šŸØ šŸ’µ Hotels | Tipping in America and elsewhere

So, thats their culture, for better or worse if you agree or dont, it is what it is

Yeah. But I have never heard of it being Mandatory.

Am I getting charged with an offence if I donā€™t leave a tip?

Tipping culture also puts a huge amount of pressure on patrons, who might just decide to never eat at restaurants, or eat only at Chinese restaurants (who donā€™t normally expect tips, as they are shared among the entire workforce). It would actually hurt the industry as a whole.

Like I said Iā€™m perfectly fine if they raise the price of the food by however much percent they need to pay their workers fairly. Itā€™s all about not having to deal with hidden charge. When you have the same amount of hidden charge that they tolerate in the US itā€™s actually called bait and switch.

Itā€™s not mandatory. Nobody will twist your arm if you donā€™t pay up.

Itā€™s not like tipping at a restaurant.

I said itā€™s mandatory, didnā€™t say it was legally required.

There is a tipping mandate in the US?

Most sit-down restaurants in the US have tipping mandates, yes. The ones that donā€™t will have a sign that says ā€œtips not requiredā€ or something, but itā€™s rare.

If you donā€™t tip once then they will probably let it fly, but donā€™t go to the same restaurant twice without tipping.

What are the consequences if I refuse?

Granted, if the service is shit, I dont wanna go back anyways. If the service is shit, I aint givin a tip.

Iā€™ve refused once. The result was the manager came to my table and asked me why I did not tip, and I explained why. (I had a legitimate reason so he just shut up and left.)

One other time I simply forgot, and the waiter asked me if I had forgotten. I apologized and left a larger tip.

The third time I miscalculated and only tipped like 10% (it was closer to 9%), and the waitress called the manager to my table. She informed me I tipped less than 10% and asked if there was anything wrong with the service and I apologized for miscalculating the tip.

Unfortunately, it is your responsibility, especially in some states that allow a lower min wage for certain jobs, and itā€™s built into the ā€œfairā€ price youā€™re paying (in some states, min wage for some ā€˜tippedā€™ jobs is $2-$3/hr). Itā€™s part of the drill, so get with the program.

some places itā€™s built into the legal, lower, min wage structure. itā€™s almost always built into the offered wages.

Tip at Chinese restaurants. And yes, donā€™t eat at restaurants of you donā€™t want to tip.

Back to hotelsā€¦ I be tip at the end - more often than not, they donā€™t take money you leave during a stay unless you leave a note, and I aint bothering with that.

I wouldā€™ve flipped shit. Thatā€™s extortion. I agree with @Satellite_TV

1 Like

Many tourists feel the same way, but most people already know this before visiting the US.

We tip in Canada, but Iā€™d never had a manager come out and fucking intimidate customers that way if I didnā€™t tip. Itā€™s rare that I get shit service, but I am not gonna reward shit service.

2 Likes

Yeah Canadians are much nicer, and Iā€™m sure it doesnā€™t happen everywhere in the US. Thereā€™s probably been other times I forgot to tip and never knew about it because they didnā€™t confront me.

I donā€™t know how wages work for waiters in Canada, but in the US, workers who are classified as tipped employees make less than the minimum wage. If the minimum wage is $10 for example, then tipped employees get paid like $2.

this varies by state.

itā€™s certainly not the norm in the US

1 Like

Really nonsense this tipping, will never understand and whomever tried to justify it really tries to twist things.

Just the ppl fairly or put a fixed charge upfront, like we do in Italy. Iā€™m fine to pay a charge which is explicit and reported rather than a guess which is ā€œappreciatedā€ or expected. Silly

3 Likes

A 15-20% tip at a restaurant is the norm across the whole country which everyone knows about, so restaurants donā€™t really need to state it explicitly.

Some restaurants that serve a lot of international tourists will state it on their menu. Other restaurants will just include the tip as part of their menu price, and they will have a sign that says tipping is not required.

1 Like

Piling on here that tipping is ridiculous. Iā€™m glad itā€™s not a thing in many Asian countries and I hope it stays that way.

4 Likes

Insaneā€¦ only at michelin star level restaurants I would be comfortable to pay more than 10% service fee (which is already a lot).

Back home the amount itā€™s fixed per person, between 1 to 5ā‚¬ per person depending on the establishment (then u have the grifters charging more in very touristy places, but never a good idea going there in the first place).

Basically you are paying a 1/5 more than what ā€œadvertisedā€ on the menu, I would sue for false advertisementā€¦

Also the prices at shops not including the tax is another thing very silly to me. Seems like in the US u need to be a CPA to paying for ur food or toilet paper

1 Like