How to get the vaccine as a foreigner?

Looks like I’ll have to get vaccinated in the US. Taiwan’s late and slow vaccine roll out has been super disappointing, especially since they usually blow the US away when it comes to any sort of public healthcare.

I don’t think anyones calls were right :slight_smile: so no worries
Many Canadian provinces have been flip flopping for a year… strict lockdown, no lockdown, partial lockdown, social bubbles allowed, bubbles not allowed. I guess it really is uncharted territory so one guess is as good as another

2 Likes

Yes, but with hindsight it would have been highly cost-effective to just take a punt on any vaccine and pre-order it hoping that it would be effective. The cost of remaining pretty much closed to the outside world is going to be higher. The CCP are going to block us getting vaccines as well.

3 Likes

This point really worries me.

1 Like

We won’t know until later because we teachers (especially us in the public schools) are not on top priority for receiving the vaccines. And if we have to wait until the new school year in September to get it, then I would be better off not leaving Taiwan as long as my employer renews my contract.

If you are under 60 and healthy, then getting it before September is reaaaaally optimistic.

3 Likes

You’re probably right, but things are going so much faster than expected in Canada and the US that I’m, well not exactly hopeful, but sort of fighting the optimism so I don’t get disappointed later?

1 Like

I totally understand. For every bit of hopeful news, some other stuff makes me pause… the EU botched roll out, the variants, those who refuse to get the vaccine, the CCP possibly meddling in Taiwan getting it… but even having vaccines available after only a year of the virus is a medical miracle. This will be over one day. It’s just a matter of whether that’s 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, etc.

1 Like

Totally true and something important to keep in mind. That being said, I want to see my parents and brother and niece and nephew and friends in Canada!

Plus I’m out of lots of the stuff I normally buy on the annual visits, so there’s that.

1 Like

Whoa. How did I miss this? Today??

Yes, I hear you. I want my parents to see my daughter. They’re missing her entire third and fourth year of life and both are in their 70s and have health issues. :disappointed:

1 Like

We’ve all read about Nano transmitter bullshit in Virus vaccines, if any possibly did I’d say Chinese one most likely.

You should have been following us over here. :grin:

Guy

The relevant age groupings on Taiwan’s priority list (at least so far) don’t include “under 60” as a category; the last priority group seems to be “50-64 with no preexisting conditions.”

Guy

Um … I have a really, really specific question. Is there any birth date information linked to that? Because I’m occasionally confused by how old I am by local reckoning (you’re age one when you start, your age clicks over at CNY, etc., depending on the family, no idea how government paperwork functions). And, well, by my counting, no, I’m not 50 … but by however they count it, maybe I am?

EDIT: Oh, interesting little tidbit near the end of article linked below - the sort of information that has me selfishly thinking “Yes, people of Taiwan, remain hesitant about the vaccine …”

According to the list, the CECC will consider making self-paid COVID-19 vaccines available if there is extra stock one to two months after the rollout has begun.

Here’s one of the articles that provides that priority list:

2 Likes

If the rollout in Taiwan remains slow, who knows maybe you will be deemed to be “50” by the time this last priority category has its turn. :grin:

Guy

6 Likes

I do wonder, in more dismal moments, if I’ll reach that milestone by any and all reckonings before I get the vaccine. Fortunately, however, things look more promising than that.

2 Likes

I’ve been back in the U.S. for a little over a week and already have my first Pfizer dose scheduled for April 8th. Squeaked in due to fact that many of my customers are farmers and I travel internationally. The rollout seems to be really picking up steam here.

2 Likes

By the looks of it they’ll still not be allowing vaccinated travelers in any time soon?

I had a son last October and my mother has been chomping at the bit to come and see him (she works in health care so has already had her two doses of Pfizer)

Visiting relatives in Taiwan has been allowed.

2 Likes