How to describe a boston butt roast in Chinese

This article explains different cuts and how they are used pretty well.

This one sounds correct!

That’s pieces from the upper (back) ribs and back bone, the shoulder blade they cut out when slaughtering.

Taiwan has some different cuts from the west.

For pulled pork, what’s the difference between the Boston butt and the picnic shoulder? I mean for flavor, cooking time etc

They are the same, just cut different according to Taiwan cuts.
Anything (shoulder) muscle needs cooking longer and is lean. If you have the Boston Butt cut in ‘steaks’ it cooks fast. Of course pulled is cooked longer to get stringed meat.

1 Like

Good question. I’m always confused by the two cuts. Any meat cooked on the bone tastes better to me. When the bone is loose, I know it’s done. I put a spicy dry rub (like black pepper, Chipotle pepper, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, salt NO Sugar or it’ll burn) and grill over indirect heat at 100C for at least 12 hours. I don’t have a proper smoker, but put some wood chips on the grill. If you don’t have a grill, this cut is also awesome in an oven or so easy in a slow cooker (no water). Great on fresh tortillas or Texas toast.

2 Likes

I have failed! I went to pick up the roast and found they had a bag of bones for me. I bought the smaller roast from them for 900, and then went to another stand and bought the big mama roast for 1400. Let’s see what happens!P_20190518_101906 P_20190518_102110

1 Like

波士頓屁股, how did it go?

Nobody will know what you’re talking about.

Just bring the cut chart and show them. These meat dealers are butchers themselves so they will know if you show them what part of the pig it’s from. It’s not like these meats are from an animal other than a pig, and since these guys butcher hogs for a living I’m sure they will make a cut for you if you buy enough.

1 Like

Yep. Always use a picture over words.

1 Like

Also what’s the cheapest price per pound for pork here? In Texas I find Boston pork butt for a little under 2 dollars a pound… but here it’s 70 per 台斤 (which is a little higher than pounds)

Just raise your own pigs, problem solved. Added bonus thick cut bacon.

That’s 2.2 x 60 = 132 NT$ per kg

70 NT$ for 0.6 kg
1/0.6 = 1.66 x 70 = 116 NT$/kg

We pay about 120 NT$/kg.

It’s impossible to find uncured pork bellies in the states, but here they use it for hotpot

They said they remove the bones at slaughter which is why they don’t have it. They really can’t understand why I want this.

I cannot understand how bones are so often removed from pork. Where’s the flavour come from guys?

I think it’s a plot , developed by Dentists, to add bones afterwards . This ensures that we all find the bones in Taiwanese meat… eventually

possibly because they make meat broth with it… you know stuff like Wonton soup/noodle, yangchung noodle, etc.

Taiwanese eat a LOT of pork bone broth.