I have friendship problem with Taiwan female friends

In my experience, local-born Taiwanese tend to be narrow-minded and intolerant towards other races/cultures because most have been brought up in a mono-race/culture environment.

Even my parents who spent 10+ years living abroad still exhibit blatant racism (ie “He’s pretty handsome for a wai guo ren” or “He’s a smart black guy”). And for the simple fact that I was not born in Taiwan, most Taiwanese (even those with advanced degrees) consider me a “foreigner”.

Sara8888: Unfortunately, it probably doesn’t have anything to do with what you’re doing, the fact that you’re not Taiwanese is automatically a strike against you. Not to mention that Taiwanese girls are insanely jealous and paranoid about foreign girls stealing the Taiwanese men.

Indiana,

I’ve got this great idea for making Taiwanese female friends. First thing you should do is give away all your clothing to the poor, except for one outfit. Now, donning this final outfit, make your way to the Hello Kitty store, where you will buy your new wardrobe entirely. I mean, if a grown woman can’t act and dress like a little girl, then she really shouldn’t be in Taiwan. You know what they say, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. When a woman and in Taiwan, act like a coy child. Let’s see what’s next…ah! Yes, you must avoid the sun like a cochroach. Always carry an umbrella with you wherever you go, especially on sunny, cloudless days. Do not go to the beach. Only foreign whores go there. Do no play sports. Only foreign whores do that. Do not sit in the sun and drink cold beer. Only foreign whores do that. Now, after a few months out of harm’s way, check your body entirely for freckles. If you gasp!, have any freckles, then repent from your wickedness by spending huge sums of money to have them surgically removed, like the Japanese woman on this thread did. Take a second job if you need to, but remove all vestiges of a healthy, active lifestyle, even if it kills you.

Now you absolutely must learn Chinese. Otherwise, how are you going to gossip about all the other women? Beyond that, think long-term. It’s possible a new Hello Kitty handbag could be released, and the salespeople who are announcing this boon like the town crier will be speaking in Chinese…AND YOU COULD MISS YOUR CHANCE. Think about it.

Oh, and whatever haircut all the Taiwanese females around you have, run out and get that same haircut. Buy lots of make up and cake it on, and every night rub on “skin whitening” cream. If your teeth aren’t absolutely perfect, cover your mouth when you laugh…and don’t laugh heartily either, instead titter like a mouse; that’s what ladies do. Do you have any stuffed animals? If not, get lots of them, and spread them all over your room. Don’t be shy about carrying one or two around with you while you spend hours at the mall, especially if its a Pikachu or a white teddy bear. And while you’re at the mall, make sure you buy lots of over-padded bras and skin-colored tape. Only foreign whores have nipples.

Under no circumstances are you to talk about sex, since only foreign…oh wait! You’re married. In that case, make sure you talk about sex as frequently and graphically as possible. It’s to make up for all those years you pretended to be a virgin.

Hope that helps.

[quote=“gao_bo_han”]Indiana,

I’ve got this great idea for making Taiwanese female friends. First thing you should do is give away all your clothing to the poor, except for one outfit. Now, donning this final outfit, make your way to the Hello Kitty store, where you will buy your new wardrobe entirely. I mean, if a grown woman can’t act and dress like a little girl, then she really shouldn’t be in Taiwan. You know what they say, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. When a woman and in Taiwan, act like a coy child. Let’s see what’s next…ah! Yes, you must avoid the sun like a cochroach. Always carry an umbrella with you wherever you go, especially on sunny, cloudless days. Do not go to the beach. Only foreign whores go there. Do no play sports. Only foreign whores do that. Do not sit in the sun and drink cold beer. Only foreign whores do that. Now, after a few months out of harm’s way, check your body entirely for freckles. If you gasp!, have any freckles, then repent from your wickedness by spending huge sums of money to have them surgically removed, like the Japanese woman on this thread did. Take a second job if you need to, but remove all vestiges of a healthy, active lifestyle, even if it kills you.

Now you absolutely must learn Chinese. Otherwise, how are you going to gossip about all the other women? Beyond that, think long-term. It’s possible a new Hello Kitty handbag could be released, and the salespeople who are announcing this boon like the town crier will be speaking in Chinese…AND YOU COULD MISS YOUR CHANCE. Think about it.

