How do I become a Taiwanese citizen? Am I a dual national?

Ni hao, my mother is Taiwanese. She was born in 1948 and married an American (my father) in the U.S. military, and they came to the U.S. in 1969. I was born in the U.S. in 1969 and am now 40 years old. I am an American citizen by birth.

My mom became a U.S. citizen around 1975 or 1976 and was forced to renounce her Taiwanese citizenship.

Since my mother is Taiwanese, am I a Taiwanese citizen as well? I am trying very hard to learn both Mandarin and Taiwanese.
I want to visit Taiwan and stay for more than 30 days. I don’t want to have to apply for a visa.

Thanks!

No, because the law at the time was patrilineal–citizenship could be inherited only from the father (unless paternity was unknown, at least to the government).

thanks so much! that really sucks. it sounds like discrimination.

[quote=“mileena”]thanks so much! that really sucks. it sounds like discrimination.[/quote]You think? That’s nothing, just the tip of the iceberg baby!

Agreed. I have a good friend whose mother is Taiwanese but was too old to make teh cut back when they allowed them to become citizens. Hence, me, as a resident foreigner, have more rights than she does, i.e. work legally here, for example.

She got a 6 month visa last time, though, so at least you can get that. And ask about the Overseas Chinese ID, they seem to also have become a bit more flexible with the patrilineal exclusiviness.

Firstly your mother would not have been forced to give up ROC Nationality… crock of shite imho she probably just never renewed her ROC passport which is something else altogether. Taiwanese are allowed dual nationality.

At 40 years of age you would not qualitfy for ROC Nationality as you need to apply before you turn 20. Nothing to do with discrimination.

So you dont want to need to apply fora visa… well sorry all Taiwanese need to apply for a visa to the USA so why shouldnt u need one if you want to stay for more than 30 days in Taiwan? We know it sucks to be American at times.

That’s interesting.

I looked over a copy of the Immigration Law (at klg.gov.tw/police/ht11.htm) and found a reference to 6 month visit visas for visiting relatives (Article 8, Paragraph 3), but that seems to apply only to ROC Nationals. Hmm.

[quote=“Icon”]
And ask about the Overseas Chinese ID, they seem to also have become a bit more flexible with the patrilineal exclusiviness.[/quote]

By an overseas chinese ID, you mean something like ocac.gov.tw/english/faq/faq_pop.asp?no=9 ? Ironicly, I forsee no problems in obtaining a Overseas Compatriot Identity Certificate - patrilineality isn’t mention in the FAQ or in the copy of the law that they provide.

The US might have “encouraged” her to formally renounce. Especially if the father held a security clearance or was trying to apply for one at the time…

rereading your post. Apply for the tourist visa. Its a lot easier then even attempting to get citizenship for the reasons outlined. Me for example? Born in Taipei, lived there most of my life. US citizen due to US military dad. Cant get TW citizenship. Considered a “tourist” for all the years Iv lived in Taiwan. Hows that for human rights?

Can you imagine someone born in the USA and living there for decades who was still considered a “tourist”??

Yeah your current president lol

Yeah your current president lol[/quote]

:slight_smile: theres talk hes not born in USA either.

Yeah your current president lol[/quote]

:slight_smile: theres talk hes not born in USA either.[/quote]

Yeah, Hawaii is still part of Japan I heard.

[quote=“tommy525”]rereading your post. Apply for the tourist visa. Its a lot easier then even attempting to get citizenship for the reasons outlined. Me for example? Born in Taipei, lived there most of my life. US citizen due to US military dad. Cant get TW citizenship. Considered a “tourist” for all the years Iv lived in Taiwan. Hows that for human rights?

