Hot sauce, do I need to stock up?

Which one? Near wenzao on Minzur road in koahsiung?

Yes ! 大樂購物中心‧食品/量販百貨 (dols.com.tw)

They have many Western Food items, and brands besides local. The downside its big store so hard to do fast shopping.

Great, which sauce are you excited about?

The one on the link. I would not say it has good taste but is hot (you mentioned wanting a “hot” sauce. Its too hot for me but maybe ok for you

1 Like

Cheers. But no, i cant eat super hot stuff. I find they are used to hide the quality of sub par foods haha. But i respect those that like them. For me, i want excellent flavor paired with heat levels that dont over power the natural ingredients of the meal while using less toxic chemicals (eg. The only preservatives being salt and/or vinegar). Super toxic or ultra spicy sauces causing hot flashes and runny emergency shats arent my idea of a good condiment.

So do you try this one: Zanthoxylum armatum - Wikipedia

Seems grows as local bush.

1 Like

At a Mexican restaurant today. Hot sauces from Belize. The first was the hottest (the owner told me). Second tasted better though. Didn’t try the others.

4 Likes

Marie Sharps is my fave. The plain one is the best though (not pictured). No preservatives. Vinegar not the main ingredient.

3 Likes

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Hot bush indeed

2 Likes

I am willing to try anything from that genus of plants as they are a TRUE treasure trove of amazing if used well. Sounds interesing. Any taiwan brands using that species?

Anyone tried that imported nopale hot sauce that has made the rounds in foodie groups this year? It keeps poppin up but i never did try it.

1 Like

This has been my go to lately

Not sure what “balado” means, but there’s no shrimp paste in it. Good flavor

2 Likes

I was getting a load of ads for those on Instagram a month or so ago (I guess because I’d been searching for/buying other hot sauces). Didn’t try them yet, but they seem readily available on Shopee.

1 Like

I do not know of any braNDS in Taiwan or fresh ones. I do see sometimes the green Japanese one though.

1 Like

Any links/brands for some good ones? Those plants are trruly delicious, i am a huge fan when blended well. Watch the Han Taiwanese culturally appropriate, via tiawanese aboriginal culture, the japanese prickly ash into this one haha :joy:

1 Like

I will look next time I go the market, never really checked for it.

1 Like

Sambal kepiting in that brand is good too. A touch sweet, I wish they would not add sugar though.

1 Like

Havent tried it, just thought it was funny.

1 Like

One should never be without.

is that from Indonesia?

It’s made here, available in those Indonesian shops you see around, like Toko Indo.

2 Likes