How do I become a Taiwanese citizen? Am I a dual national?

Overseas Passports do not have an ID number in them, without that no Taibaozheng from China laddy., Pay up as an American ( around US$400 nowadays I believe ) and geta 2 entry visa. Once you have resided here for a year as an overseas Chinese you can then apply for an ID card. I am not totally up on the rules as I did this a decade ago.

I went to Manila on my passport overseas Chinese passport, but when I tried to return to Taiwan the EVA Airlines staff refused to let me check in because when they look at my brand new passport with one exit stamp from Taiwan, and one entry stamp to Manila, they said I didn’t have a visa to for Taiwan, even though the name on the ticket was my Chinese name, and the fact the passport is written in English and Chinese. They sure were red faced when I asked them to look at the front cover of the passport. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:[/quote]

Check this out. With some help with the translating (gotta translate birth certificate, et. al), from the date of this post…

IVE HAD MY TAIWAN ROC PASSPORT FOR ABOUT A WEEK OR SO!!!

So, where does the ID number show on the Taiwan ROC passport if you have one?

One benefit of the Taiwan ROC passport is that before as a US citizen I could only stay for 30 days at a time. With the Taiwan ROC passport I can stay for 90 days at a time (not that getting off work for that long is going to be possible)

Thanks for the reply SAT

Satellite TV, like you mentioned below and based on what I read of the 2000 revision of the nationality law, any person born to a Taiwan national and who is still a minor could claim citizenship. They made this retroactive for 20 years, so at the time of the promulgation of the act in 2000, minors (born after Feb. 9, 1980) were eligible to claim citizenship through either his/her father or mother. Since your son was born in 1991, he would have been only 9 years old in 2000 and therefore still a minor, and thus could claim citizenship through his mother, who I believe you said is a Taiwan citizen. So I’m puzzled as to why you said he couldn’t?

[quote=“Satellite TV”][quote=“Curious Biker”]Satellite TV, I’m surprise that your son Tommy born and raised in TW with TW mom, and yet has no household registration!!! Dude, your son is as much a Taiwanese as he is an Aussie (You’re Aussie right?). Why? This so weird! Was it because you’re white or because you’re not TW Citizen? But you do have household registration. Was it because Tommy’s mom (your wife) is no longer a TW citizen? That could be it the problem. I thought native born Taiwanese never loses their Citizenships no matter what… was I wrong on this? Much like native born U.S. Citizens.

I am of Taiwanese decent for couple of generations but I don’t think it mean quart to the current ROC government. If I’m planning to move back to Taiwan (which I will), my boy and I will have to ride on my wife’s status as TW citizen. Maybe I’ll have suffer the same fate as you…. So much for our very green blood.

Hang in there bro…. you and your son definitely make the clan as Taiwanese in my book! :bravo:[/quote]

I am not an Aussie but I was born there. Before 1986 anybody born in Australia was an Australian Citizen. But since that time only children born in Australia who has at least one parent who is a permanent resident gets citizenship if born in Oz. My son got his Aussie citzenship because at the time of his birth I was an Australian citizen. So he got that by descent.

It’s quite simple really. ROC Nationality before 2000 had to be based on the FATHER being an ROC Citizen. The law was changed in 2000 so that citizenship can now come from either parent. My son was born in 1991. But anyways when he turns 20 he can automatically get the permanent resident visa as he has one parent who sponsors his ARC being and ROC Citizen. Me :discodance:

Last time I bled my blood was red, just like all humans have, and most other animals as well. Some animals do have blue blood though.[/quote]

As far as I know, allya is right. Those born to a Taiwanese national have up until their 20th birthday to claim citizenship.

I was born in Taipei in 1991 to a Taiwanese mother and German/English father. I was immediately awarded British citizenship but we didn’t return to the UK until 1993. In the last year or I’ve decided to eventually leave the UK and take up residency in Taiwan, but had a slight panic when I found out about the 20th birthday cut-off. Thankfully, my Ah Ma did some hunting around for me and apparently because I was born there, I’m entitled to citizenship at any point in my life.

I’m also intrigued as to why you struggled to claim citizenship for your son, Satellite TV!

[quote=“xheffalump”]As far as I know, allya is right. Those born to a Taiwanese national have up until their 20th birthday to claim citizenship.