Oh, and whatever haircut all the Taiwanese females around you have, run out and get that same haircut. Buy lots of make up and cake it on, and every night rub on “skin whitening” cream. If your teeth aren’t absolutely perfect, cover your mouth when you laugh…and don’t laugh heartily either, instead titter like a mouse; that’s what ladies do. Do you have any stuffed animals? If not, get lots of them, and spread them all over your room. Don’t be shy about carrying one or two around with you while you spend hours at the mall, especially if its a Pikachu or a white teddy bear. And while you’re at the mall, make sure you buy lots of over-padded bras and skin-colored tape. Only foreign whores have nipples.

Under no circumstances are you to talk about sex, since only foreign…oh wait! You’re married. In that case, make sure you talk about sex as frequently and graphically as possible. It’s to make up for all those years you pretended to be a virgin.

Hope that helps.[/quote]

I love you. heheheheheh.

Indiana: I’ve been here for 5 years too, and while having some fun chatting about general stuff with my boyfriend’s friends wives and girlfriends, I can’t really say I have a “real” taiwanese female friend. I also happen to get along better with taiwanese men, for some reasons, but it doesn’t go down well with the BF, and I understand/respect that.

Lingq: It’s not because Taiwanese girls are not “nice” people, far from it. It’s just totally different backgrounds, values, goals, aspirations, views… All that makes it hard to relate.

Mesheel, you’re lucky to have such gems as cool local women in your social circle!!! BTW, how are the wedding plans comming up? (Totally unrelated but I felt like asking). I’m also a non-Asian woman dating a Taiwanese guy, and will most probably go down the wedding road next summer.

I’ve seen a HUGE difference in married Taiwanese woman as potential friends though and will keep that in mind. But as with married life in general, it keeps people busy and friends are not a priority, which is totally understandable.

And for whoever had problems with coworkers, you learned an invaluable lesson here: at work, just smile and wave. Never complain about anything. Think of it as a game and imagine yourself in China in the late 60’s, Party purge, that sort of thing… That should get you in the right mindset !!! I did that mistake too a few years ago and would have decapitated that hypocritical girl that went on to say everything to the boss. But I’m glad I learned that lesson there and not in a job I actually cared about!!!

And finally, Sara 8888, you sound like fun. I’m from French descent (read, I can drink) and most of my BF’s friends are amazed that I can drink and could drink them under the table, while they are all read and puffy eyed after hald a beer! That being said, I don’t know what their GF say about that, but I don’t care either. Send me a private message if you want to let some steam off or have a strange drinking foreign female friend!!!

Hope that helps.[/quote]

:roflmao: That was absolutely BRILLIANT!!! So true!! :roflmao:

As we’re talking about Taiwanese girls (being of a certain age…) I’d like to share this story…

In the apartment where I live there are two twgirls living on either side of me. They are friends and both are nurses in their mid 20’s. Hello Kitty and everything… Really…

About two months ago (shortly after they moved into the aforementioned apartments) they knocked on my door one evening after I had returned from work… All smiling, cutesy and giggly they had a boon to ask of me. As they sometimes work night shift and sleep during the day they asked me to promptly turn off my alarm clock in the mornings (read anywhere from 11am to 2pm depending on the day’s schedule). The thing being that I’m a heavy sleeper and it takes anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes of ringing and the cel phone alarm to wake me up. something I never considered would bother the neighbours as most (if not all) would be at work during that time. Ok, I would try I assured them.

Recently they’ve (although they always smile all friendly like at me) taken to giving the girls that come in and out of my apartment (read nothing dodgey into this - language exchange partners, friends and so forth see…) very dirty looks. The kind of look that screams, “You filthy little whore… We know what you’ve been up to…”
Laughably enough, the one girl in particular has now once again gone on night shift rotation and gets home around 3am. At this juncture I should also mention that one never sees gentlemen enter or leave their apartments. One is only satisfied with the fact that they have relationships due to the sounds of male voices emanating from their apartments…
Her ritual is as follows. 3am she arrives home (as this is the time I usually get ready to go to bed I hear the clopping of feet and the opening and closing of doors - our apartments are really not very sound proof) 3am to 4am there seems to be much eating and TV watching, even the occasional shower. 4am the fun starts. I am then (entertained??) kept awake by the sounds of boisterous lovemaking, much screaming of passion and banging of the head board against the wall… :astonished:

But seriously. It really does get a little too rowdy at times.

