Hot, damn hot

Worth monitoring the mercury today. Yesterday at 1.50 Taipei saw its highest ever temperature of 39.3 Celcius. Its over 37 right now and may go higher. :popcorn:

(also it was 36 at 5 pm which I’ve also never seen before)

It’s days like yesterday where I wasn’t too bothered working long hours. A/C, fast internet. Beats walking home that’s for sure…

Well I work from home in a rooftop studio so I’ve had to move my desk halfway across the room so I can feel the aircon. I may move it even closer today. Playing havoc with the feng shui.

Over here in Taipei’s Songshan District it’s a little chilly today. I was wondering if someone had a jacket they could lend me.

I’d check those mosquito nets of yours. Malaria can be life threatening, you know?

All I can think of is “soon I’ll be freezing my Latino butt in the Great White North. No matter what, I’ll test the waters of the bay…” Friggin heat… got no appetite.

I’d check those mosquito nets of yours. Malaria can be life threatening, you know?

All I can think of is “soon I’ll be freezing my Latino butt in the Great White North. No matter what, I’ll test the waters of the bay…” Friggin heat… got no appetite.[/quote]

You seem to have a fascination with Kaneshiro Takeshi lately. Maybe he can cool you down :discodance:

Here, let me share the pretty:

Got 3 fans and still it is 28 degrees here at my desk… We need a shower in the premises… all I can think of is that awesome, cool pool in Wulai… whatever the company, just cool water!

Well I work from home in a rooftop studio so I’ve had to move my desk halfway across the room so I can feel the aircon. I may move it even closer today. Playing havoc with the feng shui.[/quote]

I was walking through some of our factories earlier today and that had ice packs strapped behind the rotary fans. I’d call that some Kiwi ingenuity. But because it’s Taiwan then …Taiwanese ingenuity. :bravo:

Well if you get minimal work done today bad feng shui is always a good excuse… :whistle:

Found this on the internets:

Spot-on.

[quote=“Icon”]Here, let me share the pretty:

Got 3 fans and still it is 28 degrees here at my desk… We need a shower in the premises… all I can think of is that awesome, cool pool in Wulai… whatever the company, just cool water![/quote]
Guy’s a dead ringer for my ex. And the silly blokes on this forum think we whities don’t like Asian guys :laughing:

Anyways, yeah, it’s hot. I’ve stubbornly refused to install A/C for 4 years because my landlord refuses to pay for a third of it, but I’m starting to waver.

You lucky you.

AC is not a luxury. AC is a human right. If not for the temperature alone, then the humidity, but I’ve noticed it is not as humid lately. My skin feels like parchment, my hair like straw. I already tried all the tricks in my book -like olive oil and mayonnaise hair masks- to no avail.

I am worried about my pets.

Read that its broken the 117 year record?

It’s the hottest temperature ever recorded in Taipei, and near the hottest ever recorded in Taiwan (that award goes to Taitung). The 117 yeas is just because that’s how long they’ve been keeping record.

[quote=“Icon”]My skin feels like parchment, my hair like straw. I already tried all the tricks in my book -like olive oil and mayonnaise hair masks- to no avail.
[/quote]
Coconut oil? Love that stuff.

[quote=“Icon”]
I am worried about my pets.[/quote]
Me too- my poor cat was imported by some imbecile (not me, I got her from the shelter) and her hair is so thick and fluffy. Seriously considering shaving her (but will do some research to make sure that’s safe first.)

[quote=“NonTocareLeTete”][quote=“Icon”]Here, let me share the pretty:

Got 3 fans and still it is 28 degrees here at my desk… We need a shower in the premises… all I can think of is that awesome, cool pool in Wulai… whatever the company, just cool water![/quote]
Guy’s a dead ringer for my ex. And the silly blokes on this forum think we whities don’t like Asian guys :laughing:

Anyways, yeah, it’s hot. I’ve stubbornly refused to install A/C for 4 years because my landlord refuses to pay for a third of it, but I’m starting to waver.[/quote]

I had never been attracted to Asian men before, but then again, I had never been to Korea. Them Korean boys…hen shuai! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I agree with Icon! A/C is a human right when it gets this hot. I remember working for a design company in Melbourne, and when it hit 42 degrees the beautiful old brick building that housed our studio became a furnace of everything that is awful in this world.

Man, I think I’ve been living in Taiwan too long. I didn’t even notice it was that hot until I saw it on the cover of one of those free newspapers today. I have noticed its a bit hotter than normal lately when I walk to the MRT but I thought it was just August.

I even went for a 7km run on Wednesday night.

Course soon as I posted that the temperature done dropped to 36.

Still an’ all I’m thinking of getting t-shirts made “I survived the summer of '13”

Looking forward to touch rugby tomorrow at 11.30. :cactus:

I don’t use aircon. I always love summer. In some of the places I lived in back in Australia this kind of heat is just normal - most hate it but I feel more alive when it is hot, if that makes sense.

Yesterday I went for a ride to Wulai and, yeah, the blue water looked cool and tempting. I hadn’t planned on a swim though and wasn’t too keen on carrying my bike down to the river in cycling shoes, or leaving it somewhere secured only with my flimsy little cable lock, so i just stopped for a drink and a few pics before heading home. Staying hydrated is a bit of a challenge in this weather.

I didn’t see any Korean boys, but next time I’ll keep an eye out. (Actually there were very few tourists at all and no line up for the bus :thumbsup: ).

Beer consumption must be going through the roof.
Mine is, at any rate, but I suppose there are quite a few more reasons for that, than simply this insufferable heat.

And to think I could be up in Gaoyuan, where we didn’t need an AC.
:fume:

I completely agree! The brilliant sunshine and (relatively) dry air that we’ve experienced in Taipei lately has softened the blow. I’ll take this hot dry weather–record breaking or not–any day over Taipei’s alternating coldish or hottish dampness.

Re: pets though–the heat should be a concern. I hope everyone is doing OK!

Guy