I was born in Taipei in 1991 to a Taiwanese mother and German/English father. I was immediately awarded British citizenship but we didn’t return to the UK until 1993. In the last year or I’ve decided to eventually leave the UK and take up residency in Taiwan, but had a slight panic when I found out about the 20th birthday cut-off. Thankfully, my Ah Ma did some hunting around for me and apparently because I was born there, I’m entitled to citizenship at any point in my life.

I’m also intrigued as to why you struggled to claim citizenship for your son, Satellite TV![/quote]

You want to check out your claim of being entitled to citizenship and any point in your life. My son was born here and the MOI says he has to get it before he turns 20. Same rule would apply to you as well.

I never struggled to claim citizenship for my son, he has Australian Citizenship, he doesnt have ROC citizenship.

Really? My son managed here quite fine in the same situation. He does not hold ROC Nationality either.[/quote]

Tzen Fu Bu Ai Wo.

Still thinking about Taiwanese citizenship (mainly due to conscription), I’ll see how well things go for the Australian Defence Force (ADF).

Edit: Yeah I managed pretty well having an ARC, pretty much made no difference except I’m not scrabbling to dodge conscription unlike most of my friends.

Really? My son managed here quite fine in the same situation. He does not hold ROC Nationality either.[/quote]

Tzen Fu Bu Ai Wo.

Still thinking about Taiwanese citizenship (mainly due to conscription), I’ll see how well things go for the Australian Defence Force (ADF).

Edit: Yeah I managed pretty well having an ARC, pretty much made no difference except I’m not scrabbling to dodge conscription unlike most of my friends.[/quote]

PAogao didnt get a notice until 1 year after he became a citizen. They don’t draft you right away just because you have citizenship here.

[quote=“Satellite TV”]
You want to check out your claim of being entitled to citizenship and any point in your life. My son was born here and the MOI says he has to get it before he turns 20. Same rule would apply to you as well.

I never struggled to claim citizenship for my son, he has Australian Citizenship, he doesnt have ROC citizenship.[/quote]

Strange. The Taiwanese Embassy told me different, as did the Household Registry Office in my Ama’s district.

Hi Guys, I am a Taiwanese National, who was born and is still living abroad. I have an expired ROC passport with National Identity Number printed on it but I don’t have an actual card (maybe not issued? I know children has the number but waits around 15 or so to get issued one). I went back to Taiwan for a while when I was very young with my mom (ROC citizen with ID) and that is how I got this in the first place. Do you think TECO would reprint this identity card # on my new passport upon renewal without me showing the national ID? I am assuming that a national ID card number should not have an expiration, correct? Mine starts with A********, old hukou in Taipei if I am not mistaken.

I intend to visit my aunt in Kaoshiung together with my mom and use her house deed to get my hukou and hopefully get my ID. Also, if I get a new passport with the shenfenzhen number printed on it, would I still need the actual ID to be able to enter a country with a reciprocity agreement? I am guessing it is not required, but I want to throw this out to you guys.

Hopefully, I would not have a problem renewing my passport with the ID# printed on it which expired back in 1992. :s

In that case, if you are not over 35, you would probably be drafted into the military.Check it out.

Firstly your mother would not have been forced to give up ROC Nationality… crock of shite imho she probably just never renewed her ROC passport which is something else altogether. Taiwanese are allowed dual nationality.

At 40 years of age you would not qualitfy for ROC Nationality as you need to apply before you turn 20. Nothing to do with discrimination.
[/quote]

I know this thread is very old, but I wanted to make two points after re-reading it today.

First, Taiwan apparently does not allow dual nationality, at least according to these websites:

http://www.immihelp.com/citizenship/dual-citizenship-recognize-countries.html
http://www.multiplecitizenship.com/wscl/ws_TAIWAN.html

The urls above could be wrong, or maybe the law has changed retroactively since then?

Second, even if I applied for Taiwanese citizenship before age 20, I ostensibly would not have gotten it, as citizenship was patrilineal when I was born in 1969, as Screaming Jesus pointed out in post #2 on page 1 of this thread. Taiwanese citizenship based on your mother being Taiwanese only began February 9, 2000 and was made retroactive to 20 years (so only those born after February 9, 1980 would have been allowed to apply for citizenship based on their mothers’ Taiwanese citizenship).

[quote=“mileena”]
I know this thread is very old, but I wanted to make two points after re-reading it today.

First, Taiwan apparently does not allow dual nationality, at least according to these websites:

http://www.immihelp.com/citizenship/dual-citizenship-recognize-countries.html
http://www.multiplecitizenship.com/wscl/ws_TAIWAN.html

The urls above could be wrong, or maybe the law has changed retroactively since then?

