Hot Chocolate Wars

Well, we have survived nearly another year despite restrictions, health scares, and a global pandemic that shows no sign of abating. No doubt the superb Latvian ice creams discussed at length in the Rare Ice Cream Finds thread helped some of us to get through the blazing heat of summer. Now that the temperatures in northern Taiwan are dropping, what will sustain us in the winter?

I am here to tell you that one answer may be “hot chocolate.” Yes, that delicious guilty pleasure that warms our bodies and soothes our souls. And in December 2021, I am pleased to say that some very interesting options are out there in selected convenience stores, at least in the capital. If these drinks are available nation-wide, I’d love to hear about it below.

First, at Family Mart: a new collaborative line with the celebrated local chocolate maker Yu Chocolatier. A sandwich-like concoction with chocolate spread is available for NT$39, as is soft serve ice cream. The star of the show, however, is the hot chocolate. It’s not powered, and it takes the staff a decent amount of time to prepare, as they need to stir and stir and stir to make sure the chocolate dissolves. It’s a complex drink, quite unlike other mass market products out there. I would not serve this to children, but if you have an adult palate and enjoy a wide range of tastes (including some spicy chocolate notes), this drink is well worth trying. Cost: NT$120 (some discount now, the regular cost is, I think, NT$149).

Meanwhile, over at 7-11: a more conventional yet also satisfying road is followed, via a collaboration with Godiva. To my taste, this is a much more straightforward tasting hot chocolate, made from powder, and creamier than the Yu Chocolatier version noted above. It’s still very good, and I think likely to satisfy a wider range of people who appreciate familiar-tasting drinks. As a power-based drink, it comes in a bit cheaper—as you would expect—at NT$99.

We cannot stop the pandemic, but for now at least we can choose our hot chocolate. Enjoy!

Guy

6 Likes

I like that US brand they have at Carrefour.

Swiss Miss.

With little colourful marshmallows.

Godiva has a little extra kick! :grimacing:

Mine is the kicker.

Do they have a “regular” r less sweet version? We bought a pack a few weeks back but christ its as sweet as coke…

1 Like

For a good cup of chocolate goodness you don’t use powdered.

3 Likes

Ya, you’re right. Luckily now taiwan has enough production of cacao i guess we have no excuses anymore. Just cost.

Good catch! The problem product is their ice cream made in France. No idea what went wrong there in the manufacturing process . . . :neutral_face:

Guy

They are Turkish owned now.

I was not speaking about who owns Godiva. I was referring to the place of manufacture of the problem ice-cream noted in the Focus Taiwan article linked above by @SuperS54 .

Guy

Costco has a holiday 4 tin set of Swiss miss in 4 flavors: milk chocolate, marshmallow, caramel, and peppermint

2 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

If this is a hot chocolate war, I’m glad I’m not in the trenches with you guys. :rofl:

Guy

to each their own
enjoy what you enjoy and try not to rain on others

Merry Christmas

Happy holidays to you too! :grin:

Guy

Again, the real question is: do you use or milk as base?

And a cry for help: how does one make a nice cup of chocolate at the office? All we got is the microwave.

Swiss miss reminds me of my student days and not in a good way. I swore I would never do another 3 in 1 as long as I could afford it.

1 Like

Milk all the way, and the rest is secret.

2 Likes

And here in Taiwan, the quality of the milk used will also matter (not all brands are equal).

Guy

milk

add a pinch of cinnamon

boiling water to dissolve the cocoa powder and sugar, then add the milk. prevents lumps of cocoa powder and helps get good color of the drink.

2 Likes

Buy a bar of 90% cacao and melt it. Add milk. Whammy.

2 Likes