How to get students to remove their masks

@Taiwan_Luthiers You should have called for a fact check on Aisle 5.

2 Likes

Forcing people to unmask is almost as selfish and stupid as forcing people to mask. Let them make their own fucking decisions. It has zero actual effect on you. ā€œDystopian nightmareā€ā€¦ donā€™t be a Karen. Move back home if itā€™s that big of a deal-breaker.

19 Likes

Add physical exercise to your class. A few hundred squats will make your students sweat heavily, making the masks uncomfortable.

3 Likes

I would need a new phone, after smashing this one :joy:

1 Like

Are they sitting close to other adults who are ugly and have bad breath? Maybe they should have the option

If they are adults they are paying customers, this limits your options. Depending on what you teach, you could spend the extra time to incorporate materials explaining how proper mask use is requires, including hand hygiene. If they have their noses hanging out or constantly adjust their mask without cleaning their hands after, the masks are useless (masks have value if used properly)

Or, you could just accept that it is what it is and be grateful you can choose not to wear one

A third option is to leave the country. For whatever reason it seems that many Taiwanese are not giving up the masks any time soon

4 Likes

I donā€™t like wearing masks. Itā€™s annoying. But if someone else wants to wear a mask, pierce their nose, dye their hair green, wear funky pale blue contacts, etc, more power to them. As long as theyā€™re not doing anything that affects my ability to teach.

Anyway, masks in Asia is a real ā€œwhen in Romeā€¦ā€ situation. Mask wearing predates the pandemic and only some navel gazing Murricunā€™ who is trying to impose his culture would tell his class to ditch them. Like @TT said, at least itā€™ll protect you from the severe halitosis that seems rampant here.

8 Likes

Thereā€™s really nothing counterfactual in what I wrote ā€“ note the ā€œif I remember correctlyā€ in that sentence (which you conveniently omitted when you quoted me). It just means that I didnā€™t remember correctly, and I covered that possibility in my post. The thing I reported on, factually, was my memory of what phone TL had, not what phone TL had. :man_shrugging:

The likely origin of my incorrect memory is TL repeatedly mentioning iPhones, because Iā€™m not sure why someone would keep mentioning iPhones if iPhones arenā€™t relevant to them. Besides, it isnā€™t reasonable to expect me or anyone else to firmly commit to memory everything that TL writes with 100% fidelity. Human brains have finite capacity, and thereā€™s a lot of noise to filter out. :roll:

I never said that!

I havenā€™t noticed bad breath at all. But, most of my students are wearing masksā€¦

1 Like

You totally did!

I kid, I kid

4 Likes

Lol, you had me to the Rocky bit, for a second I believed I totally did!

Disagree.He is a teacher and has right to see student faces. Its easier to read facial expressions and have a proper conversation. Easier to remember face and quality of teaching increase.

I am senior developer, and I donā€™t tolerate colleagues in my team have chewing gum, donā€™t brush teeth, smell bad and wear flip flops. We fired people for it. They are not on a beach, but in the office. They sign agreement before taking this employment and should honour it. Or move on.

So should OP student. Move to another classroom to another teacher. Or stop wearing masks

Thatā€™s not how it works here. Heā€™s in Taiwan, not the USA. Heā€™s also not the head of the school, just some teacher as far as I can tell. He cannot just arbitrarily come up with his own rules. If Iā€™m teaching I canā€™t make up a rule like ā€œno hats in classā€ just because I think headwear is disrespectful. They would complain to my higher ups, and rightfully so. If OP feels entitled to work in the type of western setting he misses, he should probably move back to the west.

6 Likes

Ha ha.

You mean like the morons have been doing.

1 Like

Donā€™t remember seeing 99 percent of students wearing them pre-pandemic.

Please donā€™t try and argue what is happening now is the same as people wearing them on scooters and the odd sick person wearing one five years ago. Itā€™s not the same.

2 Likes

Iā€™d like to think that body autonomy is a human right. Even doctors donā€™t have the right to poke and prod without consent. Teachers are not bosses. They must (by law) respect the rights of young people. MOE has ruled that it is a studentā€™s choice whether to wear a facemask or not.

Sidenote: How do you know whether people brush their teeth or not? Halitosis sniff test?

2 Likes

Itā€™s not anyone elseā€™s business what someone wears on their face unless itā€™s a security risk .

1 Like

My point is that Iā€™m sick of seeing up to 90 percent of people still hiding their faces. It wasnā€™t like this in Taiwan before. I miss being able to see smiling faces. Iā€™ve had some students for over two years and still have no idea what they look like.

As for freedom of choice, I didnā€™t have it for three years: mandatory masking (even outdoors for crying out loud), mandatory 14-day quarantines, and a closed border. And way longer than other countries. Didnā€™t feel like much of a free society to meā€¦

It is kind of dystopia when you go to a department store and nobodyā€™s smiling, most people hiding their faces behind these bird-beak style masks, and seemingly no desire to end the madness!

2 Likes

Sidenote: How do you know whether people brush their teeth or not? Halitosis sniff test?

6 foot rule?

Very american opinion

3 Likes

I donā€™t care if people want to hide their face (a personal decision that adults are free to make for themselves). What I do have a problem with is the way that masks muffle noise. Students already speak so quietly, when masks are on its simply impossible to understand what they want to say

2 Likes