Hot pot discrimination in Taipei

Already sent to MP!

6 Likes

Not funny guys.

My pal just literally got kicked out of a class at a certain university that for now shall remain nameless…because she coughed.

“She is a foreigner. Foreigners hang out with other foreigners. She is dangerous!”

:rant: :sob:

12 Likes

I’ve been teaching myself how to shake sneezes.

The anti foreigner postings have been ramping up on the Professional Technology Temple lately. The media is aching for some anti foreigner CV-19 news stories.

4 Likes

Get a written statement. I’ll pass it to the MP.

2 Likes

Should westerns really be eating hot pot anyway?

The only whites I know that actually enjoy it – and don’t just do it on Tinder date number 2 – have gone full local: they ride a scooter, live in Zhonghe, Bali, or somewhere else deep in Taipei County, only vacation during ROC holidays, and only take busses instead of the HSR or Uni Air.

6 Likes

Why shouldn’t they? Does eating hot pot kill or otherwise harm them?

Seems the restaurant might be doing the foreigners a favor so that the foreigners can avoid Taiwanese that might be carriers. As almost all cases of Coronavirus in Taiwan is from Taiwanese returning to Taiwan.

5 Likes

Why can’t we have the name of it?

1 Like

Man, I know three Keoni’s now…didn’t think it was THAT common of a name.

3 Likes

Because it’s BULLshit?

1 Like

Tell us more.

2 Likes

You know

1 Like

I fear that, just as TickTok videos, propaganda from China finds fertile ground in local fears plus prejudice.

As the CW editorial states, Taiwanese are already twisted against SEA folk. It does not take a big leap as they hear their people get sick abroad and there are sick foreigners coming in too or getting sick here to start fearing us furriners.

1 Like

Nonsense.

No restaurant in the US would dare post a sign like that.

For the record, I’ve seen similar signs elsewhere this week. I’ve also heard second hand of more.

As for assaults on foreigners in Taiwan. Given the tiny size of the ‘foreign’ community, plus the low rates of ‘random’ violence, these actually happen reasonably often.

Every single physical altercation I’ve been involved in while living in Taiwan and China has been accompanied by racial abuse. It’s the standard move as things turn physical - generally long before. Taiwan is very good compared to China, but it’s much the same deal everywhere you go in the world.

2 Likes

This is ******.

My mother-in-law sent me that video of the white guys licking the MRT handles, or wiping his boogers… and said there are rumours of this stuff happening here, with increasing anti-foreigner sentiment.

LUCKILY, I’ve had the opposite experience lately (yay for not being stereotyped the same as white /guys/ ? Sorry fellas…). People have been unusually friendly, and I have in turn been unusually forward in offering up exactly how long I’ve lived here, speaking Mandarin, etc, etc.

Good luck out there!!

3 Likes

someone sent me that video too.

What were their thoughts on it?

It appears to be this place on Civic Blvd. in Taipei

http://www.shabu.com.tw/h/Index?key=9562013185

https://www.facebook.com/Healthpot/posts/2741681089250876

2 Likes

health pot

LOL