Second, even if I applied for Taiwanese citizenship before age 20, I ostensibly would not have gotten it, as citizenship was patrilineal when I was born in 1969, as Screaming Jesus pointed out in post #2 on page 1 of this thread. Taiwanese citizenship based on your mother being Taiwanese only began February 9, 2000 and was made retroactive to 20 years (so only those born after February 9, 1980 would have been allowed to apply for citizenship based on their mothers’ Taiwanese citizenship).[/quote]

This thread does seem to have some out of date (and also information that was never ever correct). It IS possible for someone with Taiwanese blood to get a taiwanese household registration (ID number) before the AND after age of 20, the rules are just a little different. I suspect the confusion may be with regards to which order you get the citizenship, ie Taiwanese citizenship gaining US citizenship vs US citizenship and gaining Taiwanese citizenship.

Under the age of 20, you basically just rock up to the NIA, fill out the forms, and they give you your ID card.

Over the age of 20, you can enter taiwan on a special visa; the visa requires to you reside in taiwan for either 365 days straight, or about 165 days each year for two years. After this time period, you rock up to the NIA they give you your ID card.

I know this because we are doing it right now for my wife and son (at the same time). At the end of the time period there is no mention of needing to renounce any citizenship. My understanding is that the mindset is simple, if you have Taiwanese blood, you ARE Taiwanese.

In this case, do they get a TARC for the year (two years)?

I agree with that. A child should be granted the citizenship of it’s parents/parent. This being born in a country regardless of the citizenship of your parent/parents is silly (as in the US). It’s ridiculous that someone like Tommy525 with a Taiwanese mother can’t get Taiwanese citizenship. Or are you saying he actually could? If so, someone should let the poor bloke know!

Incidentally, I just realised I only have 310 days left to wait for my ID Card!! :discodance:

Sorry for digging up this old thread but I’ve been searching forumosa and others while talking to friends and family about this subject and can’t seem to find a really concrete answer or source to inquire this question.

I’m currently here in taiwan on a visitors visa (60 days), multiple entry. I want to become a taiwan citizen as I plan on moving here and spending much of my life here now.

Here are some facts:

1. currently 28 years old
  2. male
  3. born in the usa
  4. both parents living in the usa but still have taiwan roc passports and nationality

How do I start the application process and do I have to join the military?

[quote=“B2FiNiTY”]Sorry for digging up this old thread but I’ve been searching forumosa and others while talking to friends and family about this subject and can’t seem to find a really concrete answer or source to inquire this question.

I’m currently here in taiwan on a visitors visa (60 days), multiple entry. I want to become a taiwan citizen as I plan on moving here and spending much of my life here now.

Here are some facts:

1. currently 28 years old
  2. male
  3. born in the usa
  4. both parents living in the usa but still have taiwan roc passports and nationality

How do I start the application process and do I have to join the military?

I’m in the same boat as you currently. If all my trips to the NIA are correct…
You’d be considered a “Unregistered Citizen” 無戶籍國民。

You have to provide a fair amount of documentation,most notably an FBI background check, birth certificate, (both translated and certified by an overseas TECO office), and you also have to apply for a Taiwanese passport and then enter Taiwan using it. There are some other relatively minor things like a health check that can be done at designated hospitals here in Taiwan but if you’ve gotten that far the rest should be a breeze.

Once the application process goes through, they should give you a special ARC, after which you reside in Taiwan either for 1 year continuously without leaving the country, or 270 days within 2 years. After that you can then go and get your ID card, making you officially a Taiwanese citizen after which you will be drafted.

Do you mean the TARC, i.e. Taiwan Area Residence Card (台灣地區居留證)?

Do you mean the TARC, i.e. Taiwan Area Residence Card (台灣地區居留證)?[/quote]

Not entirely sure, actually. I was under the impression that this was a peculiar residence card that only people in this situation would be using - a temporary stopgap until you stay long enough to switch it with your ID card.

Do you mean the TARC, i.e. Taiwan Area Residence Card (台灣地區居留證)?[/quote]

Not entirely sure, actually. I was under the impression that this was a peculiar residence card that only people in this situation would be using - a temporary stopgap until you stay long enough to switch it with your ID card.[/quote]
It should be, as that is what it was intended for. But it’s also used for people who naturalize, which is stupid as then in addition to everything else and the time already spent we have to deal with an additional year.

