How to get over culture shock?

I lived here in Taiwan during 2007 and didn’t know that I had culture shock until it was all over and I was headed home. Looking back, there was a period of time where I hated everything about Taiwan and saw the bad side in every situation.

A good indication is when you say ‘these f*cking people…!’ internally when confronting any situation or problem :laughing:

Anyhow, this time around I have been here for 6 rocky months. I just came back from a 3 week holiday at the end of July and was fired and had to find a new job ASAP.

Luckily I managed to find a job and get settled in a new apartment, but the old signs are there. I’m grumpy all the time, my fuse is about 2 millimeters long and I’m seeing the worst in every situation.

Last time I can’t remember how I shook off the culture shock blues. Hopefully it will pass soon because I’m a miserable bastard and it’s not a nice way to be.

So - to the experienced forumosii here - any advice or tips?

I wouldn’t think of that as culture shock. To me, culture shock is a short-term reaction you get when you first arrive in a new place.

Mincing words maybe, but I don’t think what you’re talking about is something you’ll be able to just shake off. I might ask, why do you stay here? There must be something you enjoy here or a reason for being here. What is it?

Why would you want to get over it?
Embrace it, man, it’s like free drugs…

Nothing to be done.

Well, besides having a girlfriend or getting drunk or so.

Driving with Sinatra Swing on in city traffic.

Beating up your 3y.o. nephews in a Wii boxing game (he he)

Beating up your gf/wife in a Wii boxing game (she kicked my leg, ouch)

Watching the nurses when my circulation collapsed…

ah, those were the days…

:laughing:

Well, I have read a few descriptions of culture shock. The one type is when you first arrive here and everything is strange and new. I actually really enjoyed that phase. A lot of my friends back home in Australia are Taiwanese, and I knew some Chinese which helped a lot.

I’ve spoken with a few foreigners here and they agreed that there is a phase that kicks in after a few months living here. It’s a combination of things usually that set it off. Dishonest bosses, thankless job, isolation, homesickness…

Thinking back, I had a girlfriend for 7 months when I was here in 2007 and during that time I was fine. So for me, most of the problem is lack of intimacy or human connection. I know people here, and can meet up and have coffee or whatever but it’s not the same as having a partner to share life with.

Tempo Gain - despite my whining, there are plenty of things that I like about living here, which is my current mood is frustrating me. I am usually a fairly positive, laid back person. I love the food here, the cost of living, the fact that I only work 3 to 6 hours a day and have weekends free…

[quote=“bob_honest”]Nothing to be done.

Well, besides having a girlfriend or getting drunk or so.

[/quote]

I think you nailed it, Bob.

[quote=“pubba”]
Thinking back, I had a girlfriend for 7 months when I was here in 2007 and during that time I was fine. So for me, most of the problem is lack of intimacy or human connection. I know people here, and can meet up and have coffee or whatever but it’s not the same as having a partner to share life with.[/quote]

Yeah that always helps, likely wherever you are

Those are the things to focus on then! Life is too short to worry about the other stuff. If it reaches a level where serious problems are impacting your happiness then it’s time to consider some changes.

Move to Taipei. Small towns have a way of ramping up culture shock.

Oop - have to change that :laughing:

Miaoli ‘City’ now. Heaps more things to do here. They even have a cinema!

Gotta get to the city man…even Taiwanese dont want to live where you live.

:roflmao:
Now THAT is funny!

This will probably never completely go away. I went from having “I hate Taiwan” months, to weeks, to days, and now sometimes, after ten years, I’ll still have moments, afternoons or even days.

The best thing to do is just let it pass. Don’t fight it, but don’t make it worse, either. Listen to the nice people: Go to Taipei for a day, or even overnight. Meet some people there. See some neat stuff. I find that the order of Taipei after living in a smaller place is sometimes enough to get my groove back. Miaoli may be bigger and nicer than Jhunan, but you may be craving some extra anonymity. Splurge on a nice western meal. Get a massage. Go swimming in one of those cool spa places. Take photos in the cartoon photo booths.

Hope it works out and you’re feeling better soon

Its like marriage, there are bad days and good days.

But you gotta work it ,or it will work YOU.

I didn’t experience culture shock when I moved to Taiwan. However, I’m finding it surprisingly difficult since I moved back to the UK. Main problem is I’ve forgotten how to zone out of conversations. If I’m sitting on a train all I can here is inane chatter from all directions. I also have to think about really simple tasks like buying a pint or asking the price of a bus ticket. My use of language has become strange, I think.

Noise is also a problem. I think I’ve trained myself to zone out of the constant high level noise you get in Taiwan, whilst in England it’s more like a low level whine like a mosquito that is really winding me up.

