Human Trafficking in Taiwan

Trafficking kids? First I have heard of that in Taiwan.
Are these kids getting TW id cards?

Trafficking Mainland women. This we have heard a lot of, and they still keep coming:

I’ve heard USA agencies making statements about human trafficking in Taiwan and always wondered why…

Corrupt executives at Chung Shan Hospital in Taipei helped facilitate the trafficking of thousands of Chinese nationals into Taiwan. Their scheme is now reportedly busted.

Guy

2 Likes

Wow huge number

The numbers seem off. 24000 people. Under 18 million dollars. Less than a 1000nt per person.

Whenever I see these kind of stories, the profit made is always below what the numbers suggest it should be.

Whenever we think that, one of my first questions is: did they add another zero?

For what it’s worth, the number—around 24,000—also appears in a Focus Taiwan story:

The defendants [working at Chung Shan Hospital] had earned NT$17.85 million (US$557,800) from these fake checkups to help 24,600 Chinese come to Taiwan during the four-year period, prosecutors said.

Guy

2 Likes

Are these people currently over staying in Taiwan ?

More human trafficking groups were reportedly busted in Taoyuan.

Guy

2 Likes

Honestly didn’t think this was a big problem in Taiwan
Guess I was wrong

Kidnapping used to bring the death penalty
They need to bring that back

It isnt great for face. People tend to be ostracized for speaking up about such disgraceful things. Until the government says so. Taiwan is a great place, but it has real problems regardless of the all too common denial. Bringing in illegal women for abuse is as old as Taiwan (roc) itself.

Apparently it’s not just bringing in women illegally it’s advertising fake good jobs for unsuspecting local women who are then basically locked up against their will and made to do illegal acts

This is a major issue that can not be allowed in society and the criminals should be executed as they were before

Kidnapping is a capital crime , it was and should be again

Or nobody is safe

3 Likes

Arguable, but I put rape above kidnapping. regardless, They definitely do need a stronger deterrent! If not the death penalty, perhaps more enforcement. we have police driving around everywhere in this country and we have brothels everywhere as well. numbers just dont add up if we to be expected to think the government actually gives a shit.

Wow this is the first time I have heard of this. I hope she can find some closure.

Kuo Downing-Reese (郭慧如) is visiting Taiwan in search of her birth mother. Kuo was trafficked by the infamous Chu Li-ching organization that sold at least 35 Taiwanese children to overseas adoptive parents in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Source: https://twitter.com/shu_wang_gong/status/1677218046870720513

Guy

1 Like

More brilliant reporting by Louise Watt at Taiwan Plus, following the above named Kuo Downing-Reese in her attempt to track down her biological parents in Taiwan. One part of her story that has emerged is the likelihood, established through a DNA test, that she is partially Indigenous. Her travels in this story take her to Wulai in what is now Xinbei. The story is embedded below:

https://twitter.com/taiwanplusnews/status/1678373507628175361

Guy

1 Like

I wonder if her parents sold her and could be subsequently criminally charged.

2 Likes

Two artists from Kenya were lured to Taiwan with promises of performing for money, only to end up trapped in dangerous manual labor.

The Kenyan ones make me wonder. Moreso about why they are more commkn than certain others of the region. I know 5 personally, 2 were friends. Brought here by a rich guy running lots of tourism operations but also bringing in ladyboys from Thailand, women from Vietnam. I met the boss as he got out of prison, educated. Fluent in English. Lots of projects with government. These kenyan guys disappeared later on after a night of drinking gone wrong, I was there with them. It’s a no joke issue here. One of the higher ups of kaohsiung police department came to get one of the friends out of the hospital and avoid local police, to whom I was trying to talk them out of arresting said friend. 2 weeks later, bye bye. I suspect just sent back. I hope so at least, though despite trying to contact them, there has been zero response since…and we got along great. I often wonder how, even in this day and age, they can get away with such shit. Moreso the importationof women for sex trade. Of which I sadly know many more who get abused this way. Pretty fucking gross. But, then, I guess that’s a rhetorical question :cold_sweat:

3 Likes

The underworld is alive and well in Taiwan

3 Likes

Via the deep sea fishing fleet?

My best guess would be they sent them back before the government locked the one guys passport. Normally, there is a slight delay from being caught for a crime and getting your passport locked here. It varies. Them pausing the the police reports probably made it easy to ship them back for “normal reasons” (ending employment, visas etc). At least, I hope so. I tell myself this anyway. The mystery is why i have gotten zero ckntact since. We became quite close after getting them out of the hospital and police custody. I dont know. The way I saw all the women treated is a completely different ball game. Some have literal ID codes tattooed just slightly off skin tone. It’s nuts. Taiwans great, but there are some truly evil people here. Like everywhere. Best to collect evidence and discretely get them caught in my opinion. Those peices of shit don’t deserve freedom. Nevermind wealth.

1 Like