How to Gain Weight

Anyone wanna join me on a weight gain challenge?

Me me me me me me!!! :slight_smile: :smiley:

OK, Anisll, how much do you weigh? I’m 75 kg.

The winner is the one who puts on the most.

It’s gonna take will power, determination, and lots of pasta and cream cakes, but we can do it!

So, what’s the plan for gaining weight? :wink:

[quote=“Stray Dog”]OK, Anisll, how much do you weigh? I’m 75 kg.

The winner is the one who puts on the most.

It’s gonna take will power, determination, and lots of pasta and cream cakes, but we can do it![/quote]

Oh, I am 45 kg, but have trouble gaining weight. !!!

Except pasta and cream cakes, are there anything else we can try? :smiley:

I was wondering a way to gain weight with staying healthy people have been telling me I’m getting thinner everytime they see me and there wasn’t that much to start with. So I have the same question as the above poster.

Well, let’s do some research and post our findings here. Then all meet up for lunch or dinner at an all-you-can-eat buffet! I’m serious!

I know that it’s essential to have three meals a day, and to make the last one as late as possible - the weigt stays on better that way.

Any more info? I have to sleep now (also v. important), so I’ll do some research tomorrow.

Good night, my thin friends!

Stray Dog

Actually as I understand it one good way is to skip meals as well as not exercising - apparently, though I could be wrong, it can switch your body into what amounts to hibernation mode. “Holy shit, no food! Better save what we’ve got boys, it’s going to be a long one!”

Stray, how tall are you? 75 kilos is a fine weight if you are not too tall. I am 6’1 and range between 75 and 78 kilos (165-170lbs). Ideal unless you need more weight for some activity.

In my teens and early 20s I weighed around 140-145 lbs. I was healthy and very fit but I didn’t like being so light. Of course I had tried to gain weight before but never more than a few kilos. People said it was just my body type and metabolism.

They were wrong. The same principles that apply to the rest of the world apply to you and me: eat more than you burn off and you gain weight. Of course I tend to be very active and have a high metabolism but the principle is the same.

For a period then of 6 months I ate every day more than I was comfortable eating. I went from 145 pounds to a top weight of 190.

However, you must be careful and combine hard exercise with weight gain. Don’t just go for mass or you will gain fat and it will burden you for the rest of your life. Even now at 170 lbs, with a high metabolism I have to be careful of overeating or drinking for too many days or I will gain weight around my middle (which is where I gained some fat). You never lose fat cells, so if you are thin naturally don’t go screwing this up by gaining weight without a plan.

Remember also that it will not be that pleasant overeating every day for several months in a row and then continuing to eat more than you are accustomed to (though not as much as when you were gaining weight) to maintain that weight. To make this work you are going to have to changed some long term habits. Are you prepared to do this? If you aren’t, I’d say forget about it as you will lose all the weight you gained and be stuck with a greater propensity to gain fat in certain areas.

BTW, regarding how I gained weight:

I bought a book that listed the caloric content of most foods. I then determined that I need an extra 5000 calories a week to gain 1.5lbs a week or about 6lbs a month. I worked out my average daily caloric needs and then ate around an extra 1000 calories (some days more, some days less). I ate almost no junk food (except ice cream), but instead tried to get the extra calories with fruit (raisons are great), beans and nut dishes. Beans are good as they pack in the calories and are healthy for you. If you ate a can of pork and beans a day on top of your normal diet you likely would gain 5lbs a month (even as you lost all your friends).

But seriously, work out how much you want to gain, and plan a diet that will achieve this goal. There’s no need to pig out on shit. 5 bananas, 2 extra glasses of milk and a peanut butter and jam sandwich (all on top of your regular diet) will give you around 1000 extra calories a day.

Great info. Mucha Man.

:bravo: :slight_smile: :notworthy:

Sorry it’s brief - you deserve more, but I have to go to sleep.

Thanks!

I need to gain weight. But, I can’t have the calories. I am diabetic.

I only weigh about 63 - 65 kg 177cm. Slight build.

I used to weigh about 75kg before diabetes and playing water polo.

Worked out 3-5 times a week.

I’m looking for safe ways for diabetics to gain weight

I can’t beleive I missed this first time round. Stray Dog, count me in :slight_smile: and Mucha Man, good advice :bravo:

I know what you’re sayin’ dude.

