How to describe a boston butt roast in Chinese

3 hours, at least another 9 needed

4 Likes

Close the lid, fast! It will turn out just yummy!

P_20190519_184617_vHDR_Auto

one kg of the 梅花肉, cooked for roughly 7 hours in the oven at low temp.
It’s glorious, and the cooking liquid will become an amazing sauce.

2 Likes

My wife has become a huge fan of pulled pork, so in the last month or so I prepared it 4 times. I always used the 梅花肉, BUT there’s a huge difference in the result depending on the amount of fat. If the chunk of meat is lean(ish) the meat will not feel as tender as for full fat cuts.
The worst piece I got was from a supermarket (Chuanlien), but from the same store I also got one that had all the fat in place and turned out to be great. Both times it was 3/400g of meat.
The two I got from the meat distribution center in Yilan were 1kg each, both turned out great but one cut was much better than the other, as the fat was more evenly spread all around the meat.

The distribution center is the place where meat and veggies can be bought at the cheapest prices in the region, because stores go there during the night/early morning to buy stuff that they’ll resell at traditional market, and 1kg of 梅花肉 is around 250nt.

Where is it at 120nt/kg in Taipei? I could bring a cooler bag next time I’m in Taipei and bring some back home.

2 Likes

They do vary in quality. I’m not sure if I can buy at that price as I’m also usually buying this at the traditional market. @Belgian_Pie? I can’t remember the price at Costco.

A bit off-topic, but related…anyone know how to get a beef brisket here? Or what that would even be called?

The cut is usually called 牛腩 here. It is also referred to as 前胸肉

3 Likes

Happened to see this: https://www.costco.com.tw/Business-Delivery/Food-Beverages-Pet-Supplies/Frozen-Food/CHOICE-FROZEN-NAVEL-PASTRAMI-CASE/p/119466-B

I guess if I had the freezer space this would be an option too :sweat_smile:

Anyone know where I can get pork shoulder? I tried a few places and no go. Taipei area.

Go to a traditional market. They have the whole pig there, point to the part.

1 Like

My soon to be father in law is a butcher in sanchong. If anyone needs specific cuts let me know and I’ll help you buy it

4 Likes

That sounds like a great plan. I miss thick bone-in pork chops and have never been successful at buying a bone-in boston butt shoulder roast.

3 Likes

I talked to my fiancee, she said if there are enough orders we can probably figure out how to deliver as well if people aren’t in Taipei. His pork is really good especially his sausages I eat it all the time. My father in law has been a butcher for over 30 years.

You can pm me if you want. His shop is at 新北市三重區中正北路64巷23號1樓 but he can only speak Chinese or Taiwanese if you can’t speak the language it’s better to ask me and I’ll pass on what you want/get the order for you.

Sorry there’s no google listing for it (he’s very old school)

1 Like

I was told carrefour in tianmu will have it. I’ll check there next week. Thank you all!

2 Likes

Zhonghe Costco had some the other week. You get about 2.5kg, but it is cut into four smaller pieces. Costs about $300/kg. It’s probably cheaper to go to the traditional market and get it.

Does he do just pork or does he also do beef?

Sorry only pork, but I think he has friends who do beef. I’ll ask about it for you and let you know

1 Like