How taiwanese people regard/regarded themselves

Ok, I am new here, maybe this question has been arised many times. So I say sorry to bother in advance.

I am not sure, but sort of heared now the majority of tainwanese people regard themselves absolutely not Chinese.

But is this the same with taiwan was in the authortarian period?

Or some people(not all!) here just agree they have Chinese background, but they are taiwaneses which are not chinese by all means?

Sigh…why this question looks stupid…

So, how do expats think Taiwanese people regard themselves? Dunno.

You’d get more answers on Taiwanese websites, surely?

Ok, here is a expat site, right?

Ok,ok, my bad. let this thread die :smiley:

We called “Hongkong people,Cantonese…”
I never heard people asked them if they think they are Chinese?
I have Chinese background and I am Taiwanese.Thats how I told to my Foreign friends.
well,dunno how to reply this exactly.My bad English,sorry.

It’s a good question, but keep in mind the answers might not be representative of Taiwanese people in general. Most of us are foreigners, and even the foreigners who have Taiwanese spouses aren’t necessarily accurately representing their spouses’ views with all the nuance that this subject deserves. That being said, my wife considers herself to be Taiwanese in terms of nationality, and Chinese in terms of ethnicity. Her family is originally from Nanjing, and came over here in 1948.

[quote=“KeithZhao”]I am not sure, but sort of heared now the majority of tainwanese people regard themselves absolutely not Chinese.
[/quote]

Out of interest are you talking about race or nationality ? Is Chinese a race ? I would think everyone in Taiwan considers themselves Asian.

I think I am an Earthman!

Sorry, Keith, I did not mean to dismiss your question or imply that you weren’t welcome. Just that you might not get many useful answers.

Cool, no worries, guys, now basically I know how s going on.

Yeah, I am sort of narrow-minded, ask various questions all the time.

Still , thanks for replying.

Actually the response could be anticipated:)

My wife considers herself Taiwanese. She doesn’t consider her race to be of consequence in comparison. Her family came over from Fujian a few hundred years ago but she also has 1/8 Pingpu blood.

Suppose only KMT/PFP members/followers regard themself Chinese, perhaps some others that came from China during the 50-60’s

I hope the chinese censors won’t see this thread, they are gone ban Forumosa form chinese view …

[quote=“wisher”]We called “Hongkong people,Cantonese…”
I never heard people asked them if they think they are Chinese?
I have Chinese background and I am Taiwanese.Thats how I told to my Foreign friends.
well,dunno how to reply this exactly.My bad English,sorry.[/quote]

I don’t think HK people see themselfs as ‘Chinese’ …

Taiwanese,Chinese,HK people …all are human beings.
nationality only be needed in passport.
Thats what I think.

If only ROC won the mainland and was not USA ally, I think the question would have been put to rest long ago.

I think HK are hyper nationalistic to the terms of Chinese in comparison to mainland and Taiwan counterparts. Could be a result of the fact that the previous colonizers were not Chinese. Although there is an adversion to non-Cantonese or HK Cantonese speakers, there is no movement to declare themselves non-Chinese.

Could be the a factor that the Cantonese in the region in have immigrated to many different States and see no threat to their Tang culture.

On Taiwan there is almost no pride in being Chinese. It was a liability under Japanese rule. It is a liability under Green rule. Minnan speakers on Taiwan are hyper-patroitic to the point that if another Minnan speaker has dual citizenship, they are not considered Taiwanese.

Of course this issue is not easily resolved since the government under Green leadership has been pushing the Taiwanese-Chinese survey every year.

Spoilsport :raspberry:

I only take the piss out of native speakers. Excepting tash, of course, who deserves it as she is too clever for everybody else’s good.

Who knows in the next decades to come when Taiwan decided that it’s to the benefits that there may be some form of agreements to concur as a federation or conglomerate with Mainland China. By then, people in Taiwan will be Chinese in terms of nationality, and Taiwanese in terms of ethnicity.

All these surveys or polls conducted are just contemporary. Nothing is permanent.

What do you mean?

Edit Sorry, never mind, I figured it out.

I belong to one of the smaller minorities of Taiwanese. I’m an Atlantic islander, one of the ancient tribe of Adouzai (阿逗仔) people, who migrated here via Japan’s southern islands in the 1980s. I have no Chinese ancestry at all that I’m aware of.

We’ve integrated quite well into this society, though we’re still treated as outsiders by many who migrated here, or whose ancestors migrated here, earlier than we did.

I’ve married a native islander whose roots in Taiwan can be traced back several hundred years earlier than mine. Neither of us considers ourselves to be Zhongguoren or in any way part of the PRC and its occupied territories.

I hope that clarifies things for you nicely, Keith.

no worries, unless here allowes chinese-typing.

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]Suppose only KMT/PFP members/followers regard themself Chinese, perhaps some others that came from China during the 50-60’s

I hope the Chinese censors won’t see this thread, they are gone ban Forumosa form Chinese view …[/quote]