Huayu Enrichment Scholarship 2014-2015

Hello ! I am 27 years old guy from Bulgaria. I have been to Taiwan in 2013 and now I want to come back and study Mandarin, I will apply for the Huayu Enrichment Scholarship (HES) and I hope to get some help about the application process. I have to apply at the Taipei representative office in Greece, because they have the jurisdiction over Bulgarians… Here there isn’t any TECO or embassy. It’s not quite popular a Bulgarian to study in Taiwan, I haven’t heard about any Bulgarians studying there.
Can you guys give me any suggestions or info about the application process, ideas on how I could maximize my chance ? Do they look just for excellent grades history or the other documents like the recommendation letters and Study plan are important too ?

Suggestions on what should I write in the study plan field in the application form, what will be a good study plan for the Taiwanese thinking ?
About the 2 recommendation letters - should they be written by my professors or teachers here, or a Taiwanese person can write it for me ? For example I have a good friend who is assistant in Academica Sinica and I was thinking if it’s a good idea she to write a recommendation letter. Should it be handwritten or for example in a word document and printed out and signed ?

Can I just print out a filled application form to an Language center I have chosen, without actually send my applications to the Language center, and to present this application form to the Representative office for the HES application (as required document) ?

Thanks in advance guys. There aren’t any people I can find in Bulgaria, to talk about HES and studying in Taiwan and share their experience. And the scholarship is the only way for me to study Mandarin in Taiwan, unfortunately I can not afford to study without financial aid. :neutral:

Anyone ? Any advices for the study plan, please ? :slight_smile:

And how I can request 12 months scholarship, or if I win it they will choose how many months to give me ? Thanks.

Hi there Bulgarian guy.

Sorry no one who knows more has responded yet, but I can tell you what I’ve heard. (I am US American, also applying for 2014). As I understand, preference for the 12-month is given to people who have already studied Chinese, so you might want to try for a shorter term award if you haven’t yet done that (I’m a beginner, so I applied for 9 months). I am married to a Taiwanese overseas guy, so while I don’t know what the HES committee thinks, I have some idea of what Taiwanese officals might value. I’d say diligence, having a plan, genuine interest not just in Mandarin but in TAIWAN in particular. As for recs, I guess have one from a professor and one from your Taiwanese friend. And yes, typed. I don’t know what they want to see on the study plan, but you definitely want to be clear that you’re serious about Taiwan for the long run (the point of the scholarship is to make connections for Taiwan, and help people prepare who want to work in Taiwan). As for the application, when I asked this question to my TECO office here, they said to just print the first page of the application. I don’t think they need proof that you have sent it yet. SO! That’s all I know. Dobur chas! Maybe we’ll both have luck to meet in Taiwan…

Thanks for your reply and help, I appreciate. Finally someone replied :discodance: Dobur chas, you know Bulgarian ? I hope we gonna win the scholarship !
I am a beginner too, so, what did you mark in the Language proficiency CHINESE field, the minimum is fair ? I thought simply to not fill it out, because I am a beginner ? Where exactly did you write you apply for 9 months, in the study plan section in the application form ? I can’t figure out how to do that and request the desirable months.
Yeah, I will make it clear I am serious about Taiwan for the long run. So, it’s better to focus on working in Taiwan as a goal ? Better than a study goal, for example pursuing a Master degree or other degree ?
Good luck to you ! Hope to hear from you again.

I think a study goal is great! I already have a Masters, so I couldn’t put that. But I work as an intercultural consultant, so that seems to fit anyway.

I didn’t put anything, but under the chart I wrote that I hadn’t yet studied Mandarin formally, so I couldn’t assess my own competence. I can’t remember how I did the months…I thought there was some space on the application? Maybe just say you want to study as long as possible in your Study Plan, and leave it up to them?

As for dobur chas, I used to be married to a Bulgarian guy. I forgot most of my BG, but I do remember one joke, which my brother (a linguist, so he learned BG better than I did!) made up: “If you’re walking in the forest, what do you have to watch out for? Sh-shark attack!” :slight_smile:

Hi!

