Hot pot appliance for home

I don’t know if it can be classified as a hot pot, but I simply boil everything in a pot on the stove, then move it to a table when everything is cooked.

2 Likes

That’s just a soup! Or stew, depending on what you’ve put in it. Once a potato goes in it’s stew.

2 Likes

but not much different from what I eat at hot pot places, by my standard. I might do it wrongly in those places, though.

Hmmm…I think the difference between soup and hot pot is for the latter you’re cooking and eating simultaneously. If you just throw everything into the hot pot immediately, cook it all, and then turn it off and eat from it, then I suppose it’s no different from making a soup.

2 Likes

1 Like

Almost always a gas burner here in Japan. with earthenware pot, occasionally see a cast iron pot though.

2 Likes

We did the gas burner deal for a while, it probably isn’t bad if your rig is made in Nippon.
The construction on the (locally made) ones we had was pretty dodgy, though, especially considering the blowupability factor.

3 Likes

gas burners are used as a tradition I guess…

But I just prefer induction. It’s much safer, very easy to clean up, and they make earthenware pots that work with induction (like the ones 石二鍋 uses)

A gas doohickey would make me uneasy. I’d rather just keep it electric.

1 Like

And not a particularly good soup, either. No sautéed vegetables? No stock?

I sometimes add a potato to soups to thicken them.

1 Like

I boil food with soup, as they do at hot pot places.

The only appliances needed are a heat source. Gas stove or electric hotplate both work well. A pot to your liking and some utensils for grabbing food.

The real issue with hotpot is the stock and the sauce. Recipes are super important. I dont eat out at hotpot anymore as even the better all natural ones almost always source from chinese medicine suppliers which tend to have MASSIVE contamination issues (spray, bugs and poo usually) so prefer to make my own now.

We use a stove (any brand, fire is fire) Nd a suitable pot size (glass, ceramic or stainless) for the quantity of people eating.

Quite a lot of -good- sichuan and northern chinese style hotpot places here have potato on the menu. Actually i find taro makes the soup more starchy and thick than potato does.

Well, except for the EMF radiation… :astonished:

Well…aren’t you just udderly pessimistic… :smile:

I would avoid this too

1 Like

Are you sure those are SFW???

You got a kink we don’t know about? You like being panked or something?

1 Like

I ain’t sayin I is and I ain’t sayin I ain’t.

But around my place, we do call it “Spanko” :howyoudoin: