Hospital charges foreigners 30% more than Taiwan citizens

They said “blood test report”, which I read as the results of a blood test, i.e., the sheet of paper you can get from the medical records office stating what the test found.

I don’t think there should be any extra hassle for foreigners - the office is just printing off the result/report already on their system and charging a nominal fee. I remember that NTUH used to charge 20 TWD per page for this (with a minimum charge of 200 TWD for x pages or something, for certain categories of record), but I haven’t been there for a while. The medical records I’ve got (from NTUH and other hospitals) have always been mostly in English, although I’m not sure whether that’s the default or they do it specifically because I’m a foreigner.

Thread title should be edited IMO until there is confirmation, how do you know it’s not a fixed additional fee?
If next time you pay 1300 instead of 1000 then sure it’s a 30% additional fee but for now I really doubt this is the case, most probably a fixed extra amount. Wrong by the principle but we can live with it.

1 Like

Yes a REPORT (check the 1st sentence “for a regular blood test report.”)
Nothing exceptional as every day there are thousands of people doing this at NTUH. More info from NTUH. This was not a law change but an ‘order’ from last year by https://www.mohw.gov.tw. (which falls under the NHI) to the hospitals. P.S: correct: 2 pages * 20 = NT$40 + 30% = NT$52. There is no minimum charge of NT$200 for such printout and there is only one version which is bi-lingual. Called NTUH and they are still checking this. Per their information the surcharge was introduced on April 1st. (not a joke). There is only a total and no breakdown on the receipt as such no “additional charges”. Where once it once said NT$40 it is now NT$52. At NTUH complaints desk they immediately assigned a person because they were familiar with this. Another person (apparently familiar with this who had heard all this before) at that desk was also nodding the head in agreement that this was unfair. As said, the only explanation that was made that this was a requirement for foreigners. but keep repeating myself. Anyhow, nuff said. , See for yourself. Take care !

2 Likes

The visit fees are getting ridiculous. Some hospitals are up around $500 to $600 now for registration. The part on my receipt that NHI pays is sometimes much smaller than my copay. So in response I tend to go to local hospitals where the copay is lower.

But going to a clinic is no better since while registering is cheaper, they give me 3 days of medicine and you need to come back and pay again anyway. Plus I find the clinics to be pretty hit and miss in terms of quality

3 Likes

Weird… I still only pay about $450nt for a monthly visit with the maximum dose of Ritalin allowed.

Don’t even need to see the doctor. The nurse just gives me the medicine/payment receipt.

1 Like

Is it actually a 30% up charge or a 12nt standard added fee? Both are unfair, but at least one you can overlook considering the total cost is so cheap in Taiwan.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this test cost 2000 US dollars in the USA without health insurance
My friend was in icu no test just two aspirin and a doc to see about his hip
Quick look by doc
Bill 17000 US dollars to be charged to his insurance company
That hospital was out of network

But I agree charges should be the same for foreign or local as long as they are both covered by National insurance

The link just gets me to the main page, not to the order itself. Do you have the link?

1 Like

Few years back there was a viral epidemic and one could get a vaccine at Taiwan hospitals. As soon as I walked in to hospital, they said “no vaccine for you foreigners! Chinese only!” I calmly asked them if Chinese people are safer if I have the vaccine or safer without. 2 doctors and 3 nurses huddled in a corner. It looked like a scene out of a comedy. Then, “OK, you can get vaccine”

2 Likes

Not the order from NHI, but a permission from Taipei City Government.

北市衛醫字第1083125664號 in Chinese
https://www.ntuh.gov.tw/ckfinder_file/ntuh/files/北市衛醫字第1083125664號(國際醫療).pdf

NTUH now has 外籍人士自費醫療項目.

Self-pay item is 1.3 times NTUH standard fee for foreigners.

If the blood test is for certification and not covered by NHI, this seems to be applied. Or, even if the visit is for something covered by NHI, this rule might be applied to the self pay part (document fee).

5 Likes

Thank you very much. So it is a special permission sought by this hospital only? And even more expensive for items covered by insurance, if I’m reading correctly? How can this be allowed?

Indeed with this cursory letter they allow the hospital to charge foreigners 1.3 the rate for any non insurance item. Which is actually a big increase and really sneaky. If they want to change the charges arbitrarily like that they should do it publicly and transparently and explain the reason for discriminating against foreign residents.

5 Likes

We should send a lot of complaints, imo.

They might have intended to target visitors with no NHI, but forgot about foreign residents as usual.

3 Likes

I’m guessing it was something like that, but it’s unacceptable.

4 Likes

Yeah I just don’t understand. You walk in and give them tour insurance card, do they even ask for an ID? I can’t remember. How can a person on the same insurance plan be charged more?

3 Likes

It’s blatant discrimination , if they did it to Taiwanese of any description they would have a meltdown in the media !
I also feel it’s unethical. I am up to protest it as you don’t want this slippery slope to go any further.

5 Likes

can you use this notice from city government?

1 Like

All foreigners? Or is is different for those on family ARC/APRC with Chinese spouses like the stimulus money?

Someone just pointed out to me that “非本國籍自費病友” ought to mean foreigners without NHI insurance. If so, it makes sense.

if you have a NHI card, and your visit is covered by NHI, the rule is not applied.