Hundreds of 1,000-year-old Taiwan red cypress found

Verry very difficult. Its a collection of fiefdoms here (goes for almost all fields in Taiwan). There are some very good people nationally but local government corruption can be very extreme.

The trees that are clearly marked in national parks should be okay , generally. On the tourist route is good. But its the trees on forestry bureau land…they do an absolute shit job of protecting. Thats my imoression anyway.

I think the issue is, at least with me and my circles , we wouldnt ever post details online or publicly nor talk to strangers for our safety. There are murders each year from mountain rats, so everyone is worried and careful. Its not ultra common, but we all know at least a few. Forestry department, like police invesogations, arent going to want to talk about details very much either for clear reasons. If a person wants to write an article, probably easier going through tourism channels to try and network yourself into a meeting with forestry and make it an educational/public awareness type thing. I personally think it will be quite hard otherwise without deep roots in the industry. Networking helps a lot.

There is a fine line between legal and illegal in forestry and the entire thing is a mess of intertwinned BS between business, government and universities. Even river logs are controlled and heavily monitored by police, its a whole black market here just on that.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

I also believe there are some good people out there…that’s very interesting about the parts of forestry bureau land. I guess not many people venture there…

Murders!! I think I am very naive. I guess if you have people in your pocket, then they won’t talk about things anyway…

Thank you for suggesting the tourism channel route.

The last thing I want is to put anyone in danger…

Thank you!

Vast areas of land in Taiwan are controlled by the forestry bureau. You can hike through some parts with permits.

I think its fine to approach different orgs and see how you help them do better and integrate internationally.

Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks. I shall def look into that :slight_smile:

Was just watching about the arrest of illegal harvesters of a 4000 kg teak tree last night.

2 Likes

Teak is an introduced species planted intentionally. Most of the illegal cuts of it are just simply based on rights to use land not because that species of tree was cut down.

4000kg isnt , big tree either. Thats more media pumping up their story. The real crime is.theft not so much consevation related i guess is what i am trying to say. usually these crimes are commited by unorganized idiots all over and with loads of species because with teak its usually an. organized crime situation going through places like Myanmar where taiwanese legal mountain rats have a decent presence :frowning:

I would be more gutted if it were an endangered native species. This is more a crime against the people than against the environment (usually)

3 Likes