Huayu Enrichment Scholarship Applicants 2010-2011

I got mine the next day.[/quote]Really? What did u do? Send the application overnight?[/quote]
No, I sent them an email with everything they asked for (I sent it to NCCU), and asked them to do it by the next day since I was going to miss the Huayu deadline. They did it (luckily), so it IS possible for them to do it in a day, but I don’t know if they do it for everyone. It is only the pre-admission letter, so it’s nothing big.

They sent you the email on a Saturday?[/quote]
Saturday for me/Friday for them - I live in Taiwan :slight_smile:

Hey Sanlynn, go ahead and give the D.C. office a call and ask them if they have made their decision yet. I would but I have already done it several times and I’m sure they’re sick of me by now :confused: I’ll send you the phone number in a private message. Check your new messages when you see this.

Thanks a lot! :loco:

Call him now! call him call him call him!!! (I’m going nuts from waiting ><) I seriously thought that we would have a response by today since others got theirs on Friday.

So I just called the DC office and I was told that they pushed the decision date to May 15!!! I guess that’s good news?? I dunno… :fume:

Ack! Well, that stinks. Yeah, I suppose it could be a good thing though. I have to find something to do now for the next two weeks. I am going to be thinking about it all the time.

I see all positive posts around here. Don’t know if someone has some negative ‘feedback’. This is what I encountered.

I live in the netherlands and wasn’t able to get the huayu enrichment scholarship for 2011 (more specifically, from march 2011 and then 6 months). Reason: they don’t provide this scholarship.

When I contacted the taiwanese embassy in holland, they told me they weren’t giving any scholarships for the year 2011. It was too early for application (I wrote an email at the end of January). The strange thing is that the application deadline for next year was this year, as you all know. So I wrote back telling them about the information on the website of the taiwanese government. They never wrote back.

I don’t know what to think about this situation. Does anyone know why a country doesn’t provide huayu scholarships? The netherlands did provide this scholarship in previous years.

That’s kinda wierd Wingzzz :doh: because the scholarship we all applied for is for 2010-2011 (sept. 1- August 31, 2011) maybe the netherlands opted not to provide it this year. Sorry 'bout that :noway:

Ack! Well, that stinks. Yeah, I suppose it could be a good thing though. I have to find something to do now for the next two weeks. I am going to be thinking about it all the time.[/quote]

HA!!! So typical. I bet that’s what the Houston office is doing too… Sitting around with their collective thumbs up their butts.

And no, its not good news. I won’t be expecting anything until JUNE at this rate.

I got another email from TECO Houston saying I am an alternate and will be contacted if a position becomes available. This email seemed more official than the last once I received. Kaixi333 did you hear anything? If I were you I’d be checking my email throughout the day I think today might be the day!

Errrrrg… Today’s the day then…

I can’t even check my e-mail until I get home from the office.

I’ve already filled out my visa application, turned on the lights to the aircraft and tested the engine.

I got the same message you did, valor. I’m an “alternate” as well.

:raspberry: Screw that.

[quote=“KaiXi333”]I got the same message you did, valor. I’m an “alternate” as well.

:raspberry: Screw that.[/quote]So if u r an alternate, does that mean that if someone doesn’t claim the scholarship you will get it? Do they give u a number or something? How do you know where on the alternate list you are? Just curious… I mean, not that DC is even close to making a decision or anything. I’ll be in Taipei in October and I need to know if I have to start a “bread and water” diet for the next 4 months to save money for my stay…oh well… To all those who agonizingly waiting… I feel your pain… To those who didn’t get the scholarship or are alternates… My sympathies…
Oh yea and congrats 2 the recipients… :bravo:

Hey Sanlynn, if we both get the scholarship, we need to exchange email addresses or something. It would be cool if we were in the same class.

Sorry to hear that Kaixi333. I imagine the competition was fierce at Houston TECO if we both didn’t get in. I’m wondering if they put everyone on that alternate list? :ponder: Anyways I’m not expecting to get the scholarship. I’m already in Taiwan so most likely I’ll cut my teaching hours to just enough to pay rent/food and dip into my savings a little to pay tuition for a semester. If by some miracle someone decides to decline free money and one of us gets the scholarship please let us know here! Kaixi333 where do you plan on studying again?

Yeah… Thanks, valor… I’m still pissed about it… :fume: I imagine a bunch of jerkoffs at UT hogging all the damn scholarship money so they can play around with their “Asian Adventure” and whack off to their fetishes. :fume: Actually I like UT a lot… but still… :laughing:

I don’t know how the “alternate” list works but I’d say our chances are a snowball’s in hell.

So anyways… I’m going to do the same thing as you… I’ll work here in Dallas an extra month and stash some more money away. I should have at minimum $5,500, and I’ve already paid for the dorm, got a ticket and set aside tuition. The only thing those jerks at the Houston embassy did was delay my clothes shopping spree before I take off.

As for me, I’m going to the ICLP at National Taiwan University. The really costly, intensive program. In Taipei. Which one are you going to?

[quote=“Sanlynn”][quote=“KaiXi333”]I got the same message you did, valor. I’m an “alternate” as well.

:raspberry: Screw that.[/quote]So if u r an alternate, does that mean that if someone doesn’t claim the scholarship you will get it? Do they give u a number or something? How do you know where on the alternate list you are? Just curious… :[/quote]

I’d imagine all the “alternates” go into the “alternate” file and ultimately end up somewhere in the Houston landfill.

I’m going to NCCU aka MLC in Taipei… With or without the scholarship. :raspberry:

Good man… Me too… :raspberry: