Huashan Park Murder in Taipei

OK… feel free to hug a thug.
Better yet, why don’t you host them in your home… since they can be rehabilitated right? They are just misunderstood.

In cases where it’s absolutely clear who a murderer is via CCTV and multiple witnesses , I would be OK with dispensing with due process and wasting the courts time and go right to the execution.

Recently this stuff has been getting a lot of attention back home too. Young woman walking home by herself at night. Wacko rapes and murders her. Enough is enough; end toxic masculinity woman should have the right to walk alone at night and telling them to avoid doing so is victim blaming so on and so forth. (I shit you not, the police had to go back and apologise for a statement suggesting women be aware of their surroundings and avoid walking in risky areas/times)
Nothing is actually said about what should be done to prevent it. Education apparently. I think education has reached a sufficient level in our society that most people acknowledge that rape and murder are bad.
I don’t know if the irony of blaming men in general for this is lost on the #notallmuslims crowd

Observing it one gets the impression they’re about to round up all the men and forcibly castrate them.
As mentioned above, by nature males are more prone to violence. save pumping the water supply with hormones nothing will change that. Usually our society works in a way that people realise committing violence isn’t worthwhile. The problem is one someone feels rejected by society, and that they have nothing to lose.

Why “rape and murder” are called “<some_type_of> masculinity” here?

Will be “to poison your couple” called “toxic feminity” some day or what?

1 Like

I repeat: go ahead. Gather (actual) scientific evidence, propose a theory to explain it, and voila!

Sorry, very basic question, but what is masculinity? Is it a biological thing?

Seriously, we need to go over why vigilantism is problematic? :roll_eyes:

One man’s “obvious” is another’s ambiguous. You may see a gunman on the grassy knoll that experts later declare to be an optical illusion. Facial recognition is not foolproof. You can wear a prosthetic face. Police can use their body cameras to frame you while they attack you. And so on…

Even when you do have the actual criminal, instant execution may eliminate a valuable source of information about other crimes, among other things.

Observing some of the comments here, one gets the impression that at least one of Sigmund’s theories was right. :hushed:

It’s a social structure, a conditioning of identities, socially produced, and contingent in different times and places.

The fact that many (not all) forumosans energetically posting their opinions in this thread are unable to understand this starting point is more than a little sad (I am not referring to you, tando, as you are clearly smart enough to know what you don’t know).

Peace to all,
Guy

1 Like

Dictionaries give definitions like that which is masculine, and for masculine they give definitions like pertaining to men.

There’s always this thread…

Oh, and @Andrew0409

Can you imagine the outrage if we had a law that made women waste 1-2 years of their life basically.

I don’t do abortion debates, period, so someone else can try that. But could we get some clarity here please? One year, two years, four months – which one is it? (Never mind the ten day version, or the stay out of Taiwan from the time you can’t get a deferral anymore until your xth birthday version…)

This is not true. If you listen to gender studies professors so far up their ass maybe. You basically ignore all the evidence Like even infants display difference in behaviors being male and female and all the biological reasoning of masculinity and femininity being innate. Is it layered with social influences, I would say so. But to say it’s totally a social construct is a slap in the face to all the evidence based date people like psychologists have done research on.

1 Like

Depends on the year you’re born. And you’re completely missing my point and the big picture.

Which is/are?

Perhaps all social constructs are on a spectrum. If so, toxic masculinity would be equal to masculinity - only in varying degrees of toxicity.

I think I could knock out a paper on this one and maybe build myself an online presence. There’s gold in them thar PC hills.

I’ve said it and you’ve replied to it yourself. It’s not hard to get. You’re so focused on the semantics and the finer details but not the point. How long and how it would be done isn’t the point. It’s the only law that’s right in your face that only impacts one gender. If there was a law that for one day women had to take time off and sit in a room for no reason. It would be sexist. Yet every male has had to take up to 2 plus years of their life including waiting period to become conscripts. It would also impact males professional life not to mention be the only gender forced to be on the forefront of war. Yet no feminists I’ve heard talking about male privilege and equality in Taiwan seems to want to tackle a very clear sexist law. You can’t cherry pick.

That sounds perfect. Write some bollocks about it and you’re guaranteed to get some shekels.

““We assumed that if we were merely clear in our moral implications that maleness is intrinsically bad and that the penis is somehow at the root of it, we could get the paper published in a respectable journal,” they explained.”

You’re comparing apples and oranges. Postpartum depression is a real thing and it’s effects have been felt for thousands of years. Machismo and treating boys like little princes is quite different.

If it was only that easy. Until you see them trying to make everything you like less enjoyable for no fucking reason. I had to read about how a game developer got a feminist to come see their game I’ve been looking forward to to approve it as PC…

Movies and shows got to be PC now. Feminists shows are shoved down your throats as good when we know it isn’t.
Sports- taking away collegiate men’s sports like my university had to do. Taking jobs away from grid girls in formula one and going after mma and boxing. They aren’t necessary but I don’t see why they have to come after the sport and people’s jobs. Women’s pro sports often take funding from their counter parts because they can’t sustain themselves.

Even now video games

The list goes on and on. I just want to enjoy everything and not take things so seriously. I don’t want a politically correct feminists video game. It’s a game, it’s made up for entertainment.

I really dislike linking the word toxic with masculinity.

In general, men are born to be masculine…women to be feminine .

It’s our human nature and we should celebrate men and women equally.

We shouldnt be constantly denigrating men, manhood, masculinity because of the sins of the few.

In my workplace they recently had a ‘special girl day’ where they only invited daughters of staff to get some hands-on experience in a high tech company.

That really shocked me that they didn’t invite the sons.
I feel it is outright discrimination, but because it’s a corporate initiative from the top we can’t voice our distaste openly (this in the UK not in Taiwan).

5 Likes

That’s not true. Paternity leave is five days, vs. eight weeks of maternity leave. Why are you not upset about that? Because it’s the law of nature? :bird: :bee: :tulip: :baby:

But hey, plenty of non-combat roles as you would say, and I think you underestimate the manpower that it takes to run a functioning family with small children.

If there was a law that for one day women had to take time off and sit in a room for no reason. It would be sexist.

Of course it would. What the law actually says is that women have the option of doing exactly that, once a month, and it counts as a day of sick leave (not an extra day btw). Does that upset you? I would say try getting a UTI and bleeding through your urethra once a month and then see if it still upsets you, but that’s just not practical advice (let alone medically sound), so I will refrain. :zipper_mouth:

Yet every male has had to take up to 2 plus years of their life including waiting period to become conscripts. It would also impact males professional life not to mention be the only gender forced to be on the forefront of war.

Mm-hm. And who wrote that law? And where has it been heading in recent years? And who sent it in the direction it’s going in? And why? Honest questions, those last two.

Yet no feminists I’ve heard talking about male privilege and equality in Taiwan seems to want to tackle a very clear sexist law. You can’t cherry pick.

Yet no feminists I’ve heard talking about male privilege and equality in Taiwan seem to take an active role in oppressing men. You can’t blame them for laws they didn’t write.

If the fact that they “write what they know” so to speak is what upsets you (women’s rights protestors protesting about women’s rights – how absurd! Next thing you know there’ll be Taiwanese protesting about Taiwan-related issues and hypocritically neglecting what goes on in Europe and Africa!), go ahead and start a masculinist organization or a gender neutral organization. It may already exist. Have you looked?

One person’s enjoyable is another’s unenjoyable. You don’t think they’re trying to make things less enjoyable for themselves, do you?

Oh, the horror. Private sector should totally not be allowed to ask people for advice. Pass a law against it asap! :cactus:

Movies and shows got to be PC now.

Mate, if you don’t know where to get non-PC movies and shows, you don’t know how to use the interwebs. :2cents:

Feminists shows are shoved down your throats as good when we know it isn’t.

Lots of things are shoved down our throats as good, if we open our mouths wide enough. Soft drinks, trans fats, zombiephones… and lots and lots of “content”. Vote with your wallet. Nowadays that means vote with your attention span. But no cherry picking, eh? :no_no:

Sports- taking away collegiate men’s sports like my university had to do.

I think you have a point there, and that’s something you can challenge… in the US. Whether Title IX issues in the US have anything to do with your ability to enjoy softball, basketball, muay thai or whatever else you actually do in Taiwan is another story.

Taking jobs away from grid girls in formula one

The horror! The horror! How dare the private sector act in its own interest! Legislate mandatory grid girls asap! :cactus: :cactus:

and going after mma and boxing.

What’s this now?

Women’s pro sports often take funding from their counter parts because they can’t sustain themselves.

Take funding from? What sort of “funding” do self-sustaining pro sports have, if they’re self-sustaining? And who decides to divert that money to women’s pro sports?

Even now video games

See above re using the interwebs and voting with your wallet.

The list goes on and on. I just want to enjoy everything and not take things so seriously.

Welcome to the leisure force! :cactus: :cactus: :cactus:

I don’t want a politically correct feminists video game. It’s a game, it’s made up for entertainment.

You know what the most famous transgender character in the history of cinema – from the very un-PC 1970’s – would say to that?

You’re missing my point. You’re still caught up with the little details and counter points in your head. Sum it up, feminists never go after things that are clearly a unequal situation for men but cherry pick the “benefits”. That’s the entire point you keep missing.

:roll_eyes: you just keep rolling by the entire point don’t you? Yes let’s compare the biological functions of women to laws made by people.

Are you serious? A man write a law therefore it’s all the men’s fault like one or a few man represented all men…you realize like you said women make up about half the population and people that decide the laws are voted into in almost all situations besides the ones put in place by people we all vote for. Keep ignoring the fact women make up half the vote and blame the men who got elected by everyone as proof of sexism.

And yes I can vote for my dollar. But it’s ridiculous companies feel the pressure from people who don’t even play the games. They will suffer for it and games that went that way have gotten some backlash from gamers. But yes, I think many feminists are going after anything they see because it pleases them to man hate.

What is this ridiculous notion that if a man did something, it’s mens fault. A man wrote this law, it’s mens fault. A man build this road, it’s mens fault that women don’t like to bike on it. A man killed a women, men’s fault, etc etc. feminists love finding fault in one gender vs taking personal responsibility for being the other half of the human population. Don’t like how society is socially constructed? Guess what it wasn’t just men who took part in that, women were the other half. Why are all men now being hated for things we had no part of?

All you ever do is make some sarcastic comment and avoid the main point like the plague beating the straw man.

I say conscription for only one gender is sexist and unequal. True or false? And that it’s not something feminists ever address that I’ve heard of unless you got an example? True or false.

You then go into how many roles will women have, the logistics of it. How many years and how long. Women has menstration, women have more time for maternity leave, etc etc. Just keep avoiding the logical conclusion that it is a sexist and unfair law towards men and feminists (not all women) will probably never take it on.

And you seem to not understand what I’ve been saying to you or purposely trying to paint a different picture. I don’t care about male only conscription. I don’t go push for men’s rights but I think if you’re going to be fighting for gender equality it’s only fair to target inequality for both genders. And there are plenty of men’s issues but you’ll never hear about it. I’m not upset about men’s paternity leave time. I’m just pointing out half the shit feminists these say is BS and they dont really fight for equality in any sense of the word. And I’m annoyed at the constant pressure of feminist trying to come after things I enjoy because they think it’s part of some patriarchy.

1 Like