:facebook: Huge protest in HK against Chinese extradition law

You can google it.

If Hk police fail then PLA stationed here will take over in seconds.

That’s not very helpful at all. I mean I tried to google it but doesn’t answer why the case would be different in Taiwan vs Hong Kong. Does that mean civil law countries can prosecute for crimes outside of its jurisdictions?

Issue here is this law was rushed through with inadequate consultation so the public, lawyers, journalists, business sector, chambers of commerce, governments etc etc have suggested and supported a restart of longer consultation (than 20 days) before legislation.

Here is an interesting Financial take on the HK market quite long @Brianjones may find it interesting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBl05xNq_AU&feature=share

Hk at present doesn’t have extradition law or treaty with Taiwan, Macau and the mainland.

Until 2047 it should not have.

I agree!

1 Like

I witnessed yesterday’s peaceful protest of 500,000 to 1,000,000 Hkers marching for freedom, justice and the rule of law.

It was shortly after midnight when the official protest ended that the youth groups stormed and tried to block 2/3 streets on Hk island.

1 Like

make it easy on the newbs.
is that a good thing they stormed the streets?
I’m just catching up on news.
someone elsewhere said some cops were batoning people like in the 60s/70s

Lots of footage on YouTube…watch the confrontations.

I’m rather sad as the youth should be against the HKSAR government and not the police. The police in the past have always been friendly and helpful but since the 2014 occupy movement they are now less compassionate towards the public. I appreciate their dedicated service to HK for countless years but now they have changed with the times.

Both the northern and southern emperors are shaken now but remember they serve less of the people of China and more of the members of their party.

Pepper sprays and batons were used to subdue the youth protesters.

More and more Hkers are experiencing despair on their future. The young too are totally uncertain and lack confidence on their road ahead.

Migration and immigration are on the cards for many young people but no worries just as many if not more from the north will move to HK as HK integrates with the GREATER BAY AREA in the next 5-10 years.

I’m rooting for the protesters, but I’m betting on the tanks.

Is it bad if I think it might take tanks and a tragedy to get enough momentum for anything major?

That’s not how it worked out after Tienanmen.

Sadness and anger can have the same causes, but drastically different effects. If everyone gets sad about this, then Kong Kong is finished.

Never call something a tragedy.

Did they have the power of social media back then? I think social media has changed the game here. CCP won’t be able to cover this up. Videos would be spread so quickly not just in HK, but around the world. HK will probably get international support as well. I

As in the video I posted earlier , Hong Kong is now in a situation where , legally , the monied can exchange HKD for USD and take their cash out . That situation will come to an end soon , when China tries to arrest outflows ( as is now seen in the PRC …huge reduction in Chinese buyers of art etc now … almost zero , as they have made it so hard to get money out . At the moment HK gets investment under UK and US financial rules . Any ruling that is against the agreements on personal freedoms that were agreed , will end that stability .

A man will sooner forget the death of his father than the loss of his inheritance