How do I get accident insurance from MVO?

Hello Everyone and Good Day
When I first bought a motorcycle from my Taiwanese neighbor, we went to MVO to hopefully transfer the registered name of the motorcycle from his to mine unfortunately, we cant because I am holding an ARC only and the company doesnt want to sign the papers that they are letting me buy a motorcycle under my name. So, we just went to the insurance section and he help me out on getting me an accident insurance for 2 years that cost not more than 1300 NT.
Now, I have sold back the motorcycle to the owner and bought the one offered to me which is almost brand new. I ask the owner to help me process a new accident liability insurance under my name and the motorcycle license plate however, she said that it is impossible because it the motorcycle license must be under my name at the first place before I can get myself insured.
Now I’m confused. Because on my previous motorcycle, its License (Blue Card) was never under my name until I sold it back and yet he was able to register me for a insurance.
Can anybody enlightened me about this?
Also, If it is really possible to get an insurance, Can I do it by myself? Even without the presence of the owner registered on the blue card?

Thanks in advance!
Below is the document given to me after purchasing my insurance on my first motorcycle.
Sorry if its kinda palpitated. I have removed any personal info on the pic.
Thanks!

Generally speaking, you cannot insure something you don’t own. The owner needs to insure it under their name and list you as a driver. Unless Taiwan has what is known as driver insurance where you can drive any vehicle you don’t own.

However from what I have ascertained, Taiwanese insurance companies don’t really care who the driver is as long as the scooter is insured by the owner.

I’d call up one of the insurers like Fubon or Taian or something and get them to clarify it to ensure all the legalities.

Fubon 0800-009-888
Taian 0800-012-080

I mean what if the your father has a motorcycle and your son wants to drive it sometime. As a licensed driver, it is imperative that you have a liability insurance incase of accident, it could cover any health recovery expenses as what I remember from the license exam.

I have translated the paper and yea it is TIAN. Actually we get that inside of the MVO as well

I only know how it works in the west and I assume Taiwan might be similar. Over there there is two options, 1. Your father gets the insurance in his name and advises the insurance company that you are driving, or 2. There is a driver policy for people that don’t own a vehicle and want to be covered for driving others vehicles. I assume Taiwan is similar.

But you can’t just insure the scooter as your own since you don’t own it.

Ill wait to see if anyone else has some more relevant experience with this to tell you but in the meantime give them a call if you want

Alright man thank yoi for the info. I might as well ask the previous taiwanese owner how the heck he’s able to get me insured. Thanks man

1 Like

Yea or check back here in a few hours, someone might know more than me. Cheers.

Just don’t buy the insurance online… It only insures the driver and immediate family members…

1 Like

The company matches your ID number to the vehicle registration. (at least with the online insurance). It was annoying for me when changing my ID as my credit card had a different ID to my cars registration…

Edit. Actually that wasn’t the problem. The problem was that the premium jumped a few thousand NT when insuring under a different ID to the vehicle registration.

1 Like

Hello. I get to ask my Taiwanese neighbor. He said, we need to go together so the current owner of my motorcycle can get me
insured.

BTW, when you said call TAIAN or other insurance company, Do they speak english?
Do they have a hotline for english? I do not engage on phone calls that do not have
an english support. Makes me juiced out to use every once of chinese word I know. lmao

So I don’t understand… Why can’t it be owned under your name…?

What ARC are you holding? I have only heard of migrant workers having this problem…

I cant. Because I only hold a regular ARC. Not APRC. however, students are able to buy themselves and put it under their name even tho they are also holding regular ARC.
There is a way to put it under my name tho but it needs consent from the company that they are allowing me to purchase motorcycle under my name. However, this is futile HR already rejected my application.

I registered a scooter without an employers consent on a normal working ARC…

now im confused

Which city are you in? If in Taichung I can help. If in another city tag it so someone can offer to help.

Taoyuan man.
Generally, I just need to get myself insured. You’ll never know when accident strikes tho. Specially when driving.
Either way, appreciate you taking time to answer my query.

My focus would be on getting it registered under your name too!

go to this place here

They are a broker (not the official DMV) and will bend over backwards to get it registered in your name. Once done you can get it all under your name and be more independent. If they can’t do it then no one can…

2 Likes

Is this legit? If they can then I will definitely give it a shot! Thanks man! BTW, how did you know this? You are from Taichung right?

Yes but usually they have brokers outside the DMV to help deal with matters quickly so you don’t have to wait in line. You do need to pay a fee though. Bring your neighbor. Worse comes to worse… the insurance offices are next door… so you can still get insurance.

One of my dodgier friends was telling me how his gangster buddies used to use them to change the registration after stealing a car! Basically if someone stole your car and knew the right people they could change the ownership and you’d have no recourse! (Usually used for illegal loan shark repossessions… according to him) However, he said that the government clamped down and regulated to stop this… But they are still helpful for helping with forms and saving time in line… Make sure to bring your chop though as they need it to sign documents on your behalf.

I use them all the time when transferring things and helping friends abroad with transferring vehicle ownership.

Let me know if it works out!

1 Like

Alright. Noted. One more thing, with regards on my providing my ID and CHOP to these agencies, would this bring me no harm in the future? I’m worried they might use my chop for something else etc.

and what is the translation of the shop name? :3
just to know what kind of shop it is