How bad can it be if the number of countries that ROC/Taiwan has official diplomatic relations with is exactly ZERO?

I strongly suspect that wasn’t the reason. :2cents:

I think if zero nations recognize the Rep of China there is no change really.

Taiwan is its own reality

There will changes like no need for ROC people to be stationed abroad except that there still may be ala the AIT concept.

So the net change may be eight ounces instead of half a pound.

I mean how many “real” nations recognize the Rep of China anyway

I think zero would be a good thing. It could be a tourist attraction. Come and visit the shithole that no one recognizes and that still claims to rule Mongolia. Be amazed by the stubbornness of a people that refuse to give up their claim to China. Visit huge memorials to losers that killed thousands of locals and yet still get their own, um, huge memorials. Witness protests by old soldiers that should be in prison but instead think their ill-gotten pensions should receive 18% interest accruals. Praise the president that sits in her gilded tower day after day whilst big business rapes the environment.

:grandpa: Have I missed anything? :grandpa:

2 Likes

A Disneyland of fairy tales then

If the issue was that we wouldn’t waste money on corrupt regimes, then be my guest.Problem is once Taiwan becomes irrelevant…it will be swallowed whole by China, either gently or harshly, depending on its needs. There will be a bloodbath here…and no one will care. We will become another Syria not another Irak. At least they got two invasions.

I was reading about the detail of the Chinese claiming ports as payment when nations cannot pay up their loans. I find it very distressful that a nation with such a huge log on their shoulder is getting so much power. Yes, their military is disorganized and their tech messy, but they have a lot of hoopla and cash can buy many things, from top grade weaponry and accompanying mercernaries to many conciences.

For developing countries, it is jumping from the pan into hell.

I have read many statements similar to the bear’s and the problem I see is that it refers to teh nationalists, who lost China due to incompetence and corruption, and have been slowly pushed out of Taiwan for teh same reasons. They only hold on to power because of mafia connections, China cash and lots of rotten earnings. Moreover, even that power is limited, and they are not the majority anyways. I would like to make teh world understand that no, the whole Taiwan should not be blamed for a war they did not fight in nor a choice made by a dictator 50 years ago. Alas, we do not stand a chance.

The Tourism Bureau should totally hire you. I mean, what have they got to lose?

Who should have been hounded out of the halls of power. And all the statues should have been blown up. And every reference to China should have been erased. And every street sign referring to Sanmin Zhuyi should have been torn down. Instead the children of those kunts are sneaking back into power. People still vote for them because some deluded people here still respect the KMT like a beaten dog respects its master.

In terms of the remaining ROC allies, its hard to say how valuable they are in the international community as a voice for Taiwan. Maybe they have value maybe they don’t.

Well, blowing them up would be like Latinm Americans blowing up the remains of Spanish culture, including teh language. Problem is we have teh same social structures, based on land ownership by caudillos, skin color and pedigree as related to some distant conquistador. That’s how you end up in Zimbawe. At least Taiwan has a bit more remnants of its past, but how much it is respected, like remaining Latin American indigeous populations, is still debatable.

We are al colonies, meztizos and mulatos. Someone thought they had teh power to come and destroy and take and rule. And that is a genetic trauma passed on by fear and death.

Different situation. This is live, real-time, consecutive generations. The children of Hau Pei-tsun, Lien Chan, et al. Still benefiting from the persecution of Taiwanese by the KMT.

I know dear. I get the hibbie jibbies when I see teh ads on teh buses with “lean together”. Lean if I recall means inward, separate from teh rest.

But in Latin America, 500 plus years later, still the descendants of teh conquistadores are the ones ruling the nations.

Haiti?

Everywhere.

Jesus, Haiti will be next to flip to Peking.

As per KMT expert, haiti and Nicaragua. It has more to do with internal turmoil. As usual, it is out of Taiwan’s hands.

That is a bit dramatic and without precedent. China has never done that before, so why now? Don’t see it happening unless its world war three.

If Xi feels his power threatened by inner forces, Taiwan will be the proverbial chicken killed to scare bigger monkeys, like Uyghur, Tibet and Hong Kong.

Have they tried making overtures to Sealand or Western Sahara? :ponder:

The landmass of Taiwan is always relevant to Japan and the United States, just like it is relevant to China. Power can be projected from this landmass to gain an advantage over US and Japan, and vice versa. As long as China harbours animosity and nefarious intentions towards Japan and US, then Taiwan will also remain relevant to China. And since it is relevant to China, then by definition it is also relevant to US and Japan. The island is the geographic intersection from which power can be projected to interrupt sea lanes and airspace.

The problem with a Chinese invasion is that Chinese soldiers who find themselves on Taiwan cannot defend themselves from any bombardment coming from US-Japan side (i.e, from the East). Taiwan’s problem with Chines invasions is, so what if China fails a couple of times? If no international recognition especially by US and Japan will follow a Chinese failure, then China can keep on invading again and again.

It wasn’t that long ago the Chinese sent tens of thousands of infantry to die in the Korean peninsula twice, all in the name of denying Korea’s independence from China. Remember the Sino-Japanese War was fought over Korea’s Independence from China, resulting in China recognizing Korea’s full independence in Article 1 of the Shimonoseki Peace Treaty. (Mind you that it was a Peace Treaty, which resulted in real peace and real friendship between China and Japan for decades following that. That 1st Sino-Japan War was a war declared and caused by China, not Japan. And China got bored by it quickly, never having any interest of fighting to the end. ) Now all Chinese have come to accept Korea as an independent state. But prior to China recognizing Korea’s sovereignty, China held Korea’s sovereignty for 250 years.

Ever since the United States came up with “strategic ambiguity” or a hint to China that Taiwan is free for China to grab (say 1943 Cairo), China started to claim Taiwan as an inalienable part. What a coincidence. But if you examine China’s actions when push comes to shove, the real inalienable part where China sends their own children to die is Korea. China claims Taiwan because US gave off the impression that it’s free.

Hmm, yea… so in addition to a world war three scenario there is also the China falling apart scenario.

The biggest of those monkeys is Taiwan