I am also about to apply for the Huayu Scholarship for this year. So firstly thanks for the tips!
I’m trying to work out what school in what city to apply to. I have never been to Taiwan so I have no idea. Would you mind sharing where you are applying and why?

I was thinking about Taipei or Tainan, because they are big cities by the sea.

Good luck with your applications!

from my end I’m applying for a degree scholarship. I did last year but wasn’t successful so am trying this year. hope I am selected. :slight_smile:

mrdonut nice, you have been married to a Bulgarian guy, who would expect that, and the joke is nice :slight_smile: Thanks for the advices, I guess I will just write in the study plan about how long I wish to study, can’t find any space about that in the application form.

Annemiek1572, Hi ! I will apply to study in Taipei - Fu Jen Catholic University Language center or Nacional Chengchi University. I have been to Taipei and Taichung( 3-4 weeks total), I like both cities very much, but I am a big Taiwan lover, so… Personally I prefer Taipei I think, because it’s very convenient, the transportation is great, I used to handle to go anywhere without any problem even since the first days of my stay. And my Taiwanese friends are there in Taipei, which is important for me. There is an AC everywhere, which I find great, because I can’t handle easily the heat in the summer. In my country I am not used to AC (in summer is 35-40 C, but not so humid, not a tropical/subtropical climate), but in Taiwan I prefer to have AC around in the humid and hot summer. The night markets in Taipei and Taichung were great too. This is from my small experience in Taipei, of course I wrote it short, you are welcome to ask about more details, if I can answer. I have no idea about Tainan as a city.

Of course, let’s hope to win the scholarship in the first place, good luck !

Urijela, good luck with the degree scholarship! What and where are you going to study?

Bulgarianguy, thanks for the advice! I’m from a country where 25 C is unusually hot in summer, so I might like the AC too… I was also thinking about the National Chengchi university, but isn’t it in a town outside of Taipei? On the website they warn students that private accommodation is hard to find because the town is small. It is still very close to Taipei city centre though, I suppose. Do you think it is important to live near the school, or is transportation so good that it won’t take 2 hours to commute?

About the application form: On mine I have to specify when I want to start and finish studying. So I guess that is how we request the length of the scholarship. Where did you get the form from?
Also, aren’t all scholarship students supposed to do a summer term first, and then continue in September with regular terms? It would be quite convenient for me if I could say on the form I will come in September but I thought the summer term was the obligatory part.

Thanks everyone and good luck!

Good luck to everyone applying this year! I just finished filling out my application today for the HES from the TECO in Houston, TX. I’m going to try to get 12 months, but I’ll be happy with anything I get since I am a beginner. I’ll be attending Wenzao in Kaohsiung starting in September if all goes well. I’ve had some friends attend school there and they have nothing but good things to say about it. Plus Kaohsiung is awesome! For me, it is the perfect mix of city and suburb with great public transport and plenty to do.

Annemiek: I can only speak for my TECO office… but they have 11 12-month scholarships to give out that they can cut up into 3, 6, or 9 month scholarships as they see fit. In addition, they have 2 summer term scholarships that they give out. The summer term scholarships are completely separate and are not obligatory in any way. I’d email your TECO office and see if their process is the same or similar. The folks at my office were very helpful and knowledgeable, just make sure you contact the Education department directly.

[quote=“Annemiek1572”]Urijela, good luck with the degree scholarship! What and where are you going to study?

Bulgarianguy, thanks for the advice! I’m from a country where 25 C is unusually hot in summer, so I might like the AC too… I was also thinking about the National Chengchi university, but isn’t it in a town outside of Taipei? On the website they warn students that private accommodation is hard to find because the town is small. It is still very close to Taipei city centre though, I suppose. Do you think it is important to live near the school, or is transportation so good that it won’t take 2 hours to commute?

About the application form: On mine I have to specify when I want to start and finish studying. So I guess that is how we request the length of the scholarship. Where did you get the form from?
Also, aren’t all scholarship students supposed to do a summer term first, and then continue in September with regular terms? It would be quite convenient for me if I could say on the form I will come in September but I thought the summer term was the obligatory part.

Thanks everyone and good luck![/quote]

NCCU is located in Wenshan District in Taipei. There are buses and the MRT is few stops away. I prefer to live near the school, but Taipei has a very convenient transportation, even off-campus apartment, in some distance from the school, will be fine.
Hmmm just in my application there isn’t a space to specify how many months I want to study ? I am a Bulgarian and will apply in Taipei Representative Office Greece, because they have the jurisdiction over Bulgarians, there isn’t any Taiwanese office or embassy in Bulgaria. Where are you from, where are you applying ?

I have another question about this scholarship. Hopefully somebody who has done this before can help me!

I’m looking to apply for the Huayu scholarship but I’m currently living in Taiwan. Is there an easier way I can apply for the scholarship while living in Taipei or do I need to send all the forms to my TECO center in the United States. If anybody has knowledge or experience doing this PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

Furthermore, is there anybody from the Kansas-City TECO that has applied for the scholarship & got it? Their website is absolutely useless & contacting anybody who knows anything about the program has been incredibly frustrating to say the least…

Thanks

[quote=“brettygood”]I have another question about this scholarship. Hopefully somebody who has done this before can help me!

I’m looking to apply for the Huayu scholarship but I’m currently living in Taiwan. Is there an easier way I can apply for the scholarship while living in Taipei or do I need to send all the forms to my TECO center in the United States. If anybody has knowledge or experience doing this PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

Furthermore, is there anybody from the Kansas-City TECO that has applied for the scholarship & got it? Their website is absolutely useless & contacting anybody who knows anything about the program has been incredibly frustrating to say the least…

Thanks[/quote]
I had the same question when I applied, and I was told I had to send the paperwork to a TECO in the US. I’ve asked other Americans living here and they all likewise had to apply through a U.S. TECO.

I applied at the Los Angeles TECO because I have family near there and used their address, so I can’t help you with the Kansas City question. BTW, I wasn’t awarded a scholarship, but one of my classmates, who had been living in Tainan, did. I’ll ask him where he applied.

Hi everyone!

Quick question, if for the application I need to send a copy of my application to the language center of my choice, does this mean I first need to apply to the school, wait for their response, and then apply for the scholarship? Or instead am I supposed to just send a copy of the completed application form for the language center and then later submit it depending on the result of the scholarship selection?

Guys, in the Language center application form, they ask for a Chinese name, what did you write ? How to create myself a Chinese name ? :bow:

[quote=“geometry”]Hi everyone!

Quick question, if for the application I need to send a copy of my application to the language center of my choice, does this mean I first need to apply to the school, wait for their response, and then apply for the scholarship? Or instead am I supposed to just send a copy of the completed application form for the language center and then later submit it depending on the result of the scholarship selection?[/quote]

Hey. As someone suggested earlier, I am thinking just to send a copy of the completed application form for the language center.

Any ideas, what Chinese name to write on the application ? Thanks :bow:

Hi again - well, it seems I’m not going to apply for this year, but wait until 2015. I want to get some more Chinese study under my belt, and spend some more time planning (I have three kids, so it’s a big move!). Annemiek, I spent a LITTLE time in Tainan last year and really loved it. Smaller scale, slower pace, more “traditional” feel. But it’s definitely a bit less convenient for transport & if you want western food, etc. I don’t mind the heat (and I’m from the NE of the US - we’re in 24 inches of snow right now!). Anyway, good luck to both of you!

I think if you haven’t studied Chinese at all before you can leave the Chinese name section blank. Or else, ask a Chinese or Taiwanese friend to help you come up with a Chinese name. Last resort post here your English (/Roman alphabet) name and see if we can’t come up with something suitable. Should be 3 Chinese characters long and not contain any characters with weird meanings.
The Taiwanese government has even produced a handout on this topic :smiley:
ris.penghu.gov.tw/makun/file/1010705-EE.pdf