How to get a job without a broker in Taiwan?

such as?
The people who is qualifued to teach technology related subject (solor power. semiconductor, etc) will get at least double pay in western world than in Taiwan for the same job.
In fact English teachers are probably the only jobs that make sense for foreigners to come work in Taiwan. (And Spanish teachers from south/central America, French teachers from the carribeans and Africa ).
The foreigners who come teaching English in Taiwan makes more money than flipping burgers in their native countries. Of course if someone claims he/she loves to live in Taiwan, and is willing to make whatever salaries and do whatever jobs, those are the exceptions.

Do you end up with more extra money living in Taiwan vs back home?

Depending on where ā€œback homeā€ is. In suburb or rural America, the housing is quite affordable and the minimum wage is at least the federal minimum wage.

Thatā€™s true for all jobs. Nobody comes to Taiwan from the West for higher pay. But itā€™s ok because cost of living here is much lower.

Also, this law is referring to cram schools, so the ā€œtechnical subjectsā€ are probably stuff like Math, Physicals, Computer Science, and Biology, etc. What cram school teaches semiconductor and solar power?

Why would someone with a Bachelorā€™s degree and a ESL certificate be flipping burgers in their home country? In the US, such people would be teaching ESL to immigrant kids in inner city school districts.

Federal minimum wage is very low, like 7.25. You canā€™t live in rural America on that. But I donā€™t think many jobs pay that, Walmart for example pays at least 10 dollars an hour, but itā€™s still not a lot.

i posted

what they teach are

foreign teachers of regular schools are categoried differently from teachers of Short-term Supplementary Learning Centers.

Oh. This whole time we werenā€™t even talking about cram schools? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

So the $48k minimum required pay basically doesnā€™t even apply to most people at all. Thatā€™s funny because I asked in another thread a long time ago if foreign teachers in Taiwan get higher pay than locals, and people seemed to think so:

cram schools are Short-term Supplementary Learning Centers too.

Oh ok. Well, in that case we can just say cram school to avoid confusion. I bet 99.99% of ā€œshort-term supplementary learning centersā€ in Taiwan are cram schools.

Cram school literally means supplementary learning center in Chinese.

A lot of them will have short term or long term in their company name too.

1 Like

By the way, why would cram schools hire foreigners to teach technical subjects? They would need to have pretty good Chinese to teach those topics, wouldnā€™t they?

Who would send their kids to cram school to study those subjects in English?

they are schools similar to these.

ļ¼ˆ1ļ¼‰Gobelins, lā€™Ć‰cole de lā€™image
ļ¼ˆ2ļ¼‰DigiPen ꊀ蔓å­ø院
(DigiPen Institute of Technology)
ļ¼ˆ3ļ¼‰ęŗ«å“„čÆ電影å­ø院
(Vancouver Film Schoolļ¼Œē°”ēر VFS)
ļ¼ˆ4ļ¼‰AIE ę¾³ę“²äŗ’å‹•å؛ę؂å­ø院
(Academy of Interactive Entertainment Media Design School)
ļ¼ˆ5ļ¼‰Ubisoft Campus
ļ¼ˆ6ļ¼‰č§’å·åœ‹éš›å‹•ę¼«ę•™č‚²
(KADOKAWA International Edutainment)

1 Like

Ah ok. These are more like adult learning schools or ā€œbootcampsā€.

Because most cram schools donā€™t actually care about education. They care that their parents send children there.

They do this by claiming to create a foreign environment and all that so to give parents the benefit of living in the us without the immigration headache and crimes and whatnot.

Who cares if chemistry is being taught by someone who donā€™t actually know chemistry, in a language that the school isnā€™t teaching in?

Itā€™s basically a place for parents to drop toddlers at before they start school, or older kids at because the parent must work overtime and they donā€™t want them coming home early and playing video games.

There are also test prep centers for kids from international schools etc. intending to take subject tests in English.

1 Like

you affirmed, so maybe you know the basis the WDA does not approve English teaching salaries at minimum wage. HongKoner also claimed there is a minimum salary of 48k, but it seems he doesnt know the source. could you let us know it?

i feel it is strange that the minimum salary requirement is not written in the work permit manual for buxiban english teachers, as it is an important criterion they should meet. or, if you mean the wda is setting an unwritten arbitrary requirment, that may be another issue.

I guess now I know why Taiwanese teachers are paid much less than foreign onesā€¦ they literally canā€™t get a foreigner ARC if they donā€™t pay that wage.

I think theyā€™d pay a lot less if they could get away with it.

And Taiwanese on the other hand, all they have to pay is the minimum wage.

I thought the minimum salary to obtain ARC for foreign ESL teachers was $48k but I guess I might be wrong. There doesnā€™t seem to be a minimum requirement.

Thatā€™s for the APRC.

Ah that might be where the confusion came from. Someone must have thought I was asking about APRC.