Hostel reviews

Hi
Im coming to Taiwan shortly and I was wondering if any of you have stayed either at the “amigo hostel” or at the “world scholar hostel”.
Are there any recommended hostels/serviced apartments for a stay of about 2 weeks (until I find my own place)?
thanks

World scholar hostel sounds like one of the government run places. Maybe will have curfews and such. Many of these are called “guest houses”
Amigo is popular for travelers and also Happy Family and Formosa Hostels.
It’s been some years but Formosa-1 was always a nice hostel and right next to an MRT stop.

Here’s a list with numbers:

info4tw.com/pages/lodging.php

1. On the negative side, they are smelly, overcrowded, dirty, hot (no airconditioning), and you’re stuck sleeping side by side with dodgy foreigners who’ll steal your backpack if you let your one awake eye droop off to sleep

2. On the positive side, there are lots of slutty Australian, Canadian, etc. chicks passing by through the night that you can easily hook up with. The last time I tried snoozed at a hostel, let me tell ya, I didn’t do much snoozing!

Most have aircon at night anyway. At least they did 10 years ago.

If you hunt around you can also find hotels for 1,000 N.T. per night.

[quote=“izzy”]Hi
Im coming to Taiwan shortly and I was wondering if any of you have stayed either at the “amigo hostel” or at the “world scholar hostel”.
Are there any recommended hostels/serviced apartments for a stay of about 2 weeks (until I find my own place)?
thanks[/quote]

Mandarin hostel is the best if you are willing to stay for a month or more. You get your own lightly furnished room in a 3-4 bedroom apartment. Shared kitchen, computers and bathrooms (though I think one room in each place is en suite). 10-12,000 a month I think. Owners are a couple foreign guys.

Hongda, I think the World Scholar Hostel is just another privately run place, despite the high falutin name.

Also check out Fortuna Hostel. Its near the Songshan Railway Station.

[quote=“wix”]Hongda, I think the World Scholar Hostel is just another privately run place, despite the high falutin name.
.[/quote]

It could be. I just know there something with a name like that run by the government.

That Mandarin Hostel sounds pretty good for an extra cost of 4-5 thousand more than a hostel but much cheaper than a cheap hotel.

I think if Izzy is coming and will also be looking for work it’s better to stay in a dorm type hostel with more people to get leads on work much faster. Alot of those places have bulletin boards with jobs offered on them

Check out thise threads:

[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … =taiwanmex](Coming to Taiwan with a couple of questions (intro)
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … mex#411661

If you do a search using “hostels” you’ll come up with more. But any information more than a year old is unlikely to be helpful as the owners/managers of the hostel and its facilities may have changed significantly in the interim. Also, bear in mind that the time of year you go will influence what type of people you are likely to meet at the hostel.