šŸØ šŸ’µ Hotels | Tipping in America and elsewhere

In hotels? this tipping thing is out of control. I only thought it was restaurants.

3 Likes

Meh. Itā€™s a couple of bucks. Iā€™m more put off by restaurants seating large parties and then tacking on 10% service charges on parties over five or something. If its that much of a hassle, donā€™t seat them together.

As @Joebie says, I might normally put up a DND sign, but yeah I would leave a couple of bucks when I can remember.

Yeah, itā€™s one of those things Iā€™m very unclear about - Iā€™m not sure whatā€™s ā€œexpectedā€ in other countries. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever left a tip in a hotel, but due to COVID itā€™s been a few years anyway, and itā€™s been MANY years since I was in an American hotel.

my bonus is tied to my performance, if i beat the targets set for me and my team, i get a bonus. If I just do my job i just get my salary.
Cleaning the room is the job, bringing the food to the table is the job, unless they went above and beyond there is no need for tip.
in the usa i just out the "do not disturb " sign, they dont have to clean my room daily, and i dont have to tip them daily.

3 Likes

Itā€™s not mandatory like tipping at restaurants, but itā€™s expected and appreciated.

appreciated makes senseā€¦ expectedā€¦ doesnt make sense to meā€¦

1 Like

Does anyone know if hotel staff face a similar situation to restaurant staff in America, where the minimum wages are shockingly low precisely because tips are expected? (Or at least I think Iā€™ve got that right.)

And yeah, @Marco, Iā€™m sure youā€™ve noticed - and been annoyed by - how tip jars / payment options have now appeared in all kinds of new places in Canada. (The liquor store adjacent to a pub, for example.)

Expected just means most people do it.

You donā€™t have to if you donā€™t want to, and nobody will really think much of it.

1 Like

Except restaurants it seemsā€¦ you have to tip a minimum of 15% now, it used to be lower, and 15% is for bad service.

Itā€™s out of control, no one should be paid based on charity for doing non charity work.

Itā€™s been this way for at least 10-15 years now.

No tip for intentional rudeness (very rare), 15% for poor service, 20% for normal/good service, and 25%+ for outstanding service (rare).

1 Like

Just imagine if pay for ALL work is tip based.

See how long it will be before everything just about falls apart,

That would suck. Iā€™d definitely have to be more selective about the clients I take on.

It would fall apart and devolve into open rebellions against the gentry class.

Tip based culture is extremely pro employer, it absolves them of the responsibility to pay their workers at all!

No it doesnā€™t. It just cuts out the middle person. You pay the server directly instead of the restaurant owner, so the menu prices can be kept low.

Of course, Iā€™m only talking about restaurant tipping in the US here. People who work in other industries (housekeeping/Uber drivers) make normal wages so tipping isnā€™t really mandatory. I donā€™t usually tip them.

Wait, what? Tipping in the restaurant is mandatory in the US?

Thatā€™s insane!

2 Likes

Pay comes from the employer, not from a client.

@Marco have you never spent much time in the USA?

No? Iā€™m not American. Never lived there.

1 Like

If it is expected then it it not a tip. Thatā€™s extortion.

1 Like