Can you imagine someone born in the USA and living there for decades who was still considered a “tourist”??[/quote]

Hey man… I know this thread is kind of dated but this comment really caught my attention. Wait a min… you’re born and raised in TW, acquired U.S. Citizenship via G.I. Dad, and yet not considered TW Citizen!!! How’d that work!!! You MUST have been considered Citizens of TAIPEI then (instead of TW)… in which what most Taipei people think of themselves anyway! LOL. This is goofy. What was the reason that you’re not a TW Citizen? You grew up there and you must have household registration… your mom is there… wait… maybe you speak only Mandarin and not Taiwanese (just kidding :laughing: ).

That’s the reason why even though I’m 2nd generation foreign born Taiwanese… my son & I still speaks fluent Taiwanese.

Share some details… it’ll be good for everyone to learn… this is sad and wrong. Yeah… sounds a lot like our President and I started to believe that Hawaii is part of Japan.

Mileena,

I don’t think it is about discrimination. Many countries operate that way. In most instances that I know of, if both parents are of the same Citizenships the kid will acquired citizenship regardless of where they’re born. I know in many Asian countries, women when married to foreign husband are considered leaving the country (at least considered to be that in the old days). I know most of these policies have been rectified to reflect current cultural and change in many Asian countries.

Your mom couldn’t have lost her TW Citizenship. There has to be details kept from you. I know my families and friends have not lost their TW Citizenship even though they have not renewed their TW passport for ages. I believe the “household registration” is the key to regaining normal status in TW. This system is very Japanese (TW being a JP colony) and I think S. Korean uses the same concept.

The fact that only one of your parents is from TW, your mom should have apply for you when you’re very young. Many countries require that anyway… when both parents are of different nationality – nothing to discriminate about.

We can’t always use the U.S. system as global standards. In fact, I think anchor baby in the U.S. should not be given U.S. citizenship if none of their parents are U.S. Citizens with permanent residency in the U.S. :no-no:

[quote=“Curious Biker”]Hey man… I know this thread is kind of dated but this comment really caught my attention. Wait a min… you’re born and raised in TW, acquired U.S. Citizenship via G.I. Dad, and yet not considered TW Citizen!!! How’d that work!!! You MUST have been considered Citizens of TAIPEI then (instead of TW)… in which what most Taipei people think of themselves anyway! LOL. This is goofy. What was the reason that you’re not a TW Citizen? You grew up there and you must have household registration… your mom is there… wait… maybe you speak only Mandarin and not Taiwanese (just kidding :laughing: ).

That’s the reason why even though I’m 2nd generation foreign born Taiwanese… my son & I still speaks fluent Taiwanese.

Share some details… it’ll be good for everyone to learn… this is sad and wrong. Yeah… sounds a lot like our President and I started to believe that Hawaii is part of Japan.[/quote]

Try reading though some of the previous posts and it’s all clear. My son was born and raised here ( stll lives here on his ARC ) and has an ROC mom but it not an ROC citizen either.

Tommy, like my son does not have a household registration here. I do though but then again I’m a white guy who wasnt even born in Taiwan…

[quote=“Satellite TV”][quote=“Curious Biker”]Hey man… I know this thread is kind of dated but this comment really caught my attention. Wait a min… you’re born and raised in TW, acquired U.S. Citizenship via G.I. Dad, and yet not considered TW Citizen!!! How’d that work!!! You MUST have been considered Citizens of TAIPEI then (instead of TW)… in which what most Taipei people think of themselves anyway! LOL. This is goofy. What was the reason that you’re not a TW Citizen? You grew up there and you must have household registration… your mom is there… wait… maybe you speak only Mandarin and not Taiwanese (just kidding :laughing: ).

Share some details… it’ll be good for everyone to learn… this is sad and wrong. Yeah… sounds a lot like our President and I started to believe that Hawaii is part of Japan.[/quote]

Try reading though some of the previous posts and it’s all clear. My son was born and raised here ( stll lives here on his ARC ) and has an ROC mom but it not an ROC citizen either.

