I am upset for the reasons I state in my second post

If you join in this forum, you will expect to read threads disagreeing with you. Some people didn’t agree to things I said in one thread. They tried to be sarcastic. But, they were quite friendly in another thread. I don’t think you should take things in person if you really want to debate. If you think people are teasing you, there are ways to deal with it. I just respond politely and move on. If they keep insisting, then I just ignore. When they realize I ignore them, they will treat me better in other threads.

1 Like

You’ve about described this forum… :stuck_out_tongue:

It can be a fun place here, but it can sometimes be irritating. I come and go with it (I joined in 2003-ish?). Lots of good info, POVs, and silly ribbing. It’s an online forum - take it for what it is. If I may ask, what were your expectations regarding here?

Edit: I joined in 2005
Edit#2: it seems it was 2004 based on when I made my first silly post…honestly, I don’t know exactly when I joined as I can’t seem to find that info on my profile info. Also, I’ve now spent more time on this than intended. Cheers!

2 Likes

FIFY

This may help, now you can move on :wink:

2 Likes

Wow. Congratulations on your successful app. Not really a user but it’s a good idea.

2 Likes

You left out the part with the mirror

1 Like

Ta!

Took me a minute to figure out what you meant.
No, that apps not mine.

How could I forget?

2 Likes

@Pickle you have to just ignore the irrational and ill-mannered people. If you decide to engage with them, you get what you get. You claim to have been here on and off for 10 years. Not much has changed. There are fewer people. Maybe a higher percentage are aggressive and the community oriented have moved on to FB, but it still is what it is.

Also, it’s fine to be eccentric, but not everyone loves reading random or nonsensical comments.

I don’t get that. This is actually one of the more polite forums I’ve been a part of. The “irrational and ill-mannered” posters are usually those who come here and push their viewpoints very aggressively and flame out after a couple weeks never to be seen again (either by their own accord or banned). Most of the regulars are quite nice and welcoming. If you want to see a real toxic environment, visit certain sub-Reddits.

7 Likes

Please back that up with something for god’s sake. I’ve never really understood the forum bashing that goes on in here from time to time by malcontents. Most of the irrational and ill-mannered behavour comes from fly-by-night newbies looking to start a fight.

6 Likes

Or those who start innumerable boring threads that no one responds to and just keep plugging away in the same vein.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN6Wja7_RDQ

2 Likes

Sorry, I should have said I was referring to forums generally, not just this one. That said, I think some of the long timers here fit the category. Everyone has their own standard. I don’t even bother thinking about people on subreddits. I just assume everyone there has created a fake online persona.

I mean…If you don’t see anyone like that here then it’s fine. I haven’t kept a list of all the ignorant stuff (or stuff I’ve found to be ignorant, opinions differ) people have said and I don’t feel like searching it. Everyone has their own way of relating to others and there are different opinions of what constitutes manners and rationality.

I’m not bashing this forum in particular. I don’t don’t think I’m bashing at all. I don’t like some people, and some people don’t like me (I assume) here and elsewhere. I just ignore and don’t engage the people I don’t want to talk to. It’s just a survival mechanism I have for online discussions. Otherwise, I’ll stay up all night telling people why they’re wrong, only to have them reply with something I, once again, find ignorant and rude. It’s a waste of time.

You two are cool with me, though. That’s why I’m talking to you, though I doubt you’d care if I didn’t.

1 Like

I cooked a lasagne for the better half tonight. It was OK, but a bit disappointing.

EDIT: crap, wrong thread.

1 Like

Yup …wrong room
:smile:

1 Like

Subreddits are toxic by nature as the upvote downvote options bury polite discourse by groupthink.

1 Like

I’m not argumentative.

Yes you are . We have the British illness.

No I’m not.