How you guys keeping warm these days? It's chilly Winter 2023!

I went for a walk in shorts, cold weather underarmour top and a thinnish hat, and started doing some striders at the track as I have decided that I am in training for a 10k now. I’m toasty now.

2 Likes

Cool. This is the weather for it. And I envy your good knees. Here’s the website for the races (you probably are already aware of it):

http://www.taipeimarathon.org.tw/contest.aspx?lang=en-US

3 Likes

I’m on it atm. I canNOT believe I missed the signup for the Beigan marathon. :wall:

1 Like

Yes. I agree. Only October & November were pleasant. December isn’t done with us yet. But I guess we just need to ‘acclimatize’ to the suddenly cooler temps. 11C isn’t that cold, on the grand scale of things. But the RF makes it ‘feel’ colder, as does the sudden onset of the cold front. Our bodies need a little time to adjust, it was 29c just last Monday.

3 Likes

Wow! I’m thinking of running shorter marathons. How do I start?

You just register on-line, pay the fee, and show up on race day. 10k and up is standard in Taiwan. Not too many 5k races but they often have a fun 3k distance or so in many races. The 5k distance can be a very cool distance to train for, but most runners here look down on that distance.

2 Likes

Ok, I got my feather duvet out of the closet and onto the bed. Gonna be toasty tonight!

1 Like

Although I’m Californian by birth (not by choice), my last job was 100% travel and I spent the previous 4 winters in the Midwestern snow, and a stint working outdoors in Alaska, where the warmest it got was 16°C.

I usually wear jeans, a flannel shirt, and a set of Adidas kicks with cheap Walmart Hanes socks down to 4°; my HVAC and my car’s climate was set to 20° all year round before I came to Taiwan; I brought an extra jacket while riding my motorcycle for some errands yesterday and didn’t even think of reaching for it. Cold weather is my bee-itch.

On the other hand, I legit started cracking up when the 里長 made an announcement on the PA last night to discourage going out because of just 10°. My mom is dressed starting at 20° how I would in -30°: Sweatshirt, padded jacket, insulated pants, wool socks, and boots, and for her, huddling up near the heater in her room.

She’d freak out how little I wear every single day until I actually had to write a letter explaining that I’m not trying to show off or anything and I’m genuinely fine, and to stop trying to buy clothes I won’t wear (she has an obsession with clothes to the point of being a mild hoarder; our guest room is almost unusable because of how many clothes are stashed in there, yet she only wears the same 10 articles of clothing). She hasn’t said more than 2 sentences to me since Monday evening, but I’m enjoying the silence :grin:

2 Likes

Broke out the down jacket for the morning scooter ride today for the first time this year. Hope it doesn’t rain later…

Most likely overkill for Taiwan, but a suggestion for those who have piss in their veins:

1 Like

Or for those who enjoy wearing cotton out in the rain.

For those who don’t know, wet cotton is basically the worst thing for keeping you warm

2 Likes

I have a sudden need for finger-warmers.

Wait what? What neighbourhood is this, may I ask, that has such a speaker system for the whole neighbourhood? It sounds like an elementary school.

Guy

4 Likes

A scarf, gloves (the fabric ones were not enough, but couldn’t find my leather ones), leather jacket, and trenchcoat were required this morning on my 30 minute scooter ride into the countryside.

you know those come in specially fitted 5-packs now?

they’re called gloves.

5 Likes

Just spent about 4 hours riding my motorcycle around the mountains in north pingtung, I had to put a hoodie on it’s sooooo cold :cold_face:

2 Likes

I keep warm by not living in Taipei.

7 Likes

What?!

Mind blown :exploding_head:

1 Like

Loves me some traditional Northern Thai cuisine.

1 Like