How strong are Taiwan's freedom of speech laws?

I am curious how strong Taiwan’s freedom of speech laws are. Back during KMT days I would often see people waving PRC flags near Taipei 101, promoting reunification, etc. but I haven’t seen that now for a long time (although I haven’t really been looking). I know that the blue side have been claiming that Taiwan’s freedom of speech has been declining, but how true is it? How strong are Taiwan’s freedom of speech laws? Can people openly call for the invasion of Taiwan without getting arrested for something like treason?

https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=A0030317

It does not forbid PRC flags or unification protests, but any actions that were ‘organized’ by hostile entities.
The law probably has some chilling effects.

5 Likes

In 2017, Taiwan scored a 91/100 in Freedom House’s freedom index.

Today it’s 94.

Many of those people are not allowed back in as they weren’t locals. It’s not just the Taiwanese government, but the Chinese government is not issuing cross strait permits as well.

You can certainly advocate for unification. Though I don’t know why anyone would advocate to have their freedoms taken away.

6 Likes

Why does unification need to entail Beijing running Taiwan? Can’t it mean Taipei running China?

2 Likes

Defamation is not covered by „free speech“ in Taiwan. So it would be illegal to spread damaging lies about someone.

Of course it’s always a political strategy to blame the lack of „free speech“ for the diminishing support of one‘s ideas…

2 Likes

Maybe give us examples of what you plan to say or display

Uhhh we are talking impossibilities then.

2 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: Not about free speech laws

Taiwan’s Constitutional Court held a debate to consider amending the country’s defamation laws over concerns they infringe on freedom of speech.

9 Likes

Better than China, worse than the US…or, gray as fuck. Most taiwanese laws are intentionally vague and courts can figure out. It is frustrating as all fuck.

But protests can be allowed or dismantled on assembly laws, not freedom of speech. Defamation is more freedom of speech related here.

I guess probably many people really hold faith in our justice system. Right or wrong, but that seems (sadly) better than some of our neighbour’s, so people feel a bit entitled til they get whacked with a fine/meeting/whatever by the offended.

Summary in my opinion: not good. At all! Beats other countries with han Chinese majorities.

1 Like

Free speech as in f the government and f the police type free speech?

If you can risk legal action for saying certain cuss words no matter how justified it is, then no, free speech is dead thanks to the DPP (at least according to my mom, it was enacted fairly recently).

1 Like

You’re allowed to swear in Taiwan.

Fuckity fuck fuck fuck.

There is no risk of legal action for swearing. Say it loud, say it proud!

2 Likes

Even public insult has been illegal since forever. So not solely the DPPs fault, though they haven’t done anything to change it.

1 Like

EDIT: Too late to edit the original post, but I just realized that I wrote “cuss words” instead of “insults” in the original reply.

Look, I love freedom of speech and swearing as much as the next guy, but if Taiwan truly allowed for unlimited swearing and insults, this thread wouldn’t exist, or at least it’d end at “cops were called; they just said ‘Article 11, cope and seethe, you fucking gutless worm, thanks for wasting everybody’s time’ and left”.

Hell, I’m glad that when my bike got ran off the road by some guy doing almost double the speed limit and weaving through 萬大路/WanDa Road in a Maserati last week, I couldn’t be incriminated by “他媽的,你不會開車嗎?/ fuck, do you not know how to drive?”, but I’d probably have the same issues as OOP and probably have to bribe him and/or try to appease a judge if I just did my American response of yelling “fuck you!” at the top of my lungs, waving the finger at him, then “drop a gear and disappear”.

You said swearing.

That thread is about a public insult.

This is completely fine. There’s nothing wrong with that.

Someone cuts you off? Scream FUCK! all you want. Or any other swear word for that matter.

True, but what I’m saying is that “public insults” usually involve swearing; it takes away the catharsis and the true meaning of insulting someone if I have to make sure it’s Rated E for Everyone™ or face consequences, especially since if I’m in the aforementioned scenario, it’s kinda heat of the moment.

Again, your beliefs on the matter are wrong. I apologise for being blunt, but… a personal insult does not inherently contain swearing and swearing is not inherently an insult.

Swearing, by itself, even in the heat of the moment, is not an insult and not covered by the law.

Secondly, a personal insult is not always illegal. You are free to insult others. Privately.

1 Like

So that means it would’ve been inconsequential to yell “fuck you” or even flip off the little brat driving daddy’s car?

Are you in public?

Can anybody else witness this using their sense of sight and/or sound?