Tommy, like my son does not have a household registration here. I do though but then again I’m a white guy who wasn’t even born in Taiwan…[/quote]

Satellite TV,

I’m surprise that your son Tommy born and raised in TW with TW mom, and yet has no household registration!!! Dude, your son is as much a Taiwanese as he is an Aussie (You’re Aussie right?). Why? This so weird! Was it because you’re white or because you’re not TW Citizen? But you do have household registration. Was it because Tommy’s mom (your wife) is no longer a TW citizen? That could be it the problem. I thought native born Taiwanese never loses their Citizenships no matter what… was I wrong on this? Much like native born U.S. Citizens.

I am of Taiwanese decent for couple of generations but I don’t think it mean quart to the current ROC government. If I’m planning to move back to Taiwan (which I will), my boy and I will have to ride on my wife’s status as TW citizen. Maybe I’ll have suffer the same fate as you…. So much for our very green blood.

Hang in there bro…. you and your son definitely make the clan as Taiwanese in my book! :bravo:

[quote=“Curious Biker”]Satellite TV, I’m surprise that your son Tommy born and raised in TW with TW mom, and yet has no household registration!!! Dude, your son is as much a Taiwanese as he is an Aussie (You’re Aussie right?). Why? This so weird! Was it because you’re white or because you’re not TW Citizen? But you do have household registration. Was it because Tommy’s mom (your wife) is no longer a TW citizen? That could be it the problem. I thought native born Taiwanese never loses their Citizenships no matter what… was I wrong on this? Much like native born U.S. Citizens.

I am of Taiwanese decent for couple of generations but I don’t think it mean quart to the current ROC government. If I’m planning to move back to Taiwan (which I will), my boy and I will have to ride on my wife’s status as TW citizen. Maybe I’ll have suffer the same fate as you…. So much for our very green blood.

Hang in there bro…. you and your son definitely make the clan as Taiwanese in my book! :bravo:[/quote]

I am not an Aussie but I was born there. Before 1986 anybody born in Australia was an Australian Citizen. But since that time only children born in Australia who has at least one parent who is a permanent resident gets citizenship if born in Oz. My son got his Aussie citzenship because at the time of his birth I was an Australian citizen. So he got that by descent.

It’s quite simple really. ROC Nationality before 2000 had to be based on the FATHER being an ROC Citizen. The law was changed in 2000 so that citizenship can now come from either parent. My son was born in 1991. But anyways when he turns 20 he can automatically get the permanent resident visa as he has one parent who sponsors his ARC being and ROC Citizen. Me :discodance:

Last time I bled my blood was red, just like all humans have, and most other animals as well. Some animals do have blue blood though.

[quote=“Satellite TV”] But anyways when he turns 20 he can automatically get the permanent resident visa as he has one parent who sponsors his ARC being and ROC Citizen. Me :discodance:

Last time I bled my blood was red, just like all humans have, and most other animals as well. Some animals do have blue blood though.[/quote]

Good to hear your boy is gonna be fine!

Please don’t take offend to my comment on blood color. You know what I mean. My kind has been roaming in foreign land for generations and we took quite a bit of heat as minority over the generations. Call them hooligans or ignorant b*@t#&d but the that’s reality. We’re loyal citizens, well educated, pay our taxes, contribute to society like we should, and teach our kids well. At the end of the day, reality still hits. At some point, enough is enough. It is never the same compared to motherland. We’re not from Taipei - not my ancestors and not my wife’s either. We run deep south in green territory. I hope to make it back someday. Life runs in full circle.

I envy your courage and loyalty. You won’t get that treatment from me like I did from here. Take care bro and best of luck with Tommy’s citizenship!

OMG SatTV we’ve found someone who doesn’t know you’re a TW citizen! Then again, being a green-blooded Vulcan, he might have an excuse…

OMG SatTV we’ve found someone who doesn’t know you’re a TW citizen! Then again, being a green-blooded Vulcan, he might have an excuse…[/quote]
He’s white. No WAY he can be a TW citizen. :unamused: