Huayu Enrichment Scholarship 2017-2018

Hey guys,
I am just interested , anybody else applied for the HES?
I have applied at the swedish office , does anybody know how much time it will take for the office to publish the results? The application deadline was until April 15th.

1 Like

Applied in the Greek office, no communication whatsoever up until now. Deadline was March 11th.

Oh , I see. Let’s hope for the best. Which language center did you choose ? I chose NCKU in Tainan.

NTU in Taipei. However, I’m starting to change my mind. I hope even after the application I can alter where I want to go. NCKU in Tainan is one of those xD

I think you can change the language center. I was afraid that Taipei is too expensive , so that’s why I chose a language center somewhere in the south :smiley:

It’s not so much about the money to be honest. I just want to be immersed in the cultural as intensively as possible :3 Moreover, I have heard that people in Taipei stick to speaking English with foreign people. And I really want to improve my spoken Mandarin :confused:

I see :smile: I hope they announce the results soon.

1 Like

I hope, too. Good luck!

1 Like

I applied from the US and they say I should hear back by May 31st. I felt the same way about wanting to be immersed in the culture and improving my Chinese which I don’t feel like I would get as much in Taipei, so I applied to the National Kaohsiung Normal University. It’s so hard to wait for the results!

1 Like

I applied from the uk, still waiting too. They said before he end of April!

1 Like

Which office did you submit your application to? My office told me that they would make decisions by mid April.

I applied to the Houston office! What about you?

San Francisco! Hopefully they get back to me soon.

I went last year from Ireland. It’s an incredible opportunity but if my experience is anything to go by you really have to advocate for yourself. They told me over the phone that I had been selected in mid-may and then I heard very little from them until August which was a bit worrying. Anyway do not give up on the emailing and calling and you will evenually get an answer out of them :smile: good luck!

Does anyone know if interviews are standard?

I was wondering the same thing. I checked the application instructions on the Houston office’s website and it included this:

“Documents will be reviewed during the preliminary selection process and interviews with qualified candidates via internet or telephone may be required for final selection process.”

But the email I received after I applied just said that I will be notified about the results by the end of May, and didn’t mention anything about an interview. Maybe it depends on the office you applied to?

Indeed, the application instructions said nothing about an interview here :confused:

Hi, I was wondering if anyone from Canada had receive a reply for HES?

Thank you :smiley:

So I called them and they told me that I’ll have be noticed by the end of may. They also said they didn’t have proof of applying to a language center while I sent them both the application and the email acknowledging my admission -.-

Applicant from Los Angeles office here! They will supposedly inform me of their decision by the 10th of May, so now it’s just a waiting game. I was able to get in contact with a rep from the office, who said that around 20 people from the LA office get the scholarship, and expected about 50 to apply. Not sure how competitive I am, though I took two years of university Chinese and believe I have two good letters of rec, so keeping my hopes up! LA’s office says the same stuff about interviews, though in older forums I rarely heard of anyone actually getting interviewed.