I live in Taiwan surrounded by Taiwanese. AMA (mad_masala edition)

Do you impose your culture and beliefs yet refuse to learn the local language that would facilitate this?

Hello I am from mainland.
How can we squash deep greens while retaining Taiwanese flavour ?

1 Like

I’m hearing a clicking noise but only when I stand up and pedal. Nice and smooth and noiseless when I stay seated. What is causing this?

What’s the best 7/11 ?

How old are you?

I cannot answer that, this is not my AMA thread.

1 Like

Never mind. It’s a question to the OP.

Oother questions
Which is the best kindergarten for foreign kids who are expected to learn mandarin in a month?

Which public schools are hiring foreign teachers now?

Hello, thank you for coming to this AMA.

I can’t think of a better definition of what I’ve been trying to do in this platform since I joined in 2003.

Hello Brian Jones, thank you for coming. Why do you want us to know you’re from the mainland? Even more, what does that even mean? Do you mean Taiwan? what’s Taiwan’s mainland? are you perhaps trying to say something about Taiwan being somehow related to China? Why do you fucking Chinese have to come here (Forumosa or Taiwan) to start unsettling political topics with people who do not want to to talk politics with you? why?

I’m not sure what you mean, but look for MSG seasoning and that gravy thickener in the shelves of any Carrefour or similar store and you can bring Taiwan’s and Mainland’s cuisine wherever you want.

1 Like

Hello, thank you for coming to this AMA.

I like your question because I like challenges, and because I read nose instead of noise. And why the heck could be doing click in your nose???

My bet is on the bottom bracket (BB) bearings. Not necessarily the bearings, the balls, but the packet and how it sits on the pocket. Although your bike is not a good bike (man you need to spend double the money if you want to impress those young guys you ride with), Giant started to use the fancy press-fit BB’s in most of their bikes, including yours. It looks cool, but sometimes grit or dust gets inside and… the noises appear. If you don’t want to spend a lot of money on repairing the bike (I know you are cheap because you own a white bike), then you can try to dissemble the crankset, clean around, lube, and tighten up all bolts to specs. There’s a preload plastic insert or nut or something, it’s good to set it correctly too.

Man, this IS the question. Or one of the TWO big questions that nobody has dared to tackle here. Some people tried to discuss this topic but it turned out to create a lot of controversy, especially among moderators in this site, and they decided to censor the question and the discussion. There are certain things that certain people don’t want you to discuss or to know.

Yeah, this is not @IbisWtf’s AMA. Please stay focus.

How could I know? Are you saying I’m some sort of pervert or something? I like young beautiful girls, but not THAT young. I’m not interested where children hang out.

That one is a very good question. I think most public schools probably offer positions to foreign teachers but it would be hard to track down openings. I don’t know @tando, maybe there’s some official website, from the government, with all their job openings?

1 Like

I see. Sorry for putting you in a difficult position.

So I’m afraid that asking which brand of instant noodles is the best one might be a bit problematic as well…

The thing is that I have a good recommendation BUT I would need to take a picture, I don’t know what the name is.

I’ve looked at your pictures and it’s obvious that you like Asian things (there are lots of Asians in your pictures, mostly female and wearing shorts), so you can start from the right side of the shelf at 7/11 and try one brand every day until you make it to the left side, or to the one you like the best, or to the hospital perhaps.

1 Like

How many years of your life do you lose for every year that you stay in Taiwan due to the air pollution (ignore food contamination for now).

How many years of your life do you gain for every year that you stay in Taiwan due to a well maintained reproductive system?

2 Likes

Hello, thanks for coming to this AMA.

Scientists have been working on this question recently, and they have come up with exact numbers now made public to people like you and me:

So to live in Taiwan will take away 0.93 years off your life. This might not sound very impressive, but if you were going to live just 40 years, it’s a 2.325% of your life! and if you were going to live 20 (let’s say that you drink too much and like to discuss politics with bigger people) we would be talking about a 4.65% of your lifespan!

5 Likes

Did all that a couple of months ago to get rid of noise. Okay, again I guess. I love the Caarrefour in Hualien with a Giant store inside. I want at least something this good. But my daughter needs a new cello. I’ll just work out harder and lose 1-2 more kilos.
P_20181117_110037_vHDR_On

Cellos go first! I’m a bit concerned about your weight though. You were losing like 0.5 kg per week when you started that weird diet without carbs. It’s been already a year since that, and you might have reached already a top model’s weight. Please stop losing weight.

Is it raining now?

Can you afford an apartment in Taipei?

What is President Tsai Ing-wen thinking about right now?