. I’m not suggesting that you hang out on the basketball court to pick up guys, but just be conscious of the places you are trying to meet guys, and specifically what kind of guys you are going to meet at those places.

Finding a proper Taiwanese girlfriend is tough too. Foreign girls always think it’s so easy, but finding a girlfriend who doesn’t want to use you as an English tutor, likes to do things other than sit around and watch TV, doesn’t make strange squeaking noises all the time, and has arms that are actually wider than her elbows is not that easy. You just have to look in the right places.[/quote]

So I should not date my type of guys? I should date your type of guys, naa I don’t think so. I like geeky smart guys that doesn’t play basketball. I don’t want a boyfriend, I just want to date for crying out loud!

[quote=“Buttercup”]Honey, you just think you are. The proof is in the pudding.

Really, if your only criteria are ‘doesn’t stink, is able to communicate in one of my langages and a random genetic thing’, you aren’t exactly makin’ 'em feel special, are you? Or that you are much of a prize?

He is a beautiful, unique shining soul and you have never met anyone as interesting or hot as he. Got that?[/quote]

'doesn’t stink, is able to communicate in one of my langages and a random genetic thing’
this is so rare! When I find a guy like this he truly is special I can tell you. Do you know how few taiwanese guys that are fluent in english? I mean FLUENT man, fluent! I want to be able to talk, talk, talk and he have to be able to keep up with me, understand?

Doesn’t stink, this is rare too I can tell ya. Ever noticed how many taiwanese people that never ever brush their teeth? For me it’s normal to brush twice a day, floss and rinse with flouride (just as an example) sometimes it feels like I’m the only one in Taiwan that actually does that.

[quote=“El Toro”][quote=“Nevernude”]That’s odd, I would think they’d be all over you if your profile pic is any indication of your real looks.
[/quote]

Too true! If that’s you in your profile pic, you’re gorgeous! There again, I’ve been conned before online by a girl who said she looked like Sade (That gorgeous singer with Nigerian/English ancestry) but who turned out to look like a troll. So I can’t imagine you being ignored if you look as cute as your avatar pic is.[/quote]

Haha I am certainly NOT getting ignored. I can hardly go shopping on my own without being harrassed on the streets. Guys are running after me, into girly clothing stores just to have my number or take a picture of me. I always have to go out with my brother or male friend if I don’t want 10guys following me around.

Now you probably wonder: why on earth don’t you date these guys?
answer: Does not follow the requirements “clean, fluent, tall”

[quote=“tina109”] Are you a ph.d? ph.d-student? thinking of becoming a ph.d? really really smart (theoretical physicist smart)

Are you taller than 175cm?

Do you have dimples?
[/quote]

[quote=“tina109”]
My only requirements are;
1) Good hygiene
2) taller than me (I’m 166 but over 175 is a minimum)
3) fluent in english (german and swedish would be acceptable too :neutral: )

Is this too much to ask? [/quote]

From “Theoretical physicist smart” to “Good hygiene” and “dimples” to “fluent in English”

Does this mean your’e getting :hungry:?

:laughing:

That was kind of my point. The OP is all about the OP.

[quote]‘doesn’t stink, is able to communicate in one of my langages and a random genetic thing’
this is so rare! When I find a guy like this he truly is special I can tell you. Do you know how few taiwanese guys that are fluent in english? I mean FLUENT man, fluent! I want to be able to talk, talk, talk and he have to be able to keep up with me, understand?

Doesn’t stink, this is rare too I can tell ya. Ever noticed how many taiwanese people that never ever brush their teeth? For me it’s normal to brush twice a day, floss and rinse with flouride (just as an example) sometimes it feels like I’m the only one in Taiwan that actually does that.[/quote]

So if you don’t fancy 'em, why bother? No-one likes a tourist.