People seem to be very rude as well, which is a real shock. This may be down to the recession and a general feeling of anger. When I lived in Taiwan I was clearly in a different part of Taiwan to many posters because I found most people to be very polite. Except when I visited Taipei, which could have been down to familiarity breeding contempt.

I guess I’ll have to follow the advice given above and head off to Chinatown for some three cup chicken, and then get drunk.

Well back in the old days I would go to the local foreigner watering holes with my hard earned money in my fist drink a few pints and throw down a few tequila shots then just stand around until someone inevitably wanted to pick a fight, then I would hit them repeatedly in the head and have another pint before the cops and the other guy’s friends showed up and then go home and fall into a deep dreamless sleep.

But nowadays I surf or ride a bike. Miao-Li sucks, so you have to free your mind some how.

Like Victor Frankl wrote, you have the decision to react and feel to whatever anyone throws at you.

More on logotherapy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logotherapy

I like Frankl his book was the first one I bought when I first came to Taiwan and was sleeping on the ground in my 10 ping room with my backpack as a pillow.

[quote=“tomthorne”]I didn’t experience culture shock when I moved to Taiwan. However, I’m finding it surprisingly difficult since I moved back to the UK. Main problem is I’ve forgotten how to zone out of conversations. If I’m sitting on a train all I can here is inane chatter from all directions. I also have to think about really simple tasks like buying a pint or asking the price of a bus ticket. My use of language has become strange, I think.

Noise is also a problem. I think I’ve trained myself to zone out of the constant high level noise you get in Taiwan, whilst in England it’s more like a low level whine like a mosquito that is really winding me up.

People seem to be very rude as well, which is a real shock. This may be down to the recession and a general feeling of anger. When I lived in Taiwan I was clearly in a different part of Taiwan to many posters because I found most people to be very polite. Except when I visited Taipei, which could have been down to familiarity breeding contempt.

I guess I’ll have to follow the advice given above and head off to Chinatown for some three cup chicken, and then get drunk.[/quote]

That will subside. I felt exactly the same when I first got back. I was very upset and ‘out of water’ for at least six months. You just have to remember that manners are different - not better or worse. I fell off my bike the other week and three people came to help me! I used to get snarled at constantly, but that was partly because I was being a furrinner tard and holding people up. Brits will not tolerate delay - it’s not personal.

Me, I try to help out the furriners I meet because I know what it’s like. My housemate is punchably irritating but … I get it. So I bite my tongue when she feigns ignorance about the recycling collection again.

At least you know you are culture shocked. Culture shocked people who don’t know they are are really annoying.

Pubba - it’s real, but it’s irrelevent. Just keep on your path and doing what you decided before you were culture shocked was the best thing for you to do. Feelings are just feelings and shouldn’t control your brain. As long as you are moving forward somehow, on the path you want to be on, it doesn’t matter if you feel a bit shitty in the short term.

I guess it’s just like any other new stage in life; starting a new school, moving to a new town, starting a new job. Perhaps a bit more pronounced as the culture is so different.

It’ll pass.

Yup. I still hate Oxford, but that’s because it’s an overcrowded, smalltown dump full of transients, not because I hate the way they talk and they are too noisy on the bus and they all eat goats’ cheese ciabaaaaarrtta, like I used to. Subtle differences. :laughing:

Just as I was getting over my Britland culture shock, I moved to another part of the country which is a LOT different from my hometown.

The trick, pubba, is knowing what is culture-shock, and what is masochism.

Some good advice here.

To be honest I am really enjoying Miaoli so far. It has definitely been a good move after getting fired last month from my Jhunan job.

The people (Hakka?) seem friendlier than other places I have lived and my apartment is right in the middle of the seedy KTV joints, bars and restaurants. I love the fact that I am lulled to sleep by flashing neon lights leaking through my cheap shitty curtains. It all feels so metropolitan!

Found a great sub place today. Had a huge 12" sandwich crammed full of salad, 3 types of meat and REAL cheese. I was in fatguy heaven. Funny how something so inane back home can really turn your day around.

So, today was a good day. I started a new private class with 2 high school guys and we really hit it off. On the way home I saw a gathering and stopped to have a look. Turned out to be some kind of temple party or something. Somebody made eye contact and before I knew it I was bundled over to a table, sat down and plied with food and alcohol.

This is the reason I came to Taiwan, and why I love it. I just have to force myself to get out and do things each day, otherwise I just end up getting lonely and miserable.

I swear to god when I get more financially stable I am going to try living and working in Taipei or Taichung. Never lived in a big city here before, and there must be advantages to it.