I’m sure like others here I’ve actually lost weight since coming to Taiwan and have been struggling to regain it. My lack of exercise regimen, increased nicotine and alcohol intake haven’t helped my body shape. I’ve gone a bit round in the middle and thinner at the extremities :blush: (Not all my extremities, though :wink:)

My previous weight highs were during periods of regular healthy food intake (less alcohol and nicotine) combined with regular exercise (swimming, cycling, hiking, etc…) and I felt much better, in both mind and body, for it…

Mucha man, I’ve already been eyeing up the Hiking thread with a view to getting healthy again. Maybe we could combine the two, all go on negative diets and get out and up those mountains out there…

[quote=“Roach”]I know what you’re sayin’ dude.

I’m sure like others here I’ve actually lost weight since coming to Taiwan and have been struggling to regain it. My lack of exercise regimen, increased nicotine and alcohol intake haven’t helped my body shape. I’ve gone a bit round in the middle and thinner at the extremities :blush: (Not all my extremities, though :wink:)

My previous weight highs were during periods of regular healthy food intake (less alcohol and nicotine) combined with regular exercise (swimming, cycling, hiking, etc…) and I felt much better, in both mind and body, for it…
[/quote] My previous weight highs were here in Taiwan, when I didn’t exercise and had a tv and a fridge not too far from my bed. Beer was always in the fridge and it wasn’t a walk to the fridge either. I think I reached 80 kg

I noticed I didn’t put my weight in my previous message on this thread. I’m 70 kg.

I know what you’re sayin’ dude.

I’m sure like others here I’ve actually lost weight since coming to Taiwan and have been struggling to regain it…[/quote]
Matchstick_man, you do know you just quoted yourself, eh?

Yeah I’m trying to work out how to do the whole quoting thing properly.
It’s a way of looking bigger too. For the sake of continuity I’m stating that my above post was edited after 914’s comment.

1. Excercise regularly, 3 times a week at least. Gain muscle mass by lifting heavy weights for few reps (rather than light weight for lots of reps)

2. Eat right after you work out, such as a meal or a protein shake. You gotta do that within 30 minutes of working out, so you can resupply your body with nutrients.

3. Eat 5 times a day. breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, and something at night. You don’t have to stuff yourself, just NEVER let yourself get hungry. Eat plenty of protein, carbs, fruits and veggies.

Hm…that’s about it. I try to bring protein bars and such when I go on trips, so I won’t get hungry

Do this for a couple months. let me know if you see an improvement.

You guys can’t be serious! Or are you just trying to make me jealous somehow? Stay thin, its good for you. As Frost always says “The winner is the thinner”.

Hmm, my last session in TW gave me 10kg in 8 months without even trying.
I think those midnight guotie and other deepfried stuff made wonders. Sleeping on a full stomach before digesting is a good bet to gain weight I think.

YingFan
PS aceman, who said anything about muscles? just weight :laughing:

Actually I was doing what you suggested for most of last year, aceman. The only noticable growth was in my arms. My gut became smaller though. My weight stayed roughly the same too.

Are you really doing all what i’ve said on a regular basis, consistently everyday? Are you doing everything exactly as i’ve said? Cuz trust me, science dictates that if you ingest more calories and protein at the right times, then you will to gain some more weight than before.

I am a very skinny person, could NEVER gain any weight no matter how much i’ve tried. Used to be 135 lbs at almost 6 ft tall. Everyone who saw me would tell me i’m skinny. I tried working out hardcore, which made me stronger and look slightly more muscular but the results were limited, since I wasn’t much bigger and heavier. I tried eating fast (finishing a meal in 5 minutes), eating a lot (literally stuffing myself), chinese medicine, just being lazy and eating fatty junk foods, etc.

I’ve been doing that for 3 years with only slightly better results than before. Gained maybe 2 lbs total, to like 137 or so.

But then I decided to eat not more in one sitting, but simply more often. Like every 3 hours I would eat. I would eat plenty of protein and carbs. I would never let myself get hungry…and most importantly, I would eat right after working out, which I do 2-3 times a week. timing is everything.

Within 6 months, I gained about 6-7 lbs of muscle, my weight at 143-144 lbs. It might not sound like much to others, but for us skinny people it is a lot. Everyone who saw me says i got bigger, so it finally worked. I actually look more normal now, with muscles.

I also don’t have the time, money, and determination to do anything more. If you are really hardcore, you can lift weights everyday, drink protein/mass gainer shakes everyday, eat right before you sleep and right after you wake up, etc. I’m sure you’ll see results that way.

Let me know how it goes.