How dangerous is Omicron?

for infection - hard to know - maybe. For hospitalization and deaths - if you compare 75+ with omicron vs -0-20 pre omicron - not even then. Basically all hospitalizations below 45 years were outliers - and that was before Omicron. And below 60 very very little danger if not obese or with co-morbidites.

1 Like

NYTimes article.

Compared with Delta, Omicron infections were half as likely to send people to the hospital. Out of more than 52,000 Omicron patients identified from electronic medical records of Kaiser Permanente of Southern California, a large health system, the researchers found that not a single patient went on a ventilator during that time.

ā€œItā€™s truly a viral factor that accounts for reduced severity,ā€ said Dr. Lewnard, an epidemiologist at the University of California, Berkeley who was an author of the study, which was posted online on Tuesday and has not yet been published in a scientific journal.

Despite the less severe virulence of Omicron, U.S. hospitals are buckling under an influx of coronavirus cases. Dr. Lewnard said that this was the result of the variant spreading like wildfire. On average, more than 730,000 people are testing positive every day in the United States, almost three times the previous peak last winter.

ā€œSince itā€™s more transmissible, there will just at some point be a lot of hospitalizations that inevitably occur,ā€ Dr. Lewnard said.

1 Like

Go stand in the corner, someone will be with you in a moment.

Has NYC seen a peak already?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-10/new-york-sees-signs-of-omicron-peak-as-icus-remain-pressured

London seems to have been following the exact number as Gauteng - why should the rest of the world not be similar (depending on public health actually better as London and Gauteng are no high-flyers at all in this regard):

1 Like

Neil Ferguson will be made a lord in a few years time.

2 Likes

Yeah, me neither, despite being in locations where (supposedly) COVID was running wild for most of the past two years. Plus I havenā€™t had a single ā€œjabā€, so in theory I should have died at least twice already.

ā€œAnd yet, once again, it turns out that the obvious was true after all.ā€

And bloody Neil Ferguson was wrong, again. Itā€™s a mystery to me how that guy isnā€™t stacking shelves in Tesco.

1 Like

if youā€™re vaccinated itā€™s not bad. even if youā€™re unhealthy.

source: i got it and it was a like a moderate cold for a few days.

also itā€™s true what they say about how contagious it is. incredibly so.

source: all 9 of the friends i was visiting in the states also got it at the same time.

1 Like

My experience has been the opposite. I know families where one person has it, doesnā€™t isolate from the family and nobody else in the house gets it. Iā€™ve heard this with alpha, delta and now omicron.

1 Like

The other family members tested negative?

1 Like

That is what my family experienced too.

1 Like

nice. lucky you. i know weā€™re both going off anecdotes and i was being cheeky, but it is actually wicked contagious.

15m recorded cases of COVID to date, according to google. I would guess most people havenā€™t tested or reported their results, so perhaps 50-70% of the population have had some version of COVID by now.

My family all got the lurgy simultanously. Literally within 48 hours of each other. Even the one who was 300 miles away, which was weird.

1 Like

Yes I seem to be not able to get it either. In July my girlfriend had it, and I kept on sleeping with her, still never got it according to antibody test (one that doesnā€™t react on vaccination induced antibodies) neither had I any symptoms. Also havenā€™t been sick with flu or influenza for well over 2 yearsā€¦ itā€™s not in my family genes though, my sister got Delta unvaccinated and had fever for 2 days. Her children were just a bit tired for a day and her vaccinated husband was down with fever for a day. So she was happy not to be vaccinated also after catching itā€¦
Its somehow a bit of a lottery. The vaccination with AZ took me out for 1.5 days even with painkillers. But I donā€™t want to take a certificate and need it for travelling. I really hope I donā€™t have to booster up, because Iā€™m really not afraid of catching it.

3 Likes

Iā€™m sure you are better than that.
Iā€™m in London. Slap bang on the middle of it. Where are you?

Yes. In one family the husband had Omicron, and no symptoms, while his wife had all the symptoms and tested negative. Neither child contracted it either.

1 Like

Please explain. I agree the human reaction has somehow trumped the virus in negative effects and affects it seems.

back in taiwan now. but iā€™d prefer not to engage because you seem convinced you know better than the scientists and are seemingly blind to the explosion in cases happening right now. no hard feelings.

Fauci

ā€œOmicron, with its extraordinary, unprecedented degree of efficiency of transmissibility, will ultimately find just about everybody,ā€ Dr. Anthony Fauci told J. Stephen Morrison, senior vice president of the Center for Strategic and International Studies. ā€œThose who have been vaccinated ā€¦ and boosted would get exposed. Some, maybe a lot of them, will get infected but will very likely, with some exceptions, do reasonably well in the sense of not having hospitalization and death.ā€

In contrast, those who are not vaccinated are ā€œgoing to get the brunt of the severe aspect of this,ā€ he added.

Hopefully all this good news will convince the Taiwanese authorities to just let it go.