Huayu Enrichment Scholarship Applicants 2010-2011

So supposedly Washington, DC office will notify applicants tomorrow, May 15th. I get all my emails on my Blackberry. So as soon as I find out anything I will be posting my results… :pray:

I would aim for Monday or Tuesday. I called yesterday and was told that they would be making their decision in the next few days. The decision date may be the 15th, but that doesn’t mean that they’ll be letting us know the same day. Still, only a few days left now^^

[quote=“Rypervenche”]I would aim for Monday or Tuesday. I called yesterday and was told that they would be making their decision in the next few days. The decision date may be the 15th, but that doesn’t mean that they’ll be letting us know the same day. Still, only a few days left now^^[/quote]Yea… I figured that. Well I hope we both get it. :smiley:

Does anyone know if you’re allowed to get part time work while on the Huayu scholarship?

[quote=“Horza”]Does anyone know if you’re allowed to get part time work while on the Huayu scholarship?[/quote]Horza,
I don’t think you can work on a student visa. Whether or not u have the scholarship. I heard there may be some exceptions, like if you work at the school or something, but I’m not sure. :ponder:

Hmmm I see. In that case, does anyone know how far 25k NT$ a month goes for living and studying? I’m sure it’s possible, but I had grand ideas of working a few hours a week (teaching English/translating…or anything) in order to earn a bit of extra cash. Might this still be possible with something like private tutoring?

Here Horza, check out this site.
snigel.nu/?tag=Huayu-Enrichment-Scholarship

The first post is everything you’ll need to know. It is someone who went to Taiwan on the scholarship and he goes over his expenses. According to him it is possible.

As for work, you could always work under the table tutoring someone. I’m sure there will people who want a native English speaker to help them with their English and are willing to pay you to help.

Hey Sanlynn? Were you aware that the D.C. office only gives out 3-month scholarships? I just got an email notifying me of that…I applied for the full year… ; ;

[quote=“Rypervenche”]Hey Sanlynn? Were you aware that the D.C. office only gives out 3-month scholarships? I just got an email notifying me of that…I applied for the full year… ; ;[/quote] :smiley: Yea I did know that. Thankfully that’s what I applied for. I read something somewhere that said that they were splitting up the one-year scholarships to 3-months to give more applicants a chance to get it. BTW, that link you mentioned to Horza is how I even found out about the scholarship… Last August I was thinking, ‘Hey I should go to Taiwan and study’ (the day before this was the farthest thing from my mind) so I googled “study Chinese in Taiwan” and VOILA! That site was really informative. I highly recommend looking it up to anyone. :thumbsup:

Rypervenche,
Wait… You got an email from DC? :astonished: When? What did it say? I’m getting so tired of waiting… :cry:

[quote=“Sanlynn”]Rypervenche,
Wait… You got an email from DC? :astonished: When? What did it say? I’m getting so tired of waiting… :cry:[/quote]
Nope, just an email asking if I stilled wanted to apply for the 3-month period, so they still haven’t even chosen…

[quote=“Rypervenche”][quote=“Sanlynn”]Rypervenche,
Wait… You got an email from DC? :astonished: When? What did it say? I’m getting so tired of waiting… :cry:[/quote]
Nope, just an email asking if I stilled wanted to apply for the 3-month period, so they still haven’t even chosen…[/quote]So I’m assuming you told them that you did want the 3-month scholarship?

[quote=“Sanlynn”][quote=“Rypervenche”][quote=“Sanlynn”]Rypervenche,
Nope, just an email asking if I stilled wanted to apply for the 3-month period, so they still haven’t even chosen…[/quote]So I’m assuming you told them that you did want the 3-month scholarship?[/quote]
Yep…I’m still going to try to stay for an entire year, although I have no clue how…

Here Horza, check out this site.
snigel.nu/?tag=Huayu-Enrichment-Scholarship

The first post is everything you’ll need to know. It is someone who went to Taiwan on the scholarship and he goes over his expenses. According to him it is possible.

As for work, you could always work under the table tutoring someone. I’m sure there will people who want a native English speaker to help them with their English and are willing to pay you to help.[/quote]

Cheers mate, that’s a helpful link.

May 30th will make it one month since we have been waiting for a response from TECO… Has anyone else out there heard anything about their application yet? :unamused:

Didnt make it. There were 14 people to speak at the selection interview date, up to 6 got a scholarship. why oh why did they even invite people, burned some money traveling to the embassey… (germany)

[quote=“kakmnesu”]Didnt make it. There were 14 people to speak at the selection interview date, up to 6 got a scholarship. why oh why did they even invite people, burned some money traveling to the embassey… (germany)[/quote]What is the selection interview? You had to be interviewed in Germany?

I didn’t get it. I thought my chances were rather high too. Shame, looks like I’m stuck here.

[quote=“Rypervenche”]I didn’t get it. I thought my chances were rather high too. Shame, looks like I’m stuck here.[/quote]Oh man… Sorry to hear that… I still haven’t heard anything :frowning:

Rypervenche,
Did they send you a letter or did you get an e-mail?