• found it by a search engine - Google
  • found it by a search engine - other than Google
  • a friend told me
  • a banner or link on another site
  • non online advertising
  • just typed in the url
  • other

0 voters

This will be interesting to see how you all came here.

I was kidnapped and brought here against my will.

What do you mean? I didn’t find it … I evolved with it … actually one morning segue was gone and forumosa was there and before that oriented was gone and segue was there.

[quote]Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:43 pm taiwan boy wrote:
segue.com.tw is up and running again although it is temporarily using the name forumosa.com. Contrary to what Aristotle says segue is not a commercial site and has no plans to become commercial. It was formerly oriented.org but oriented then split in two parts. One of which, oriented.com is a commercial site while segue is a non-commercial site.[/quote]

How in gods name can I take part in the poll?

… or should I vote … other?

Worked for a VC company back in 1999 (i think), when the original crew were looking for capital.

Been lurking in different guises ever since.

I joined oriented.org… someone sent me a link to it.

Ditto.

HG

I found Oriented renamed Segue renamed Forumosa based on an article in the Taipeitimes I think. It might have been about Hartzell and his coup with getting a local drivers license not linked to his ARC. Two other people joined on the same day, yet, strangely enough Hartzell was one of the members that found Oriented on that day. Hmm…maybe it was an article about Oriented in the Taipeitimes.

By the way, if people say they found it with Google, it wouldn’t perhaps be misinterpreted as (I searched for the word Forumosa on Google to find you)?

I Googled for something related to DeFrancis or the evolution of Chinese characters, and found the Learning Chinese forum here. :sunglasses:

well sure, but you;d have to know the word “Forumosa” first, in which case, how?

If you new the url contained “forumosa” and googled that word to get the url, I’d rank that right up there with typing in the url directly…but I’d doubt it would be one of those words people would think of without ever hearing of it before.

Perhaps the poll could be refined?
“I found it by Googling for the word Forumosa”
vs
“I found it by Googling for something other than the word Forumosa”
are both
“I found it by Googling”…

Confusing.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Perhaps the poll could be refined?
“I found it by Googling for the word Forumosa”
vs
“I found it by Googling for something other than the word Forumosa”
are both
“I found it by Googling”…

Confusing.[/quote]
sure. Perhaps some mod can fix it. I sure can’t.

but like I said. If you know the word “forumosa” then you’re hardly ‘finding out about the site via google’.
I mean, lets not be ANAL about it.

article in newspaper about Fred Frontier’s disappearance…googled Fred…one hit was forumosa.com…been wandering around and appearing on ignore lists ever since.

arrived via a reference on the other site.

I remember having a link to a webpage called oriented, and this somehow transformed into forumosa. Not sure about the details anymore.

Googled something about buying cars in Taiwan two years ago. Forumosa’s Vroom Vroom forum appeared at the top of the list. Started browsing the forums. Now I’m addicted.

Can’t remember, been here too long …

Anthony said to me: “Have you seen this expat bulletin board run by this weird ABC chick and her even weirder Pinoy friend? One day, you mark my words, ONE day, it’ll all be MINE! Ya hear me?
Mine!
Oooarrr har har har har!”

After 10 years of driving without a valid driver licence, I searched Google(? don’t remember) for driver licence, Taiwan.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Forumosa is not far up the google page.

3rd page in the searches I did and not very inspiring;

compared with

[quote]About Moving to Taiwan
Allo’ Expat Taiwan forums cover most aspects of the expatriate’s lifestyle in Taiwan. Through various sub-forums such as : General discussion about Taiwan …
www.escapeartist.com/taiwan/taiwan5.html - 25k - Cached - Similar pages[/quote]

I think it is a little bit broken in the sense of google knowing about it. I know meta tags are a dead issue but there must be something that can be done to excite it a little in googles eyes and at least get google to put some words with the few words you see above. Nobody would click through from [quote]Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English compared with [quote]About Moving to Taiwan
Allo’ Expat Taiwan forums cover most aspects of the expatriate’s lifestyle in Taiwan. Through various sub-forums such as : General discussion about Taiwan …
www.escapeartist.com/taiwan/taiwan5.html - 25k - Cached - Similar pages[/quote]

I remember being promised a free gift if I joined some expat site. Still waiting.