My point being, even Hello Kitty loving, ludicrous fashion following “good” girls in tw love boisterous bonking. Outwardly they may give other girls the eye and pretend to be better. But behind closed doors in the dead of night, they too are V8 engined passion wagons wanting some good lovin’.

Keep that in mind as it speaks volumes. Do what you want, but don’t flaunt it. That’s if you actually care what they think. Otherwise, toss 'em and live your life as you choose. Find your friends where you may. And be happy with the little kingdom you build around yourself that you may call your life.

Good luck with all that. And I wish you make the best of friends (male and female, foreign and local) that your truely deserve in the year that follows.

[quote=“guangtou”] I worked in academe here as a research fellow through 2002-2003, and by the end of my stretch came-out feeling totally used and abused. For a fair chunk of the educated elite in Taiwan, a foreign face with a degree is an ‘opportunity’ - to practice their spoken English, to make contacts in foreign lands, to edit their badly constructed and researched articles for publication in offshore journals… These are not nice people.

On the other hand, my closest friend here is a bus driver who calls me and my SO ‘Taiwanese’ without a hint of sarcasm in his voice (we’re both Ozzies). Mr Pan and his wife are worth a hundred of the foreign educated punks I’ve been forced to deal with over the years.[/quote]

:bravo: This is one of the best posts I’ve read in a while. The same could be said for a lot of mid-level government people.

From my experience in Taiwan, the very, very rich and the working class people are absolute gems. :bravo: It is the middle-class professional people (especially in government and academic circles) that are racist, ambitious, and cut-throat. You have to treat these bastards aggressively and with no mercy.

I have been avoiding this thread for issues of minor annoyance which I will actually (for once) be nice enough not to address.
BUT I have to defend the Taiwanese chicks. I know some really kick ass girls here who are Taiwanese.
I know a surfer girl who would kick your ass if you gave her hello kitty.
I know a singer who is about as girly and shallow as Edgar Allen Poe. (He could be girly sometimes)
I know a college student who works her but off in school, in her job, and to help her family and still manages to have the energy to be proactive in helping her school organize a billion things.
I know a dozen other girls who I love (but not as much as these three) whom are all inteligent, not overly girly, independant, creative people. None of which care about the color of my face. All of which do get a little annoyed when I have my anti taiwan moods. All of which help me understand what is going on half the time.

The thing is that one is hard to find. But people hang out with their like kind. So just be patient. When you find one you will find more. They will lead you to others. And maybe you need to start looking in proper places. What are your intrests. Look for friends in places of your intrest.
I love indie music, indie film, and studying (shut up I KNOW I’m a nerd). So I found all my friends in places that had indie music, showed indie film, or were places of learning.
Patience is all you need here. I was here for almost 6 months without meeting a single person I didn’t think had the IQ of a fish. Hell, I even had one person steal from my friend to try to impress me. :unamused: :noway: If you look for your like kind in the places you would find them, if you watch for the traits that your friends at home all share, you will find your friends here. Nothing is wrong with Taiwanese girls. It is just that being that the culture is different you don’t know how to identify your kind. They don’t wear the uniform, they don’t walk the same, they don’t have the same mannerisms, ect.

[quote=“bismarck”]4am the fun starts. I am then (entertained??) kept awake by the sounds of boisterous lovemaking, much screaming of passion and banging of the head board against the wall… :astonished:
[/quote]

You should tape record it and leave a tape next to their door with a note: “Please keep the sound levels of extracurricular activities down to a minimum. Some people are trying to sleep”

Well I’m ethnically Taiwanese but I don’t like Hello Kitty and backstabbers.I can’t be bothered gossiping about other girls and I’m not too concerned about the way I dress…And I love lying in the sun and drinking occassionally :smiley:
I grew up in New Zealand and went through the schooling system there so obviously,my english is fluent.My parents never put any emphasis on me learning mandarin there, therefore my mandarin ability is equivalent to the Cartoon Network in Taiwan.
I was initally thinking about going back to Taiwan for a few years to improve my mandarin.
Yet I am beginning to wonder after reading this,do people in Taiwan display hostility towards ‘Taiwanese’ that have been raised overseas?
Or is it only towards people of ‘non-Taiwanese’ blood?

This thread doesn’t apply to people like you. It’s about complaining about local Taiwanese girls.

There are bimbos everywhere.

