How much would a metered taxi cost from Taipei to Taichung?

Let’s say from Taipei Main Station to Taichung HSR Station. Metered taxi. Assume not during rush hour.

Would it be less than 4000 NTD?

Uber says around 4500 NTD, but that’s not an option for me. Not sure how much more expensive a taxi would be.

I don’t see how anyone would know that for sure when everyone could take the train that only costs 675 and takes only about 45 minutes.

2 Likes

Maybe you could check the FindTaxi app or whatever it’s called (I might be thinking of the wrong name - I uninstalled it ages ago).

I guess that might be better for long-distance taxi trips.

1 Like

Yes, but this is a quarantine specific question.

2 Likes

Anywhere from 4159 to 5532 apparently, obviously depend on weather and time of day. Without more details it’s difficult to help ~ why is UBER not and option but a more expensive taxi is? For a journey of that length, assuming public transport is not possible, then hire a “limo” service or nego a fixed fare with a taxi driver.

1 Like

I’m guessing this is after your release from imprisonment. Aren’t you still able to use the (subsidized) quarantine taxis to get back to Taichung? (It seems a bit odd if trains aren’t permitted but regular taxis are.)

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking too - would probably be better to agree on a fixed price with a taxi driver/company, e.g., one dealing specifically with long-distance trips.

It’s actually the transfer from “hotel quarantine” to “home quarantine” as part of the 7+7+7 program. So Ubers and HSR are not an option.

I was given two options:

(1) Take a quarantine bus at 2PM from Taipei to Taichung (fixed time, unchangeable). Hotel wants to charge me an extra night since checkout is after 12PM - They really want to charge for 9 nights to stay ~172 hours. My hands are tied since I can’t take any other mode of transportation.

(2) Take a metered quarantine taxi from hotel to Taichung. It’s unclear whether this is available, but if there is availability before 12pm, could save me some hassle with the hotel.

Ideal solution would be to take the 2pm bus and pay for 8 nights only I guess. But not sure if that’s even possible. This whole thing is turning out to be a logistical nightmare.

3 Likes

Can you not check out before 12pm then take the quarantine bus at 2pm and wait in the lobby?

That sounds pretty damn sketchy (and almost deliberate…) given your lack of options. Maybe you could complain to the CDC or whoever about that in your daily messages?

2 Likes

“Wait in the lobby” is not allowed. Lmao.

7 Likes

You can hang out in the lobby if you are in quarantine?

Well, my dad did, wait at the lobby for me to pick him up. So I don’t think it’s an issue to spend a couple of hours at the lobby?

It seems obvious that the answer should be a definitive “no”, but the hotel shouldn’t really expect to operate with a normal checkout policy and use that to extort extra money from the people staying there. I’d definitely complain with the authorities.

1 Like

Your dad probably did at Day 15. But this is day 7 so quarantine isn’t over yet for me technically.

1 Like

When was that? Your dad probably didn’t have to do home quarantine immediately after at that point, i.e., he wasn’t still in quarantine?

Yea he did it at day 15

Are you coming into Taiwan from the airport?

Sorry if my post was confusing.

I’m already at the quarantine hotel. Currently on Day 6 and scheduled to complete my 168 hours tomorrow at 8:30AM local time.

The above questions were related to transferring from hotel quarantine to home quarantine, for which only quarantine metered taxis and designated quarantine buses are allowed.

I would probably take the quarantine bus.

AFAIK the taxi is a fixed cost as well but I don’t know Taipei to Taichung.

Why didn’t you choose a Taichung hotel/quarantine centre?

I would not consider taxi but the hotel is trying to extort an extra nights money from me because the bus has a fixed 2pm schedule and their checkout time is 12pm. I can’t really hang out anywhere for those 2 hours either.

Didn’t choose Taichung because couldn’t find a hotel there, and didn’t want to do random government quarantine for some personal reasons.