How much Chinese can you read?

I don’t think that’s a real surprise. Most of foreigner residents end up getting to basic level just by daily life anyway.

Now, @Icon is at intermediate level? That’s a surprise!

It kind of makes sense when you see her wack-ass pinyin.

1 Like

Should it be 简体们?

Sure, why not?

I answered “advanced” because I could read that Chinese, but in real life (not just restaurant stuff) I’d say it’s low intermediate. Depends on the subject. For example, I know a good amount of mahjong terminology because that’s what interests me, but those expressions aren’t particularly useful anywhere else.

1 Like

It does look really ugly. I dislike it a lot. There are a few words I choose to write in the simplified form because is so much easier.

1 Like

Well,

However, anyone that can read your avatar is on advanced level in my book :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I can read all the words in advance. But I don’t consider myself advance at all. Should I switch?

1 Like

The other day one of my adult students was writing Chinese translations for some of the English vocabulary words we had talked about. One was ‘clinical depression’ (抑鬱症), and I watched with sympathetic fascination as she struggled to remember how to write the second character. She finally gave up. Characters are beautiful and fascinating, but damn they’re inconvenient.

2 Likes

Trying to write 鬱 is enough to make you 鬱.

3 Likes

Up to you.
The words under advanced were not supposed to be a kind of a test of your proficiency, they were more like a tongue in cheek.
If you ask me, advanced level is anyone who can read a newspaper without a problem, but it’s quite subjective, anyway :2cents:

Your student probably sucked at Chinese in school because 鬱 isn’t that hard at all.

Oh, @Gain, you always have some sweet words to say! :star_struck:

1 Like

Which ones are hard?

1 Like

堅 and 硬.

1 Like

:ghost:

Better than 勃 and 起. :sunglasses:

1 Like

龜 is pretty hard. You can try.
爨 斲 釁 are pretty complicated too.

1 Like

Is this going to turn into a “who has the hardest character” contest?

I was just talking about water chestnuts the other day. That always comes up

I agree about idiosyncratic ones like 龜. 鬱 has some pretty odd components though.

1 Like