How long until life returns to normal?

Yup, if only we had the EU.

then in that case the failing is the society, not government.

But then governments also educates people to have the sense, however in the US that kind of education is sorely lacking. No civic duties because itā€™s not instilled from childhood. For example in US schools no students clean or maintain classrooms, hallways, or bathrooms. Other than some student getting publicly shamed for making a mess thereā€™s no real incentives for kids to not make a mess. But in Taiwan students have to do all of those things, so woe to the kid who makes a mess and not clean them up.

Not saying its perfect but then Taiwan had a mess during SARS so they learned their lesson. Not sure how the US will respond this time.

2 Likes

Westerners just had no idea what to do, and waited for their governments who also had no idea. All of it was further confused by the WHO who mislead governments and than people who began to not trust the experts once they saw what the WHO was doing.

Believe or not, many people have a favorable opinion of China around the world. Forumosa is a place where most of us know better. A lot of people think China is their friend. I think people will now change their opinions.

Iā€™m worried about the US because Americans are not as rugged and independent as they were to get through the depression. People have grown too comfortable with the idea of government is suppose to help them and they are entitle to it. Look how many people want these handouts, republicans and democrats alike. I read that Americans were ashamed to get government assistant during the depression and people even paid it back after. These are not the same Americans as before.

2 Likes

Oh, I know theyā€™re not the same thing, but I see them as part of the same mindset. Got cash on hand? Do stock buy-backs. Got stuff sitting in inventory for any length in time? Trim that supply chain. For profits and efficiency and executive bonuses, all well and good, but in times of crisis, it looks increasingly fragile and lacking in resiliency.

I never had any relatives who lived through the great depression (I really have no idea how things were in Wuhan in the 1920s), but I always thought people were having a great time right before the great depression, and was not knowing how to react either. But then back then governments simply did not give out handouts and it was FDR who started the trend. You should know people blamed president Hoover back then as well, for not doing enough, and hence shantytowns were called ā€œHoovervillesā€

I wonder if the same will happen and there will be Trumpvilles all over America?

Someday in the not so distant future the Indochinese empire will be filed with chatrooms bemoaning how they wish theyā€™d stop importing third world Americans Brits and Aussies

Yes, thatā€™s what Iā€™m saying. Many Americans were ashamed of it, they just wanted to work.

There are already many such encampments all over the US.

1 Like

the problem is Americans are confused whatā€™s good government program and whatā€™s bad.

Taiwan does not have a lot of entitlement programs, but has NHI.

You would think the US could do the same thing, not have stuff like SNAP, section 8, and all that and just use that money to give medicare to allā€¦ but thatā€™s entitlement programsā€¦

But it really all boils down to the kind of culture thatā€™s being created. Because of generations of government entitlement programs, Americans are used to the government doing everything for them. That needs to change.

Sugar Teats? :thinking:

Absolutely. Theyā€™ve grown entitled. Itā€™s why first gen and 2nd gen immigrants dominate in the US.

ā€¦

Iā€™m pretty sure this already exists. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Last time I was in hcmc airport i was the only foreign male without a face tattoo.

Youā€™re prob right.

I donā€™t even know how China is doing it, they were able to set up temporary hospitals within such a short time, and their cases are dropping off (or so they say).

But overreliance on government would only end with one thing: The government becomes a dictatorship and totalitarian, and anyone who doesnā€™t get with the program are eliminated.

A real democracy requires constant checks on the government and that canā€™t last forever which is why some have said a democracy is a temporary government at best.

I donā€™t really know how to quote this. Donā€™t get me wrong, the American spirit is amazing.

But Americanā€™s are not as rugged as those 18 year old boys drafted to go over to Europe and even worse, the pacific to fight. I canā€™t imagine 18 year olds when I was 18 being able to do that. Half of them couldnā€™t even get through a Texas 2 a day football practice.

What are handouts? How many of those ā€œnot my presidentā€ people and fiscally responsible republicans will be having their hand out for Trump 1k check?

Yeah but being too mistrustful of govt leads to things like people partying on the beach when t they should be locked down.

Iā€™m as afraid of the present corporate run world that bought the govt more than governments

2 Likes

Sorry I meant what do you call handouts, because that term is controversial. Social security? Medicaid? Medicare? FEMA? Etc

They used shipping containers like Legos to build a facility.

1 Like

Wow!! Say what you want about china they pull off some interesting shit sometimes.