How far have you gone to satisfy your nicotine habit?

How long have you quit for?

• One day or less
  • One to two weeks
  • One month or more

0 voters

Interesting topic came up over dinner tonight…How far have you gone to satisfy your nicotine habit. As I can recall, aside from digging in the occasional garbage can(at home), the worst was in the middle of a Chicago winter, i smoked my last cig early thinking I was going to go to bed soon after. Nope, it’s 12 am and feeling the itch, I was too lazy to put on the clothes to walk to the store 3 blocks away. So, I went outside to the back of the house, and dug thru the snow for a couple of decent butts :noway: :noway:
Sad but true…Anyone else ?

I once had only $10 on me and it was dinner or smokes. I chose smokes.

I once had to dig through my cig butts and roll my own out of oil blotting paper.

And on more than one occasion I went through the ashtray/trash can looking for old butts just to light up and take a puff.

One time I tried to quit smoking, so I crumpled up my pack of 10 or so cigarettes and ran the whole thing under water so I wouldn

I am glad to say I’m a smoker no more. Wasn’t easy but I’m so happy now I’m free. I bought herbal cigarette packs instead. Chaining marshmallow or catnip cigarettes, I lost myself one really bad habit.

your never a true addict unless youve sucked dicked for coke

Yeah, I made roll-ups from all the butts in my ashtray. I once walked about 15km to the nearest store just to buy bidis.
By far the worst was having to suffer the godawful smoking lounges at airports so often. :sick:
Very happy to say I’ve been off the coffin nails for just over 5 years now.

I quit a few years ago (one of my many times) when I was living in the U.S. Before going to bed, I broke all of my smokes and threw them in the garbage. The next morning I found myself using tape to put them back together. :doh: On a brighter side, I had a really bad chest cold a few weeks ago and I haven’t lit up for 9 days now. :smiley: However, a few of those days I have felt very :taz:. Oh well, wish me luck.

Out on the town one night, I told myself “no more smokes” and threw them in a public rubbish bin. A couple of hours later, I was fishing around inside for them (successfully).

In our old student flat, several of us used to go throw butts to get a rollie when we were too poor to buy. I remember one of our flatmates coming out of his room outraged one day “who stole all of my cigarette butts”?

Brian

Thank you, I gratefully accept your definition.

Best Bob Saget quote ever.

[quote]One time I tried to quit smoking, so I crumpled up my pack of 10 or so cigarettes and ran the whole thing under water so I wouldn

Did you buy herbal cigarettes here? If so, where, and how do they work in helping you kick the habit?

:beatnik: i’m a smoker too. LOVE to smoke when I drink and that’s when I smoke the most. Have on a few occasions only smoked on weekends and when i go home to my mom’s I never smoke. about every 2 months or so i slap on the patch and wear it all day, take it off after dinner, have one smoke and am therefore down to one cig a day for months. my habit varies for sure. habit nonetheless though.

:no-no: don’t bother replacing ciggies wither herbal ciggies. it’s not the nicotine that’s so bad for you, it’s the carbon monoxide which is produced whenever you light anything on fire. so ya, no more nicotine, but you’ll still be getting the major carcinogen.

excellent thread.

ok, I can understand fishing smokes out of garbage cans and toilets when you’re a poor student living in a nation where a pack costs several dollars/pounds, but here making English teacher wages and paying 50NT a pack and a 7-11 on every corner?
It reminds of something that Belinda Carslile wrote. Back when the Go-Go’s were wild grrrls on tour they would dare each other to do the grossest thing they could think of. it started off innocently enough by fucking the ugliest guys they could find, but they tired of that and found something much worse. According to Belinda, they would dare each other to lick the floors of public restrooms in gas stations.

seriously, getting smokes in taiwan is a walk away from the 7-11.

rolling butt tobacco???

damn…you guys homeless or sumthin???

The question was:

[quote=“jdsmith”]seriously, getting smokes in Taiwan is a walk away from the 7-11.
rolling butt tobacco???
damn…you guys homeless or sumthin???[/quote]

The answers were in the replies you failed to read:

So as you can see, jdsmith, we ain’t talkin about Taiwan here. :wink:

[quote=“jdsmith”]seriously, getting smokes in Taiwan is a walk away from the 7-11.

rolling butt tobacco???

damn…you guys homeless or sumthin???[/quote]

That’s the problem with quitting in Taiwan. Smokes are everywhere and they are dirt cheap. Some days, it feels like everyone here smokes.

P.S. Haven’t had a smoke for 11 days. Starting to feel a little better. :smiley:

I’ve quit a few times in the past decade, usually lasting months on end. I quit again recently and aim to stop for months and maybe longer.

Reasons for reuniting myself with smoking is usually a combination of the following:

1. A Tragedy
  2. Loneliness
  3. Seeing to Relieve Work-related Pressure
  4. Desire to Enhance Whatever It Is Alcoholic Beverages Seem to Do for Me
  5. Bravado (Cancer?! Pah!)

I quit for six years. Mostly because I was a starving grad student and couldn’t afford it. I started again just before I came to Taiwan.
The best tobacco cigarette I ever had was in 1976. I had quit for a week or so, but one day I got so stressed out I stopped my Vega by the side of the road and looked under the seats untill I found an unsmoked Pall Mall, the kind in the red pack with no filter. Smoking that thing was heaven.