How tall is Forumosa? LOL

I’ve often wondered why Mao had such an obsession with growing rice. I realise the guy probably had an IQ in double digits, but what on earth did he intend to do with it? There’s a million and one things you could grow or raise across China’s multiple climates, but for some bizarre reason he reckoned the country should just grow nothing but rice.

Was it a deliberate, calculated move to kill off millions of people? Or did he genuinely think that his plan would work, and growing lots of rice would have some economic value?

There was nothing wrong with them growing rice until Mao first collectivized production, then introduced all kinds of insanely inappropriate agricultural practices like deep plowing etc, and finally required everyone to concentrate on producing metal in their backyards, leaving a record rice crop to rot and resulting in millions starving to death.
It was his fucking with a perfectly functional agrarian system that caused trouble.

1 Like

Resulting in the expression: 土法煉鋼.

1 Like

Indeed. I was pondering on the why. WTF was he thinking, apart from “I know everything”? China had no trade links with the rest of the world, so a (hypothetical) surplus of rice would have been useless.

My theory is that he knew it wouldn’t work and deliberately set out to kill half the population of China. Maybe I credit him with an excess of brains, though.

As far as can be ascertained, you’re right, he seems to have fallen hook, line, and sinker for his own deifying propaganda, sort of like the ultimate Taiwanese laoban, with a philosophy something like “Am I right? Of course I’m right, if I were wrong, I wouldn’t be The Boss!” accompanied by, again, like the ultimate laoban, a perfectly Stalinist instillation of mortal terror of contradiction among his subordinates. The final irony, of course, is that with the entire infrastructure shit-their-pants-scared of telling him the truth about how disastrous all his ideas were, all he ever heard were totally fabricated reports of how well everything was going, which made him all the more certain of his leadership genius.

2 Likes

You mean he did a Thanos?

Mao was a a bit batty and believed in ‘constant revolution’. If things got stale he would invent stuff to cause turmoil, possibly to keep himself in power at the top.

1 Like

In the same sense that the sea is a bit wet, I guess. :slight_smile:

I ponder on this sort of thing because we think that sort of thing could never happen to us clever, civilized people. But it seems to me that it happens all the time, on a less dramatic scale. Some retard somehow gets promoted to a position of importance and bends an entire country or society to his whim. Take the European Common Agricultural Policy: it’s nearly as illogical as Mao’s ideas about rice, but because there’s a plentiful supply of tax revenue to hide the fact that it doesn’t work, the EU hasn’t descended into famine and chaos.

If you think about it, guys like Hitler caused millions of death on purpose. Mao cause upwards for 100million not even on purpose; he was trying to help them and managed to kill them all because he was that incompetent.

well … I don’t think he was trying to help them exactly. He was just farting out random ideas in between banging underage girls. To a certain extent the Chinese were at fault for not putting a swift bullet in his head when they had the chance.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.