How much Chinese can you read?

Good guess.
You got +1 in language. You need +799 more to move up a level!

I thought maybe you were being nice to everybody! I’ve met a few with real advanced abilities so I always keep things humble when asked how I rank myself.

1 Like

Here we go again…

2 Likes

Very interesting, theres a decent level of Chinese on this forum. I’m really just intermediate but the advanced choice was not a challenge for me here.

I learned Chinese because I was sick to death of being illiterate and not being able to read shop signs, mail, that kind of stuff.

3 Likes

Have you checked this thread? :rofl:

1 Like

It wasn’t meant to be. :grin:

My reading is significantly better than my speaking or listening. Partly because I long long ago got bored of the basic conversations that I’m capable of - at least piecing together characters is somewhat interesting for me.

2 Likes

Interestingly, I have the opposite problem. :upside_down_face:

Reading is nothing to me now if it’s not too literary. I can read the news, people’s posts, easy novels…and I’ve actually built quite a bit of speed. But conjuring up what I want to say how exactly I want to say it is still somewhat difficult. I know the words, but don’t always have them.

My solution is…more reading.

1 Like

Although I don’t have the same level as you, I get what you mean.

I have a similar problem with handwriting, although it’s another can of worms…
I can type many more words than I can write. I always miss one or two strokes when writing more complex words. :runaway:

Oh god. It’s not even close. I’d guess I can type hundreds of characters, perhaps even over a thousand - but written by hand? A couple dozen?

1 Like

for complex characters, one or two stroke missing or added does not have much affect.

1 Like

God my writing is a mess. You really have to write almost every day or you forget how to write characters. That’s just the way it is, even for Taiwanese people.

2 Likes

My Chinese writing skills have seriously atrophied. Why bother maintaining them when it’s so easy to type? The only time I notice is when I have to fill out a form by hand. :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

I can read 90% of the words. But some names of dishes don’t give you any clue on what it is unless you know it. And you have to be aware of certain things like frog being called chicken.

I can read for daily stuff in Taiwan. But I can’t read simplified Chinese at all.

I can usually figure out what’s going on in simplified, but I have to rely on context clues, which slows me down considerably. It just looks so ugly and bare and odd. Like some kind of mock Japanese.

When I see Chinese tattoos using simplified characters I cringe super hard.

4 Likes

Yeah it’s a pain actually writing anything. I think it’s safe to say this computer age is a boon for the overall usability of Chinese, even though people who went through the entire education system can do a better job of remembering than I can by several orders of magnitude.

1 Like

Yeah, context is key. I can read simplified text without much trouble, but if I see an isolated character my brain kind of short-circuits (if it’s one of those massively simplified ones).

Only 3% of us are at zero? I fear we’re polling to the linguistically converted.

Is that the correct plural of 简体? :face_with_monocle: