Hymen Alert

Did anyone see that half-page anti-premarital sex advertorial from the Health Department in today’s Taipei Times? (Not sure if it was in any other papers.) I wasn’t sure whether to laugh or cry. It has to be seen to be believed.

My favorite line is [sic] “too much sexual intercourse could lead to pain in genitalia, or causes some psychological problems, like headache, insomnia…” I thought not getting enough sexual intercourse led to these problems. It also tells women not to break their hymens, because most men “care about the virginity of their wives.”

Just another step back for Taiwan.

[quote=“Flicka”]Did anyone see that half-page anti-premarital sex advertorial from the Health Department in today’s Taipei Times? (Not sure if it was in any other papers.) I wasn’t sure whether to laugh or cry. It has to be seen to be believed.

My favorite line is [sic] “too much sexual intercourse could lead to pain in genitalia, or causes some psychological problems, like headache, insomnia…” I thought not getting enough sexual intercourse led to these problems. It also tells women not to break their hymens, because most men “care about the virginity of their wives.”

Just another step back for Taiwan.[/quote]
And I’m sure that the reason they put this in an English paper is because lots of naughty Taiwanese girls who love all things foreign often read the TT. Chain of logic: female, enjoys reading English>loves all things foreign including foreign guys>shameless slut whore. Such impressionable young ladies must be protected at all costs!

Just saw it also. Couldn’t believe it was sponsored by the Deparment of Health.

And given the DOH logo below . . .

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Just saw it also. Couldn’t believe it was sponsored by the Deparment of Health.

And given the DOH logo below . . .

HG[/quote]
I think they just copied a bunch of stuff from Jeff Locker’s book. Is that him in the picture?

Protect those Hymens ladies…I also loved the fact that you should remember to use a new condom with every person…

So men insist on their wives having hymens ? How would they know ? How would some poor girl who’s hymen broke riding a bicycle feel reading that ?
There are probably good reasons for not having premarital sex, but that is not one.

“There are a lot of bad results of having premarital sex for girls, such as (1.) Lack of commitment… (2.) The honeymoon is over…” Those are bad results ? Honeymoon premarital sex ? I wouldn’t worry about it, noone would understand this gobbledygook.

Sigh I sure wish I still had my hymen … maybe the boys would love me more then … :unamused:

I’d lay a bet that teenage pregnancy is on the rise here and this is some sort of inane 1950’s type tactic to try to nip this trend in the bud.

The Taiwanese are some of the most naive, gullible and impressionable people in the world. It’s endearing…in a way. :frowning:

BFM,
Don’t forget that using tampons is another danger to a girl’s virginity.

:unamused:

What they need to do is start teaching people about condoms and how to use them properly. It’s appalling how many people here don’t know anything about safe sex. Not only is unwanted pregnancy on the rise, but HIV/AIDS has really exploded in the past two years. The reported numbers are scary enough, not to mention the unreported and undiagnosed cases because Taiwanese aren’t willing to (or don’t know that they should) go get tested. For all of Chen Shui-bian’s talk of being “progressive” and reforming education, they sure aren’t doing anything about sex education. Taiwan is going to become another Thailand if they’re not careful … maybe it’s already too late. :?

Mind you can always have it repaired: http://www.labiadoctor.com/

[quote]Hymen Repair Surgery, Hymenoplasty, Hymenorraphy, Restoration

We perform expert hymen repair surgery (hymenoplasty, hymenorrhaphy) or restoration of the hymenal ring in our clean, ultra-modern private OB/GYN office. [/quote]
Not sure what they can do for you Little Buddha. Perhaps you can resort to the little sache of blood sneakily poured onto the sheets as favoured in some parts of the world.

Alien. Umm, heard you say this to Fred a few times but, don’t generalise too much. Some are, or is is that just compliance? In any case when I see shit like this I really pity the ones that aren’t. Straight out of the fifties . . . or the mind of some compolete freak like John “the complete tosser” Howard.

Might wander over and see if I can see it in any of the Chinese newspapers. If its not there then Jive Turkey may have a point about targeting local lasses that like the non-local laddies. I’d hate to think it was that thought out.

HG

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Alien. Umm, heard you say this to Fred a few times but, don’t generalise too much. Some are, or is is that just compliance? In any case when I see shit like this I really pity the ones that aren’t. Straight out of the fifties . . . or the mind of some compolete freak like John “the complete tosser” Howard. [/quote]
Perhaps I should have said the Taiwanese ‘girls in my office’, instead! :wink:
You wouldn’t believe some of the stuff I’ve heard here!

I will actually buy that newspaper just for the ad after work (god forbid) and do a little investigation of my own. Findings shall be reported on this thread.

Well that’s a load of crap. I’ve been using the same one since 1993 and it still works just fine, although experience has taught me that its best to wash it out now and then.

:laughing: Never feer, LB, there’s always hymen restoration.

As for the ad being in the Taipei Times… Maybe the TT sent this (horribly misleading) front page article to the Department of Health in a plea for more advertising.

Got a damaged hymen? Maybe it was Li Denghui…
:laughing:

Lee fingers Soong in Chung Hsing case

I think there was an article in Taipei Times about how the rate is now like the highest in Asia. Of course, this is all the woman’s fault, if you are to believe the ad.

I agree, LittleBuddhaTW, they need to direct their energy more to AIDS education. I’ve had way too many people here tell me they can tell is a person if HIV+ just, I repeat, just by looking at them.

I posted the link to this article in my comments above. And yes, with the advancements made in the area of self-impregnation and asexual reproduction in recent years, it IS all the woman’s fault. :laughing:

We should establish a “shadow” Ministry of Health and place an alternate advertisement in the TT. It should begin with something like this: “Yes, ladies, to the average (prospective) wife beating, cheating Taiwanese husband, the integrity of your hymen is of paramount importance. However, there’s nothing like a good hard shag to take the edge off at the end of a long work week. For those of you who actually are not saving your virginity so that you can have the most awkward, disappointing wedding night possible, here are some sensible tips for protecting yourself from sexually transmitted diseases or a career ending unplanned pregnancy…” Anyone willing to pitch in a few bucks for an ad like this?

Yeah, usually they have rounder eyes and fairer skin :wink: The men are hairier too.

Just scanned the Chinese newspapers in the office here this morning and there’s no evidence of a similar ad in any of them. Consensus among the Taiwanese office staff is that its aimed at foreigners. “You know, you foreigners are just more into it, doesn’t matter so much to lose your virginity before marriage.” “Oh I see, so you were all virgins before you were married?” Pregnant pause . . . (no pun intended).

I think it’s a result of a particularly stupid administrator in the DOH being suckered by teh Typo Times ad seakers. Nothing more. I was tempted to draw some conclusion by the fact it wasn’t in the predominantly KMT China Post but I think it’s the aforementioned klutz in this case.

Ha ha.

HG

ROTF LOL! Yes, the 1950s have come to Taiwan, via this advert insert. How very very strange.

It could not be targeting foreingers, no way. It is intended to reach impressionable young women in taiwan and also the WHO officials in GEneva who read the TT every day. This will let WHO know who is boss. YUCK! What;s next? The twist?