Huashan Park Murder in Taipei

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B60iei7ZSDU

How is this possible?
They let his sister walk into the crime scene.
They demolish the rime scene.

Anyhow, another of the you don’t want me, so nobody can have you.

This gruesome murder actually took place at the so-called “120 Grassroots Self-Autonomous Zone” adjacent to (but not actually part of) Huashan Park here in Taipei City.

For some astute analysis of social media and mainstream media coverage of the murder and what’s NOT being discussed, check out this piece by Brian Hioe over at New Bloom:

Guy

I’ll sum it out so no one else has to go through what I did reading the article. Toxic masculinity lol

4 Likes

Put otherwise: men behaving badly–and the problem not being named or discussed as such. Men, get your act(s) together!

Guy

and anarchists’ opinions.

I roll my eyes whenever I hear about male privilege in Taiwan. Tell me again which gender of my entire family had to do conscription? A clear sexist law that you’ll never hear Taiwanese feminists tackle. Can’t cherry pick stuff. Want equality on the island. Start with the law forcing only one gender to be responsible for protection of it through conscription. Plenty of roles for women in protecting an island of only 24 million people.

3 Likes

I don’t think the issue in this thread is compulsory military service.

The topic of the thread is yet another angry man killing and chopping up a woman.

Honestly speaking this is not something I personally would “roll my eyes” about. It’s grotesque and I can’t imagine anyone (including you, Andrew) wanting this to continue.

Peace to all,
Guy

1 Like

It’s not. It’s a response to the article talking about all the privileges males have in Taiwan.

kind of a blanket statement on men, even if you are a man yourself

1 Like

Brian Hioe is talking about social media /mainstream media representation of this awful event, and how this representation is obscuring as much it is reveals. Have a look again, the article is really well written and worth thinking about.

Guy

1 Like

He’s half right. Media is trying to point the finger at the wrong things like the autonomous zone people. The right people maybe would be…the people chopping people up? Not toxic masculinity, male privilege and just men in general.

I got about 2/3 of the way through the first paragraph and ran into the phrase “toxic masculinity,” and stopped reading. Sorry, not going there.

9 Likes

Ooh, the ever-shrinking period of military service. Compare that to not getting kids in divorce settlements, hiring bias, and many other examples of male-primacy in Taiwan. Yeah, right. I have no issue at all with requiring females to do military service, if that would clean up the other million and one ways women are disadvantaged in Taiwan and elsewhere.

5 Likes

More like infantile man
Or a murdurous self-obsessed generation.

1 Like

The recent awful murders suggest that it is not “people” chopping up “people.” It is men (yes plural) chopping up women (also plural).

Toxic masculinity (the phrase used by Hioe) is an analytical term that is far from overgeneralizing. It is naming the kind of masculinity that is causing damage and being enabled by all sorts of factors (including by the actions of some women).

Men of the world unite! It’s time to state unequivocally that enough is enough.

Peace to all,
Guy

1 Like

A quick observation before I sign off: many (not all) of the posts in this thread are demonstrating Hioe’s point. Far from taking down his point, many folks here are showing that his analysis of social media discourse–and the failure to square up and name what is happening here–is actually correct.

Peace to all,
Guy

3 Likes

Back in the old days, we just called these people “psychos” and left it at that.

Calling it “toxic masculinity” actually downgrades what it is: a tiny minority of deranged nutcases, who probably cause more damage than they otherwise might because of a cultural fear of confrontation. Or, if you prefer, a lack of precisely the kind of masculinity that might put these guys behind bars sooner rather than later.

5 Likes

It’s horribly written. He’s taken the fact of these recent cases, and that there are concepts called “toxic masculinity” “male privilege” etc, and is just hammering it all together without any particular evidence. Then, you got these artists. Apparently these artists are pursuing some pretty unusual social arrangements–if everything I’ve seen is to be believed–on the government dime. No one complained until someone got killed there. So, they’re going to shut it down. It’s not even a bit surprising. And they’re going to catch some crap for it in the media too. Which will blow over, and they can go back to being the artists they were before, very quickly.

Like the last article, he makes some good points, but if he stuck to them and skipped the unsubstantiated social analysis, he’d have a much better piece. It might not be so sensational I guess, but I for one would be a lot more likely to take it seriously.

3 Likes

Oh I love this game. How am I being oppressed more than the other group. You mean how men are expected to be bread winners still in Taiwan, etc etc. you mean better looking people fair better in interviews!? Oh lord rise up against the beautiful people. Far as I know there’s no legal basis for saying males are better off in a custody hearing and discrimination in hiring is illegal not saying discrimination itself doesn’t happen. How about start with a clear sexist law for equality before we go anywhere, I’ve yet to see any women say anything about how it’s pretty unfair only men are conscripted fighting for “equality”

Well, women tend to end up on the dead side more than men in crimes like this.

6 Likes