It’s just that in Taiwan, the percentage seems ridiculously high…

I’ve got this great idea for making Taiwanese female friends. First thing you should do is give away all your clothing to the poor, except for one outfit. Now, donning this final outfit, make your way to the Hello Kitty store,

…oh wait! You’re married. In that case, make sure you talk about sex as frequently and graphically as possible. It’s to make up for all those years you pretended to be a virgin.

Hope that helps.[/quote]

Brilliant. :notworthy:

[quote=“Chewycorns”][quote=“guangtou”] I worked in academe here as a research fellow through 2002-2003, and by the end of my stretch came-out feeling totally used and abused. For a fair chunk of the educated elite in Taiwan, a foreign face with a degree is an ‘opportunity’ - to practice their spoken English, to make contacts in foreign lands, to edit their badly constructed and researched articles for publication in offshore journals… These are not nice people.

On the other hand, my closest friend here is a bus driver who calls me and my SO ‘Taiwanese’ without a hint of sarcasm in his voice (we’re both Ozzies). Mr Pan and his wife are worth a hundred of the foreign educated punks I’ve been forced to deal with over the years.[/quote]

:bravo: This is one of the best posts I’ve read in a while. The same could be said for a lot of mid-level government people.

From my experience in Taiwan, the very, very rich and the working class people are absolute gems. :bravo: It is the middle-class professional people (especially in government and academic circles) that are racist, ambitious, and cut-throat. You have to treat these bastards aggressively and with no mercy.[/quote]

This has also been my experience. You have to remember that the purpose of a foreign education is to obtain a piece of paper to present to a potential employer in exchange for a higher salary, not to gain a deeper understanding of the world around one or any other such nonsense. It’s all just part of the rat race, and rat race participants are rarely pleasant, especially the enthusiastic ones. It is, after all, a rat race.

I have been here for 2 years and I believe that the men here are also pretty difficult to get to know socially. I know 1 guy, vaguely, who has taken an interest in me that hasn’t turned ‘unhealthy.’ Everyone else wants something fer nuttin from old Tom. Mrs Hill’s brother is the one guy.

I find as one gets older it is more difficult to find a close gal pal, like the ones you have back home. I often find I compare friends here to friends back home, even out loud, and I’m sure that must be annoying. The can’t-let-go syndrome. But for new years one of my resolutions is to stop comparing people with others and just accept people for that. I’m sure I piss people off just as much as they piss me off. So come on, guys, it’s not “Taiwanese chicks are this this this” putting them down or making fun of them. No one will ever like everyone. It could be the wrong crowd of people you’re trying to befriend, or you are comparing your new friends to old friends you shared something with a long time ago.

Sometimes I wonder, do I love my friends back home because we grew up together? Do I really love all of them now or I just want to believe I do?

“My point being, even Hello Kitty loving, ludicrous fashion following “good” girls in tw love boisterous bonking. Outwardly they may give other girls the eye and pretend to be better. But behind closed doors in the dead of night, they too are V8 engined passion wagons wanting some good lovin’.”

Gasp! I am so shocked!!!

Yeah right.

Do you really want me to delve into the putrid depths of Taiwanese hypocrisy? Oh I will, you can bet your bottom dollar, I will.

I envy you, you will little rascal. I envy you this ripe opportunity to expose Taiwanese-cutesy-girls’ hypocrisy. The possibilities are endless. A little investment in sound recording technology could pay dividends my friend. And no I am not talking about bribes…merely revelation. Think of it. Record a few nights of this blissful coitus, then after some choice editing, work up a prettily done, 10 or 20 minute recording. Invite the lovely ladies over for some dumplings, if you are able to make them, and give yourself a good scrubbing top top to tail. Make sure your camera has plenty of film and full batteries. Then, wearing your Sunday best, serving the lasses with dumplings and tea, start up a conversation about the pious modesty of good Taiwanese girls like them. Make sure you mention how impressed you are with their modesty, as compared of course to all those dirty white sluts in your own country. After they’ve agreed heartily and giggled a plenty (while covering their mouths with their dainty little hands, of course), straighten out your silk cravat and ask if the xiaojies if they’d like to hear some traditional Chinese music. “It’s been heard in China throughout the ages,” you’ll say. You then set the volume at maximum, get your camera ready, and pop the tape in. Take the picture right at the moment of dawning comprehension, so you alone will not enjoy the look on their faces. Share and be generous. I’d do it for you.