How to get students to remove their masks

Over 90% of my adult students continue wearing them despite my encouragement to remove them. Of course, most of them had caught covid anyway, the masks offering little protection against omicron. Along with ten million other people in Taiwan…

After three years of (often mandatory) mask wearing, I’m tired of waiting for Taiwan to go back to the way it was before. A year ago I was in North America and hardly a mask in sight, people were eager to go back to normal.

Indoors, I still see around 90% of people hiding their faces. I feel like I’m starting to get mentally ill at the sight of them, as it’s a constant reminder of the severe restrictions we endured here as well as the “old” Taiwan when you could actually go out and see people’s faces. Such as a smiling welcome at stores, remember those days?

It’s like an unending dystopian nightmare that’s making me hate living in Taiwan. Any advice appreciated.

4 Likes

Even if you could get them to take off their masks, the same way of thinking that lead to extraneous mask wearing will persist in their life.

Best you can do is accept it and move on.

15 Likes

Over the past few months I’ve noticed more and more folks not wearing masks, so things are slowly going back to normal. But if people still want to wear them, it’s ultimately their choice. I don’t stress about it.

7 Likes

Some of their teachers in the schools are still recommending them to wear the masks…peer pressure does the rest.

1 Like

It’s not really your business if people want to wear their masks. If you learn to mind your business you and the others around you will be much happier.

On another note, I have a student that only wears a mask because he has a tan line and if he took it off, then he’d look like a clown. But the more he wears it, the worse the problem gets. I’d tell him to suck it up and take it off and enjoy his life. But I don’t. I just mind my business.

21 Likes

Make them use a phone with face id? Face id doesn’t work with masks.

10 Likes

How would one “make” them use a different phone or a phone with face ID, and how would that be any easier than making them remove their masks?

What a mind-blowing revelation. Thanks once again for educating the rest of Forumosa. :roll:

3 Likes

It does since iPhone 12

My pixel 7 doesn’t work with a mask…

Tell them you’re going to have them expelled because their wearing masks is causing you and others psychological distress. Then, for therapy, go online and vent your anger about how the medical mafia tried to subjugate humanity by forcing everyone to wear masks.

5 Likes

And welcome to the community!

5 Likes

Just accept that you live in a free society. I think they are dumb for wearing a mask at this point but I would fight for people’s right to be dumb.

5 Likes

I forgot the most important part. Thanks.

2 Likes

Take some famous cookies to class. Your students will have to lower their masks and you can get your peek at what they look like. You’ll be encouraging mask wearing for those that want to after that. Problem solved.

4 Likes

Time to make the switch.

He’s just switched from an iPhone to the Pixel 7 if I remember correctly, and I can’t imagine that downgrading back to iPhone just so he can do facial recognition while wearing a mask (which he’s also been complaining about – justifiably – for months) is that attractive. :whistle:

2 Likes

Don’t know if you can do this, but request any answers to questions in class be done with mask off, because you cannot hear them clearly. Then ask lots of questions.
Anyway, it is what it is. A herd of sheep without any courage to go back to normal.

3 Likes

I didn’t have an iphone, I had a HTC U12 Life which was extremely slow in addition to having piss poor battery life.

Fair enough - I obviously misremembered then. I just remembered you mentioning iPhones a few times.