But I’m willing to bet if one of you check your card it will in fact be the Taiwan Area Residence Card (台灣地區居留證). Would be interesting to know either way.

[quote=“Funnytoss”]

I’m in the same boat as you currently. If all my trips to the NIA are correct…
You’d be considered a “Unregistered Citizen” 無戶籍國民。

You have to provide a fair amount of documentation,most notably an FBI background check, birth certificate, (both translated and certified by an overseas TECO office), and you also have to apply for a Taiwanese passport and then enter Taiwan using it. There are some other relatively minor things like a health check that can be done at designated hospitals here in Taiwan but if you’ve gotten that far the rest should be a breeze.

Once the application process goes through, they should give you a special ARC, after which you reside in Taiwan either for 1 year continuously without leaving the country, or 270 days within 2 years. After that you can then go and get your ID card, making you officially a Taiwanese citizen after which you will be drafted.[/quote]

Exactly the process that I had been through except for some additional requirements due to issues on my birth certificate.

• Father holds a Taiwan ID;
  • Applied for an ROC passport at TECO office;
  • Got ROC passport;
  • Applied for resident permit [petition] TECO office;
  • While the application is in process, found out that I can enter Taiwan through entry/exit permit visa (valid for 6 months with max stay of 3 months);
  • Entered Taiwan on Entry/Exit Visa;
  • Had a health check and DNA test (as requested by the Taiwan Office due to issues on my birth certificate)
  • Submitted requested documents at NIA;
  • Requested to receive the Taiwan Area Resident Certificate here in Taiwan instead of sending it to the TECO office at home country;
  • Got the TARC after a week or two;
  • Applied for a health card, after 4 months of stay;
  • Received the health after a week or two;
  • Waiting for the 1 year stay requirement to be completed, apply for household registration(?not sure if I am already in my father’s household registration) and then get the ID.

On my Taiwan Area Resident Certificate it says that I am a National WithOut Household Registration (NWOHR)/Unregistered National or “無戶籍國民” (wu huji guomin) with code AF353 (acquired residency through direct/lineal relatives - which in my case is through my father).

And now, I need some help please. Anyone who have knowledge on these, please shed some light. :doh:

I am quite confused about my Nationality. Am I already a dual national? I understand that I am considered as an Overseas Chinese or 華僑 (huaqiao) though. I wanted to know this because I just gave birth and I am not sure if I should put Dual Nationality or just my first Nationality on my baby’s birth certificate. And then comes the issue about how my baby can legally stay in Taiwan. Should we apply for an ARC for my baby (since I am an unregistered national) or register at the Household Registration under my father’s household (if I am considered as a dual national or if it’s possible)?

Also, anyone know how my husband can get a CH name legally? We made a CH name for him but the clinic won’t put his CH name on the birth certificate since there is no supporting document for it. My CH name was made by my CH teacher back in my home country and I’ve been using that every time I need an EN document with my name translated into CH.

Any help would be much appreciated!

You are a dual national, but you don’t have Taiwanese citizenship. Nationality and citizenship are two different things. A citizen is a national, but a national isn’t necessarily a citizen (as in your case, until you get HHR and an ID Card).

Here’s another crazy one for all you smart people (since Taiwanese government websites are, shall we say, an experience to use, and I’m not sure if I should just approach the NIA as my Chinese is terrible in comparison to my English)…

I was born in Malaysia to a Taiwanese Mother and Malaysian father, and then when I was young moved to New Zealand where I’ve spent most of my life. A few years back, my mother passed away. I recently attained New Zealand citizenship (and in doing so gave up my Malaysian one), and entered Taiwan on a Working Holiday visa on my New Zealand passport. After reading this thread and a bunch of other things online, I gather that I’ve passed the age 20 and under window to claim Taiwanese Citizenship, and I asked the New Zealand TECO about this but she said to just enter Taiwan first and ask someone there.

So I have:

• Taiwanese ancestry (on my mother’s side, but she is deceased)
  • a New Zealand Passport
  • currently in Taiwan on a Working Holiday Visa.

Magical forum wizards, I ask of you:

1. Am I eligible for an ARC?
  2. Is attaining an ARC (instead of aiming for citizenship) as far as you can go up the ladder before being eligible for conscription? (I am assuming that if somehow I attain full Taiwan citizenship status, being within conscription age means I will get drafted)

Any help would be great! even if you can point me towards someone in NIA who speaks English / loves edge cases. :slight_smile: