How to bribe in Taiwan

Have you ever bribed somebody?

• Yes, in Taiwan
  • Yes, overseas
  • Yes, both
  • No

0 voters

Dear mod: please delete this. The mean-spirited and completely baseless comments have ruined any value this thread may have potentially produced.

[color=#008000]Mod says: What a beautiful thread! [/color]

[quote]In fact, I think it would fit the definition of a victimless crime.[/quote]Someone you killed or maimed because you didn’t see them would be a victim, no? Same as drunk driving has no victim.
Personally, I would take great joy in reporting you for offering a bribe and would get a warm fuzzy feeling for keeping a dangerous person off the streets. But then again, I’m not a Taiwanese civil servant.

Best way is just pay someone to sit the test for you :astonished: from start to finish that’s what they do in China… plus anyway all us bignoses look the same :liar:

That would not be the result of my bribery or my eyesight. The bribe would just facilitate me driving legally and with proper registration and insurance which, in the event of an accident, would assist me and the other parties. I don’t see how trying to bribe in this situation could be construed as an ethical failure (I’m trying to, though!).

[quote=“shanro”]That would not be the result of my bribery or my eyesight. The bribe would just facilitate me driving legally and with proper registration and insurance which, in the event of an accident, would assist me and the other parties. I don’t see how trying to bribe in this situation could be construed as an ethical failure (I’m trying to, though!).[/quote]It would be a result of your bribery and your eyesight, just as it would be if you were drunk, you said yourself your eyesight isn’t good enough. When you’re in prison you’ll have lots of time to read Sam Harris books so you don’t feel so guilty about killing someone.

Just buy some fucking glasses, mate. A helluva lot cheaper than a bribe.

I have found a trick to the eye tests here, they are easy once you know the pattern. Every letter is “E”

How would a crash be the result of my bribery, as I have already driven in my home country (and will do so, legally, when I return) and am currently driving my car LEGALLY here in Taiwan with my IDL. I am currently driving a 125cc scooter illegally. I want a motorcycle license so I can do this legally, for which I would need to pass an eye exam. As already stated but, though not to legal level my sight is more than sufficient for safe driving. I have had 3 optometrists in my life (and met another on one occasion) and each of them said my eye sight poses no danger if I were to drive. One of them went so far as to encourage me to petition my state government to change the requirements. Obviously though, my government does understand that people like me are not a danger and thus I do have a real license, using which I have never had an accident. Sorry, but I have the superior position in this conversation and there is no space left for your argument.

Glasses cannot correct my eye problem.

Lol, the first time I did one of those eye exams (for my ARC) I was answering with E, 3, W and M.

:roflmao: I thought that was a bit odd myself. Yeah, but if you want to make it more convincing you have to nod your head while saying ‘E’ and do an indistinguishable twirly hand gesture.

Corrective surgery? Pretty cheap here.

Just take the test. If you fail it, then we can talk bribes. Until then…

I seen plenty o bribes going down.
Coach hits a car. Bribe.
Drunk smashes into you. Bribe.
Caught driving drunk (not me). Bribe.
Neighbour claims to have some shit on you. Bribe.
Help obtaining land. Bribe.

[quote=“shanro”]Yes, it is disgusting. But I may as well exploit this for my benefit…

Has anyone ever done it?

There have been one or two times so far when I have wanted to (try to) bribe somebody. Usually just to get into a restricted area blah blah. However soon I would like to get a local license. Unfortunately my eye sight to too poor to pass the death (not dangerous to drive but, IMO). In Australia I also could not pass the test, but I went for a drive with an occupational health and safety employee who vouched for me that my eye sight was sufficient. I am unlikely to be able to do that in Taiwan, so plan B is slipping the old nurse who will undoubtedly do the test some cash.

If it didn’t work at first, surely I could slip her such a large amount she would be unable to turn it down… 10k? That must be enough, surely!?

I don’t think I could ever bribe somebody to do the job they should do anyway (like imploring police to investigate something) but I have never been in that situation. My situation, getting somebody to do something they wouldn’t normally do, seems less ethically dubious. In fact, I think it would fit the definition of a victimless crime. However, as Sam Harris points out in his book The End of Faith, victimless crimes are not crimes at all… Except against federal law, I guess.

Anyway, how should I go about doing this? My first guess is, after failing, show her a few thousand and cheekily say “da gai wo tong guo le” (maybe I passed) or “da gai wo de yan jing hen hao” (maybe my eyes are very good). Of course my Chinese is atrocious and she may not understand, so my other idea was simply to show her the cash and ask hao bu hao?

Your thoughts?[/quote]
First off, your Chinese is inappropriate. “dagai” does not mean maybe, it means likely, and it sounds weird in this context. Second, you won’t easily be able to bribe your way through an eye exam, as that’s done very publically. Third, I knew a guy who passed his written test and eye test, flubbed his driving test, but gave the examiner 20k in an envelope and he passed. So your idea of “a few thousand” might just piss the examiner off. If you’re going to bribe someone, don’t insult them when you’re doing it.

Your eyesight is so bad you can’t even see well enough to pass the (very VERY rudimentary) eyesight test, yet you consider yourself to have the “morally superior position?”
Jesus H. Cherrist on a sidecar! Your blindness is the very LEAST of your problems, mate!
Blind bastards on the road: Worse than octogenarians in flat hats? Worse than your average woman? YOU be the judge.

[quote]
Has anyone ever done it?[/quote]

I paid ‘VIP’ rates for utilities and various bits and pieces (careful now) for an easy life in Thailand.

Nothing weird, though.

[quote=“sandman”]Jesus H. Cherrist on a sidecar![/quote]That would work.

[quote=“sandman”]Your eyesight is so bad you can’t even see well enough to pass the (very VERY rudimentary) eyesight test, yet you consider yourself to have the “morally superior position?”
Jesus H. Cherrist on a sidecar! Your blindness is the very LEAST of your problems, mate!
Blind bastards on the road: Worse than octogenarians in flat hats? Worse than your average woman? YOU be the judge.[/quote]

Are you an opthamologist or optometrist? Maybe you are but I don’t think so. I am going to trust their judgement, the judgement of a professional health and safety employee, the judgement of my driving school instructors, the judgement of the person who conducted my license test and my (spotless) track record of city and country driving in Australia and in Taiwan over your completely baseless accusations of blindness. I can tell by your tone that you take pleasure in making such insulting comments. Does doing it with no specific knowledge of the circumstances increase the pleasure?

Exactly the reason I asked. Obviously I have no context for whether 20k (or 10k) is “fair” or not. I guess it is better to lean to the higher end than the lower.

[quote=“shanro”]
How would a crash be the result of my bribery, as I have already driven in my home country (and will do so, legally, when I return) and am currently driving my car LEGALLY here in Taiwan with my IDL. I am currently driving a 125cc scooter illegally. I want a motorcycle license so I can do this legally, for which I would need to pass an eye exam. As already stated but, though not to legal level my sight is more than sufficient for safe driving. I have had 3 optometrists in my life (and met another on one occasion) and each of them said my eye sight poses no danger if I were to drive. One of them went so far as to encourage me to petition my state government to change the requirements. Obviously though, my government does understand that people like me are not a danger and thus I do have a real license, using which I have never had an accident. Sorry, but I have the superior position in this conversation and there is no space left for your argument.[/quote]
The crash could be the result of someone with shady eyesight in rush-hour causes an accident that kills someone, and since that would be the result of the bribery than: When A leads to B and B leads to C then A is causing C.
Nice knowing that you are driving around in Taiwan, hopefully you don’t live in Taipei, wouldn’t want to run into you on the road, or perhaps I should say that I wouldn’t want you to run into me on the road… Just remember that there is always room to argue, guess that your position isn’t so superior after all.

[quote=“Lappy”][quote=“shanro”]
How would a crash be the result of my bribery, as I have already driven in my home country (and will do so, legally, when I return) and am currently driving my car LEGALLY here in Taiwan with my IDL. I am currently driving a 125cc scooter illegally. I want a motorcycle license so I can do this legally, for which I would need to pass an eye exam. As already stated but, though not to legal level my sight is more than sufficient for safe driving. I have had 3 optometrists in my life (and met another on one occasion) and each of them said my eye sight poses no danger if I were to drive. One of them went so far as to encourage me to petition my state government to change the requirements. Obviously though, my government does understand that people like me are not a danger and thus I do have a real license, using which I have never had an accident. Sorry, but I have the superior position in this conversation and there is no space left for your argument.[/quote]
The crash could be the result of someone with shady eyesight in rush-hour causes an accident that kills someone, and since that would be the result of the bribery than: When A leads to B and B leads to C then A is causing C.
Nice knowing that you are driving around in Taiwan, hopefully you don’t live in Taipei, wouldn’t want to run into you on the road, or perhaps I should say that I wouldn’t want you to run into me on the road… Just remember that there is always room to argue, guess that your position isn’t so superior after all.[/quote]

Your conceptions of this situation means your logic, though possibly correct, is irrelevant. Because, as I have written, my eye sight cannot cause an accident! If it could then I would not have been granted a legal license in Australia. The only practical effect caused by my condition is an inability to read distant road signs clearly. Making out physical objects is no problem. Can you please understand this? The lack of rational understanding of such a simple situation is disheartening.

[quote=“shanro”][quote=“Lappy”][quote=“shanro”]
Nice knowing that you are driving around in Taiwan, hopefully you don’t live in Taipei, wouldn’t want to run into you on the road, or perhaps I should say that I wouldn’t want you to run into me on the road… Just remember that there is always room to argue, guess that your position isn’t so superior after all.[/quote]

Your conceptions of this situation means your logic, though possibly correct, is irrelevant. Because, as I have written, my eye sight cannot cause an accident! If they could then I would not have been granted a legal license in Australia. The only practical effect caused by my condition is an inability to read distant road signs clearly. Making out physical objects is no problem. Can you please understand this? The lack of rational understanding of such a simple situation is disheartening.[/quote]
Bribery be damned! That’s devil talk. We whitemen are here to spread the benefits of Western civilisation and should set a good example. I also have crap eyesight but I could still get a restricted license (good up to 150cc).