I keep falling down

Tai chi is good advice. So is using a cane (a cane is less humiliating, imo, than a walker - although a walker may be safest for now). Don’t get just any cane, btw. There is an established way of fitting the length of the cane to your needs; you can find that system online at any site selling canes.

I’d see a doctor in any case. You’re probably still too young to break a hip, but the more you fall the higher the chances go. Or a wrist, or something else.

I’d think those toes that won’t curl have to be part of the problem. It may just be your aging process, too. A doctor should be able to give you the information you need to stay safe.

2 Likes

Please don’t do tai chi before you see a real doctor.

6 Likes

:roll:

7 Likes

Wish you all the best, and hope a doctor can find the reason and a good way to help.

In one case I know (around 70 years old), severe balance issues were likely caused by damage from many years of micro brain strokes. Coincidentally, the falling down happened the first time on his first visit to Taiwan, while walking down yangmingshan.

1 Like

IIRC, you were taking statins some years ago. The most common outcome of long-term statin therapy is neurological and muscular degeneration. The former is a direct outcome of the inhibition of cholesterol synthesis specifically, and the latter appears to be a result of the inhibition of the mevalonate pathway generally, although the jury is still out on that one.

While it would be worth getting checked up as the other replies have suggested, if you have been taking statins for many years this could be the reason. If it does turn out to be the root cause, that’s a good thing, because it’s completely reversible.

I would make a concerted effort to knock the drinking on the head, with professional help if necessary. Even if it’s not causing your immediate problems, the negative effects will become more and more pronounced over the coming years. It is not a nice way to die; I’ve watched it happen. Choose something different.

3 Likes

Westerners can’t squat! :joy:

I’m taking advice here I don’t go over randomly but losing my balance is common for me to age 57.

I do drink to much and conscious. of when I have to much and doesn’t happen.

Go to a doctor. There are a multitude of possible causes for this. And to determine which it is will require tests. The internet won’t provide any answers unfortunately.

2 Likes

Turns out has a lot of positive effects. Higher cholesterol in people over the age of 85 is linked with a reduced decline in memory and thinking ability. Also reduce rates of Alzheimer’s and dementia.

1 Like

This came to mind:

What are you talking about?

Hopefully Jimbo has already used that wonderful health insurance Taiwan provides to get a check up. I mean, it’s so wonderful and cheap and world class.

But this, and some other recent post where he states that he can drink down a fifth of filthy peat stinking scatch in a day seems to be well, significant at his age. One can only ruin one’s vessel for so long before it’s ruined.

Yup. Do it for the children, for Christmas. :christmas_tree:

4 Likes

Ok not all but most westerners cannot squat like Asian, African and Eastern European/Russian.

I’ve never seen a person who couldn’t squat.

Maybe when I was younger lol

1 Like

Really? I’m pretty sure western legs are built the same. I can see people getting older and not being able to do it due to age, maybe there’s muscle memory? I took Karate as a youth and nobody had issues squatting.

I probably wouldn’t expect Agong doing it when he needs a cane.

1 Like

I recall us doing the Asian squat discussion before. I can do it, but it’s a struggle to get up afterwards.

I always thought squats were normal.

You have to have impeccable timing so that you can get down, drop the payload and bounce right back up.

2 Likes

They must be built the same, but my knees would beg to differ :grandpa:

1 Like

I would expect an asian person with bad knees to have the same experience, no?